Trying to picture thylakoid membrane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyisblue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this make sense?

So the thylakoid membrane is where the chlorophyll and accessory pigment molecules are...

So these pigment molecules (chlorphyll and accessory) are in clusters of about 250 or so molecules called antenna complexes, which absorb radiant energy until it reaches a reaction center made of many chlorophyll a molecules that absorb light best at 680nm or 700nm depending on the proteins they are associated with.

These antenna complexes plus the reaction center makes up a photosystem.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Just wanted to add that within the thylakoids are the light absorbing pigments and enzymes for the light dependent reactions. In the surrounding stroma which is fluid filled are the enzymes for the calvin benson cycle or light independent reactions.

Yes. Just wanted to add that within the thylakoids are the light absorbing pigments and enzymes for the light dependent reactions. In the surrounding stroma which is fluid filled are the enzymes for the calvin benson cycle or light independent reactions.

Within the thylakoids or the thylakoid membranes??

the thylakoids are individual membranes that make up the stack of granum. you can call them thylakoids or thylakoid membranes; it really means one and the same thing. I prefer to call them "pancakes" because they are pan cake shaped and helps me remember it better.:D

Members don't see this ad :)
the thylakoids are individual membranes that make up the stack of granum. you can call them thylakoids or thylakoid membranes; it really means one and the same thing. I prefer to call them "pancakes" because they are pan cake shaped and helps me remember it better.:D

Hi Body, I know, but i'm thinking that there's the thylakoid lumen too...

btw, i've been working out a lot in addition to studying for this test.

not lumen, within the membrane.
I havent been working out :( because I havent had the time but once this is over I'm hitting it hard. I need my endorphin fix.;)

not lumen, within the membrane.
I havent been working out :( because I havent had the time but once this is over I'm hitting it hard. I need my endorphin fix.;)

Thanks Body. I need my endorphin fix too, but I have to stay away from the cardio workouts now. It makes me lose weight so I'm doing weights only. If you know what you're doing, you can cut down on workout time.

Going back to figuring out photosynthesis....

Hey, know that photosystem II (H2O splitters) is on the outer membranes of the thylakoids facing the stroma (not the stoma) and that Photosystem I is on the inner. And know what Cartinoids do (accesory pigments). Also know what Rubisco is.