Trying to raise my MCAT score...advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbobcat05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm trying to raise my mcat score before I take it for the first time in May. I took a practice one and didn't do too hot. I have the Kaplan cd and the whole set of study flashcards that I go through everyday. Any other advice on things I should be doing???

Members don't see this ad.

The general formula that works

THOROUGH content review first, then a crazy amount of practice tests (with proper review of them).

Practice tests become much more valuable when taken after you complete you content review. Rinse, repeat, and you're golden.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok...so the first mcat didn't turn up so well...too embarrassed to post :( definately retaking in august.

If you think you already have the knowledge, and don't need content review, then just take as many practice tests as you can find. Keep a record of what questions you've been getting wrong and why you got them wrong. After that you'll be able to know what your weak spots are, and then you can focus on strengthening them.

If you think you already have the knowledge, and don't need content review, then just take as many practice tests as you can find. Keep a record of what questions you've been getting wrong and why you got them wrong. After that you'll be able to know what your weak spots are, and then you can focus on strengthening them.

I don't think so.

If he did so bad he doesn't want to post he needs to do A LOT more content review.

I don't care how good your test taking skills are...you need to know the content. Honestly, knowing the content alone should get you in the 27-30 range easily (likely higher...)

Take practice tests but BY NO MEANS make that your only studying for your retake...CONTENT REIVEW~!!!

ok...so the first mcat didn't turn up so well...too embarrassed to post :( definately retaking in august.

This is risky.

You've used up one of your 3 mcat chances..do you really want to use another this summer- only to apply very late in this cycle?

Why not study HARD and take it in January...showing a huge increase.

Imagine the pressure if you mess up again...I just don't want to see you go in before you're not 100% ready. My friend did this and got the exact same score a month later...makes him look very bad IMO.

As much as we hate to hear this...take your time if you need to. If I do bad there is no way I'm retaking in august...it just seems far too risky

best of luck

This is risky.

You've used up one of your 3 mcat chances..do you really want to use another this summer- only to apply very late in this cycle?

Why not study HARD and take it in January...showing a huge increase.

Imagine the pressure if you mess up again...I just don't want to see you go in before you're not 100% ready. My friend did this and got the exact same score a month later...makes him look very bad IMO.

As much as we hate to hear this...take your time if you need to. If I do bad there is no way I'm retaking in august...it just seems far too risky

best of luck

I second this post. Good advice, don't rush it if you're not ready. A good mix of review followed by practice will help solidify your knowledge of the material. If you just content review you run the risk of forgetting some of the things you learned earlier in your prep. Make sure you take good notes when you review, specifically on things you have never seen before or have a hard time understanding. This makes it easier to come back and review the things that are hardest for you. Good luck.

I second this post. Good advice, don't rush it if you're not ready. A good mix of review followed by practice will help solidify your knowledge of the material. If you just content review you run the risk of forgetting some of the things you learned earlier in your prep. Make sure you take good notes when you review, specifically on things you have never seen before or have a hard time understanding. This makes it easier to come back and review the things that are hardest for you. Good luck.

Exactly.

I don't get why people who get a 27 will rush to retake it a month after they get their scores..

-odds are they weren't studying when waiting for scores..so they're rusty
-IF they increased in that short of a time...it'd be due to standard deviation and luck!