Trying to understand the whole match process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommy2three

PGY-1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright a little background-
4th year DO student currently registered for both matches. Geographically limited to Midwest due to husbands job - applied and interviewed broadly in family medicine in Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana and Michigan. Would like to match straight out and not have to do SOAP or scramble as I would like control over the location to the extent that I can have.
To that end I am trying to decide if I will forgo the osteo match and just do the allo match or not. To make the best decision, I am trying my best to understand how the process works to make the best decision regarding whether to forgo the osteo match.

I have heard it explained two ways:

1. If a program has 3 spots but has four people rank them one then the three spots they have go in the programs rank order list so a candidate who they rank higher is favored over one who is ranked lower
2. My school has left us with the impression that as long as there is a spot when your name comes up for your number one and they have ranked you anywhere on their list you will get a spot

It is also my understanding that a given program may not rank every applicant they interview. And that if you have the same ten applicant interviewing at similar programs that the applicants will not rank the programs in the same order for whatever reason and that the programs will not rank those applicants in the same order

Thanks for any insight anyone can give

Members don't see this ad.

1: ok lets use an example.

program A has 4 applicants for 3 spots and ranks them:

1. billy
2. susy
3. tom
4. dave

If the applicants all rank program A their number one, dave will not match at program. If tom ranks program A #10 and program B #9 on his match list and program B ranks him highly, Tom will match at program B and then Dave will move up match program A.

2. That sounds correct. If you rank a program #1 and they reach YOUR RANKING before they fill their program, you will go to your #1.

the only thing you really need to know about matching is to rank the programs in order of your preference. The match is biased in favor of applicants. Do not rank programs based on your likelihood of matching there, it won't help you.

again, rank programs in order of your preference. RANK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO.

Reactions: 1 user
2. My school has left us with the impression that as long as there is a spot when your name comes up for your number one and they have ranked you anywhere on their list you will get a spot

This doesn't sound accurate, and this misinformation is where applicants get into trouble.

Ranking a program #1 on your list doesn't give you a "trump", which is what it sounds like you are describing. Let's use e30ftw's example as a way of clarifying:

Program A has three spots. Their rank list is as follows:
1. Billy
2. Susy
3. Tom
4. Dave

Billy ranks program A #2
Susy ranks program A #2
Tom ranks program A #2
Dave ranks program A #1

Billy, Susy, and Tom don't get their top choices and fall to #s 2 on their rank lists.

They will all match at program A.

Dave ranking program A #1 doesn't give him any advantage over the others.

This is why the advice of ranking programs IN THE ORDER OF YOUR PREFERENCE is so important. Trying to "game" the match by ranking the program you think is the safe bet #1 does you no good. Every year a few applicants potentially screw themselves by not realizing this.

The best thing that clArified it for me was the video below.

Anyone who is using the match should watch it, period. Too many students fall into the trap of playing some kind if "game" with their rank order list instead of Just ranking programs in order!

For the OP, if location is the most important factor, they would be best served by first trying to match in the AOA match, and then the NRMP match. If they have "better" options in the NRMP match, they will need to decide whether they are willing to sacrifice some assurance of matching to get a better spot.

Reactions: 1 user
For the OP, if location is the most important factor, they would be best served by first trying to match in the AOA match, and then the NRMP match. If they have "better" options in the NRMP match, they will need to decide whether they are willing to sacrifice some assurance of matching to get a better spot.

I think what I am going to do as of now is potentially rank 1-2 programs in the osteo match that I really like then rank every program I have interviewed at in the allo match
That way I keep the option open of my top allo program if I fall out of the osteo match still maintain control by ranking a lot of programs and if I do match in the osteo match I know it will be someplace I really like vs just be happy at