Trying to rile people up again....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
These are all YOUR words. YOUR dichotomy. They are all ridiculous and untrue.

It's like you are in a cage and can't see outside. It's not all about politics and Trump.
And you created the original dichotomy. Dont you see the hypocrisy?

Members don't see this ad.

And you created the original dichotomy. Dont you see the hypocrisy?
I think the dichotomy that Trump created was valid - those who love America and its founding, aspirational principles of equality and freedom and those that don't. You clearly fall into the first category as the VAST majority of Americans do. That's my interpretation anyway. I think you can agree with this dichotomy, stand against those on the wrong side of it, and still despise Trump.

Reactions: 1 user

EcVTjOCVAAA4K9I

MARY: TRUMP ABUSED BY DAD
NIECE EXPOSES DYNASTY
SISTER CALLED HIM CLOWN
'I HAD TO TAKE DONALD DOWN'

Members don't see this ad :)
go buy her book after you finish Bolton's book and report back.

An e-race that was nationally televised just like a NASCAR race. The FBI investigation was conclusive....but you are still calling it a noose? Bubba Wallace is a kid....he's in his 20's. He bought into the liberal stupidity cuz it benefited him.

ill vote for anybody you want if you can fix my apple trees

i have a big garden. i do the food, my wife does the flowers. we both have black thumbs. a neighbor does the bees. ill just trade some of my peaches for his honey.

i use both of these, but they are not doing the job:

View attachment 312121

View attachment 312124

There is different stuff that I use than that. It is a commercial product that is a "catch all" treatment for fruit trees. I'll try to find it.

Another natural means of controlling the bugs is to get purple martins, bats, and warblers. I have habitats and houses set up for those critters; you can walk around my pond in the evening and not get a mosquito bite.

It is called "Sevin XRL plus". It is about $150 per gallon, but worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
There is different stuff that I use than that. It is a commercial product that is a "catch all" treatment for fruit trees. I'll try to find it.

Another natural means of controlling the bugs is to get purple martins, bats, and warblers. I have habitats and houses set up for those critters; you can walk around my pond in the evening and not get a mosquito bite.

It is called "Sevin XRL plus". It is about $150 per gallon, but worth it.

active ingredient: carbaryl

Safety[edit]
Carbaryl is a cholinesterase inhibitor and is toxic to humans. It is classified as a likely human carcinogen by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA.)[7] The oral LD50 is 250 to 850 mg/kg for rats and 100 to 650 mg/kg for mice.[citation needed]

that doesnt sound good. then again, when i looked up the active ingredients in the products i use, it was the same one + malathion. ill try it next year, thanks for the tip.

as far as birds are concerned, there arent that many purple martins near me. a ton of barn swallows, northern flickers, grackles, and the other common songbirds. bats are everywhere at night, but i cant imagine they would help with the worm in the apple -- maybe once it become a moth.

i have actually become a birder in the last few years. saw a northern goshawk and an indigo bunting last week (woo hoo). you may have me beat in chronological age, but my hobbies place me at about 75 years old.

Safety[edit]
Carbaryl is a cholinesterase inhibitor and is toxic to humans. It is classified as a likely human carcinogen by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA.)[7] The oral LD50 is 250 to 850 mg/kg for rats and 100 to 650 mg/kg for mice.[citation needed]

that doesnt sound good. then again, when i looked up the active ingredients in the products i use, it was the same one + malathion. ill try it next year, thanks for the tip.

as far as birds are concerned, there arent that many purple martins near me. a ton of barn swallows, northern flickers, grackles, and the other common songbirds. bats are everywhere at night, but i cant imagine they would help with the worm in the apple -- maybe once it become a moth.

i have actually become a birder in the last few years. saw a northern goshawk and an indigo bunting last week (woo hoo). you may have me beat in chronological age, but my hobbies place me at about 75 years old.
I’m really hoping to get a little orchard going in the next couple years too. Still working on clearing for fire safety though. We bought the property last year and and dealing with about 30 years of deferred maintenance on hundreds of oaks.

I’m really hoping to get a little orchard going in the next couple years too. Still working on clearing for fire safety though. We bought the property last year and and dealing with about 30 years of deferred maintenance on hundreds of oaks.

it is fun even though i am clearly not the best arborist. get some peach trees. even i cant mess those up

Trump is dividing us into two groups: those who love America and those who don't.

your words. you stated the dichotomy.

fwiw, just because someone wants to make change does not mean they hate America. the Founding Fathers wanted to make significant change, even after they created America. think of Martin Luther King. John F Kennedy. Theodore Roosevelt. Franklin Delano Roosevelt. almost every president (sans our current one) comes in saying they want to change things around to make America better. would you say they all hated America, or only those that do not ascribe to your partisan views of change?

and the point about majority of Americans is that the majority of americans do not approve of trump.

after Feb 11-13, 2017, choose any point on that graph and tell me there is a point that shows that more approve of trump than disapprove of him.

it is fun even though i am clearly not the best arborist. get some peach trees. even i cant mess those up
Peaches grow easy. Heck, everywhere in Georgia. But the best tasting peaches come from Genes in South Jersey. Black Horse Pike. Sorry, not shipping this year due to frost.

Safety[edit]

Great! I too, am a "birder". If you have a water source near you, you will get purple martins if you put up the houses. It may take a few years, but you will get them. A martin consumes 3X as many insects as a bat per unit weight, so they are very helpful.

Indigo buntings are beautiful. In southern Mo, we are lousy with indigo buntings and the whole spate of warblers. There are actually scarlet tanagers, summer tanagers, and pileated woodpeckers here as well. The whole area used to be swampy (there are cypress swamps nearby) that tends to attract such birds. We have about a dozen feeders in our backyard to attract different birds and are also graced by an albino deer.

I would suggest getting the ap on your phone which identifies birds by thier calls. It is called "song sleuth". It is somewhat hit and miss, but it at least gets you in the right ballpark.

Too bad on the apple treatment. Again, call your county agent and have them come out and take a look; that is what they are paid for and you would like the information.

Yes- I have all the "geezer" hobbies. One of my big ones is rebuilding old "woodie" cars. I have several (I sold all the rest of my car collection) and have given a few to my kids. I just bought a 41 international K3 woodie, which was parked in a barn for 50 years. I will get to restoring it in a few weeks. I love doing the woodwork and making replacement parts. The dilemma is that most of these were grossly underpowered and have non-synchromesh shifting which requires "double clutching"; one must either suck it up and drive 45 mph or install a modern engine, tranny, rear end, suspension, and disc brakes. I have a ww2 halftrack that requires "double clutching" and it is a pain in the ass to drive. The purists hate "resto-mods", but I am not a purist. This one will take me about four years, as I cannot devote the time to it that I would if I was retired. Nonetheless, such a hobby is nice, in that it consumes tons of time in planning and then implementing the process- you learn something new with every car. I also have a collection of ww1 and ww2 weapons, military medals, and watches. All those things keep you occupied when the kids are gone.

Great! I too, am a "birder". If you have a water source near you, you will get purple martins if you put up the houses. It may take a few years, but you will get them. A martin consumes 3X as many insects as a bat per unit weight, so they are very helpful.

Indigo buntings are beautiful. In southern Mo, we are lousy with indigo buntings and the whole spate of warblers. There are actually scarlet tanagers, summer tanagers, and pileated woodpeckers here as well. The whole area used to be swampy (there are cypress swamps nearby) that tends to attract such birds. We have about a dozen feeders in our backyard to attract different birds and are also graced by an albino deer.

I would suggest getting the ap on your phone which identifies birds by thier calls. It is called "song sleuth". It is somewhat hit and miss, but it at least gets you in the right ballpark.

Too bad on the apple treatment. Again, call your county agent and have them come out and take a look; that is what they are paid for and you would like the information.

Yes- I have all the "geezer" hobbies. One of my big ones is rebuilding old "woodie" cars. I have several (I sold all the rest of my car collection) and have given a few to my kids. I just bought a 41 international K3 woodie, which was parked in a barn for 50 years. I will get to restoring it in a few weeks. I love doing the woodwork and making replacement parts. The dilemma is that most of these were grossly underpowered and have non-synchromesh shifting which requires "double clutching"; one must either suck it up and drive 45 mph or install a modern engine, tranny, rear end, suspension, and disc brakes. I have a ww2 halftrack that requires "double clutching" and it is a pain in the ass to drive. The purists hate "resto-mods", but I am not a purist. This one will take me about four years, as I cannot devote the time to it that I would if I was retired. Nonetheless, such a hobby is nice, in that it consumes tons of time in planning and then implementing the process- you learn something new with every car. I also have a collection of ww1 and ww2 weapons, military medals, and watches. All those things keep you occupied when the kids are gone.
At least you won't be bored if you ever retire!

Do you have pictures to share? Sounds like a pretty photogenic hobby, especially the Woodies

Members don't see this ad :)

4 baby barn swallow beaks and 1 baby butt
20200708_175048.jpg

Biden wants to have intercourse with the world. No wonder he won’t be going to any debates.

• Haha
4 baby barn swallow beaks and 1 baby buttView attachment 312326

That pic fills me with dread.

Swallows this yr tried their best to ruin my porch. Last two yrs before they DID ruin my porch. Had to pressure wash everything and the MOUNDS of droppings stained my concrete indefinitely. I can't begin to tell you how aggressive those birds were this yr.

Never seen anything like it.

They got around every single barrier measure we attempted. We ultimately beat them with screens.

In yrs past they left mounds of droppings on the ground (concrete cooking porch), on my grill, all over the walls, everywhere...

Removing those nests was also very difficult. Again, the concrete has been stained pretty badly.

Swallows this yr tried their best to ruin my porch. Last two yrs before they DID ruin my porch. Had to pressure wash everything and the MOUNDS of droppings stained my concrete indefinitely. I can't begin to tell you how aggressive those birds were this yr.

They got around every single barrier measure we attempted. We ultimately beat them with screens.

In yrs past they left mounds of droppings on the ground (concrete cooking porch), on my grill, all over the walls, everywhere...

Removing those nests was also very difficult. Again, the concrete has been stained pretty badly.
I don’t have pics but we have bats that live under the eaves of our carport - I love seeing them around eating the mosquitoes. There’s also a dove nest in the rafters. I’ve been tempted to buy a selfie stick to hold up there and try to get a peek in the nest.

To tag on the birds and hobbies theme though, this has been my series of projects for the last several months.
4784C9E1-C129-4478-87B7-725D06623283.jpeg

AB13C94F-9EFD-433E-8C59-28444D82D108.jpeg

AD93B0A7-715F-4D62-953A-5D91B153A19D.jpeg

(sorry, don’t know why the pics are rotated)
We started with 23 - have had a little attrition and had to do away with an aggressive rooster, but still have 19. We are overflowing with eggs and have been giving them to our neighbors. The coop started as an old shed that I added on to. My dad and I built the nesting boxes - it’s sort of a cabinet with doors that open from the outside of the coop. I just recently added the automatic door which has been fantastic. We have had to put misters our for them with how hot it’s been lately, but they are still laying despite the heat.

Reactions: 3 users
I was gonna say something political but I prefer where this thread is going instead.

I love chickens but I don't like waking up at 3AM!

We removed the nest last year, then power washed it. They came back to the exact same place, so it looks like these guys will be yearly visitors.

Btw, this is a daily occurence..

Attachments

• 20200711_083053.jpg
    20200711_083053.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 68
We removed the nest last year, then power washed it. They came back to the exact same place, so it looks like these guys will be yearly visitors.

Btw, this is a daily occurence..

I can't tell you how close this hits home. They DESTROYED us for two years and nearly did it this year but we won. We had to spray mud packing out of the nooks and crannies Q4H. They would try and build while we were standing there - They were not afraid of us. Once the nest is built you can't touch them bc they're protected.

Here's what we did...

Garden screen material. Had to cover up any place that had a protruding screw (they build off tiny ridges and outpoking objects).

We tried everything else...Nothing else worked. Previously rigged up bird spikes (tried it in every orientation and angle possible) and spinning/hanging distraction devices. Irritants didn't work (basically fishing line hanging down to annoy them)...

The only reliable way is to physically prevent them a spot to pack mud.

Attachments

• 20200711_084332.jpg
    20200711_084332.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200711_084317.jpg
    20200711_084317.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 20200421_094027.jpg
    20200421_094027.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 61
Instead of going to conferences, which no doubt received federal tax money in some form, these people should be doing self help sessions at home.

I believe on hiring people based on their qualifications not on their skin color or sex. Nothing is more ridiculous and unfair than quotas in hiring practices or university acceptances.

As mentioned, I'm an independent not a Republican. One of the biggest reasons I"m certainly not a democrat is that the democrats are the most racist and sexist major political party in America.......against Caucasians, and white men in particular.

I support equality for all, not special treatment for whomever complains the loudest.
I agree. Nobody has it as bad as white men in America. It’s not fair!!!

You still think this country doesn't have a racism problem?

that's great for him!

btw, he represents 1 out of roughly 78 blacks in Harvard law school class out of a class of 561. and HLS is progressive - only 8% of Harvard undergrad is black. this is not atypical for Ivy League schools...

just for a sec, compare what he had to go through to get to Harvard, vs, say, Jared Kushner...

Take Jared Kushner, Donald Trump’s son-in-law and senior aide, who was admitted to Harvard – generally considered the nation’s most prestigious university – after his father made a $2.5m donation to the school, despite the younger Kushner’s “less than stellar” high school academic record.
(yes, admittedly, he is going to Harvard Law and Kushner went to Harvard undergrad....)

You guys get riled up so easy about a successful student who was admitted into Harvard? I don’t care what color he was. Opportunities exist in this country if you work hard for it. Racism didn’t stop him.

You should quote Candace Owens some time... I bet she makes some great points you can agree with

I like what Candace Owens has to say. Your side probably prefers AOC. If it was up to AOC he would’ve been looting instead. Because he needs to feed his family with a tv.

Last edited:
So you think he retweeted a video cuz he’s racist?
Nah he’s racist because he and his administration (Stephen Miller) implemented a travel ban from Muslim majority countries.

You guys get riled up so easy about a successful student who was admitted into Harvard? I don’t care what color he was. Opportunities exist in this country if you work hard for it. Racism didn’t stop him.
if you didn't care what color he was, why did you post it?

That's sad. Those eaves look very unfinished and ghetto- why the heck would you want to protect those and not let the birds stay there?

You should provide them with another nice location to build their nests. I have a lot of swallows under my barn eaves and an open covered area in which we keep a couple tractors. I have bats there too and provide bat houses. If you have a porch, you could have moved the nests to areas underneath the porch, in which they would be able to have their nests and spare the deck. If you simply staple screen or mesh (kind of like you did) under the eaves on your porch, the problem is solved. The mesh or screen wouldn't look so ugly.

I have a bunch of martin houses, but the swallows don't like them- martins do.

I built these beautiful cypress and walnut functional exterior shutters on my farm. I intentionally placed the latches so there were gaps above and below. I have birds build nests on the sills (nicely protected and then I can watch the baby birds inside). Do they make a mess? Yes- at the end of each season before winter when they have abandoned the nests, I just pressure wash the area. I have several feeders with sunflowers- this is for the birds and squirrels. When you have squirrels, you will then get Great Horned Owls and Eagles.

My whole farm (the non tillable area) is set up for wildlife. I plant wild rice and millet for the ducks and have a bunch of duck houses. Lots of wildflowers for the bees and fescue in the CRP areas for quail and pheasant.

Do you have pictures to share? Sounds like a pretty photogenic hobby, especially the Woodies

I've got pics of a few of them on my phone. I'll try to post some later. I am really enthused about this '41 international I picked up. I will redo the whole thing myself and keep the engine stock 6 cylinder flathead. I'll rebuild the engine and put an overdrive gear and change the rear end ratio so it can go down the road.

The problem is that when you finish the cars, there is nothing more to work on, so the thrill is gone. They are fun to drive, but more fun to build.

Woodies- only a two car garage in this house. The other cars are at the farm

Attachments

• 3FACDB34-BAD0-4045-B457-33BD57239F3E.jpeg
    3FACDB34-BAD0-4045-B457-33BD57239F3E.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 56
Woodies- only a two car garage in this house. The other cars are at the farm
Those are beautiful! Please share more pics when you have time. That’s quite a hobby. I’d love to see the farm too - I have aspirations in that direction myself, though not nearly as grand as what you describe. We only have 3.5 acres but there’s a nice hillside where we plan to put an orchard and maybe some grapes. Back in the mining days, swales were carved into the hillside to catch water for the sluices, but they are also amazing for erosion control and irrigation.

and turns out, it was worse - it was inadequate, because the NY outbreak came from Europe.

you cant have it both ways.....Trump wasnt racist i guess. Because other countries banned travel from China before we did and funny they werent called racist.

That's sad. Those eaves look very unfinished and ghetto- why the heck would you want to protect those and not let the birds stay there?

You should provide them with another nice location to build their nests. I have a lot of swallows under my barn eaves and an open covered area in which we keep a couple tractors. I have bats there too and provide bat houses. If you have a porch, you could have moved the nests to areas underneath the porch, in which they would be able to have their nests and spare the deck. If you simply staple screen or mesh (kind of like you did) under the eaves on your porch, the problem is solved. The mesh or screen wouldn't look so ugly.

I have a bunch of martin houses, but the swallows don't like them- martins do.

I built these beautiful cypress and walnut functional exterior shutters on my farm. I intentionally placed the latches so there were gaps above and below. I have birds build nests on the sills (nicely protected and then I can watch the baby birds inside). Do they make a mess? Yes- at the end of each season before winter when they have abandoned the nests, I just pressure wash the area. I have several feeders with sunflowers- this is for the birds and squirrels. When you have squirrels, you will then get Great Horned Owls and Eagles.

My whole farm (the non tillable area) is set up for wildlife. I plant wild rice and millet for the ducks and have a bunch of duck houses. Lots of wildflowers for the bees and fescue in the CRP areas for quail and pheasant.

I cook under that roof!

It isn't ghetto man! Jeez...

I cook under that roof!

Woopsie- I guess you can't have bird droppings in the food and had no other choice. Might have another pandemic on our hands. I'm just a softie for critters and go to extreme lengths to accommodate them. It drives my wife crazy. The only reason I planted an orchard was so the deer would have apples- they LOVE apples. I will even "rescue" injured mice and then release them in one of my smaller barns.

Here is another Woodie I just got. It is in outstanding condition (for an 80 year old car) and I will totally restore it. It involves good finish carpentry skills and the ability to make finger joints and shape wood in 3 dimensions. The mechanical is not that challenging- you can do everything with hand tools, unlike modern cars. I grew up white trash, so I acquired all the necessary skills when I was a kid. I have my own wood/metal shop on the farm and can refinish or make what I need.

You guys should consider old car restoration as a hobby- it appeals to the meticulous and methodic nature of physicians and is VERY time consuming, so it is a good hobby. They have Chilton Guides that show you how to do everything and it is not as hard as some say. I could see old Steve Loebel taking that on when his kids are grown up, as he seems to have similar hobbies. Too time consuming when you have kids- you have to spend time with them when they are in the house.

Attachments

• 41 international.jpg
    41 international.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 53
Here are some photos of the farm- all built by an idiot (me), but it was fun! I had a foundation poured to build another stone house and had 50 tons of river rock delivered to start working, but my health prevents me from repetitive lifting, so I have to abandon that project. Too bad- was going to put a slate roof on that (they are a bitch to put on) and my standard two foot thick walls. No dice- I'm in agony by doing that (gave it a practice run), so gotta stick with other things.

That windmill is fun. There is an "escape tunnel" that goes from the house/barn out to the woods underneath that. I drilled the well shaft and placed the windmill over the tunnel to keep it dry. It works pretty good for that and was fun to build. I needed a crane to lift it into position after assembly.

Notice the "haint blue" doorframe. All my door frames are painted haint blue to keep demons and such out. It is a "low country" thing, but is prudent and a source of consternation for yankees who don't know about such things. Can't have Boo Hags sneaking in through the key holes and stealing your skin. Pardon the submachine gun on the coffee table- I leave stuff laying around when I'm there.

3.5 acres is nothing to sneeze at! You can plant and build some cool stuff on that area. Keep in mind that on most farms (like mine) the owners have never set foot on 90% of the property and stay in a smaller area anyway.

Attachments

• FE7468C1-10DD-4B8D-AD86-D2E9E6F75039.jpeg
    FE7468C1-10DD-4B8D-AD86-D2E9E6F75039.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 58
  • C0E84F47-F951-48EA-B128-3CAE81A71D2A.jpeg
    C0E84F47-F951-48EA-B128-3CAE81A71D2A.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 09E56DC6-AC0A-4100-B484-A3DA0165F312.jpeg
    09E56DC6-AC0A-4100-B484-A3DA0165F312.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 85F380F7-57F4-4D15-B512-46F953B9E793.jpeg
    85F380F7-57F4-4D15-B512-46F953B9E793.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 60
  • D2C88463-F7EB-4AFC-B5AE-F507D5333BAE.jpeg
    D2C88463-F7EB-4AFC-B5AE-F507D5333BAE.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 6C2391E2-5CDE-4C18-AB3E-F7020FF61A57.jpeg
    6C2391E2-5CDE-4C18-AB3E-F7020FF61A57.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 80677106-D41A-4BF6-AF02-577A2FFBC13F.jpeg
    80677106-D41A-4BF6-AF02-577A2FFBC13F.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 3C604F55-F0A5-45A0-964C-FAC4D654AFD6.jpeg
    3C604F55-F0A5-45A0-964C-FAC4D654AFD6.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 51
  • E65732F0-58F5-4A1D-BA75-1B000D17FBF7.jpeg
    E65732F0-58F5-4A1D-BA75-1B000D17FBF7.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:
Woopsie- I guess you can't have bird droppings in the food and had no other choice. Might have another pandemic on our hands. I'm just a softie for critters and go to extreme lengths to accommodate them. It drives my wife crazy. The only reason I planted an orchard was so the deer would have apples- they LOVE apples. I will even "rescue" injured mice and then release them in one of my smaller barns.

Here is another Woodie I just got. It is in outstanding condition (for an 80 year old car) and I will totally restore it. It involves good finish carpentry skills and the ability to make finger joints and shape wood in 3 dimensions. The mechanical is not that challenging- you can do everything with hand tools, unlike modern cars. I grew up white trash, so I acquired all the necessary skills when I was a kid. I have my own wood/metal shop on the farm and can refinish or make what I need.

You guys should consider old car restoration as a hobby- it appeals to the meticulous and methodic nature of physicians and is VERY time consuming, so it is a good hobby. They have Chilton Guides that show you how to do everything and it is not as hard as some say. I could see old Steve Loebel taking that on when his kids are grown up, as he seems to have similar hobbies. Too time consuming when you have kids- you have to spend time with them when they are in the house.
You ever want to put your cars in shows? As a kid, I idolized my uncle who always had an old classic he was restoring.

I cook under that roof!

usually the kitchen ceiling is finished. i suppose some might like the look of rafters and joists.....

is this for a outside grill or something?

sort of ghetto.....