Trying to plan my future career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4chainz

Reaction score
I’m currently an IM resident. I’m a non-US IMG, but I’m expecting a green card in a few years.

I have plans to go back home after working for a few years in the US, so I have a few questions:

1- How feasible it is to do locums for around 4 months a year in the US, and be back home for the rest of the year?
Would working only for 4 months or so in the US be a problem with finding another locum gig?

I want to know if this schedule can be done as a hospitalist or in a subspecialty (I’m probably going to apply for a rheum or endo fellowship)

2- How common it is for those in rheum or endo to take 6-8 weeks off per year in a permanent job? is 8 weeks off something I can negotiate?

3- Can a 4 day/week (ie. 32 hours/week) job be found in either rheum or endo?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
what happened to 2 Chainz?

I think all 3 of your options are reasonable and feasible.

Anything is negotiable, but you will probs take a pay cut.

Definitely doable as a hospitalist rheum or endo.

You seem like a reasonable individual and I think you will definitely find an arrangement that will suit you

Only thing is that rheum is getting more competitive, careful.

I’m currently an IM resident. I’m a non-US IMG, but I’m expecting a green card in a few years.

I have plans to go back home after working for a few years in the US, so I have a few questions:

1- How feasible it is to do locums for around 4 months a year in the US, and be back home for the rest of the year?
Would working only for 4 months or so in the US be a problem with finding another locum gig?

I want to know if this schedule can be done as a hospitalist or in a subspecialty (I’m probably going to apply for a rheum or endo fellowship)

2- How common it is for those in rheum or endo to take 6-8 weeks off per year in a permanent job? is 8 weeks off something I can negotiate?

3- Can a 4 day/week (ie. 32 hours/week) job be found in either rheum or endo?

1. For Rheumatology, it would be feasible. Most locums Rheumatology positions that I've seen advertise for periods of 3-6 months.

2. 3-4 weeks vacation is more common in my experience, but everything is negotiable.

3. Yes, there are quite a few Rheumatology offers for 4-4.5 day workweeks.