Tuberculosis vaccine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOdyssey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who've volunteered or worked in settings where there is a higher than average risk of tuberculosis, have you considered getting or gotten the TB vaccine?

What are some risks and drawbacks of getting the vaccine? Where could one get the TB vaccine?

I understand that it's not common to see the TB vaccine administered in the US.

I've read that the TB vaccine might lead to a positive TB skin test results.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably speak to your health care provider. Medical advice on forums like these is not a great idea.

Reactions: 1 users
Isn’t the most common (only?) vaccine for TB a live, attenuated virus? Theoretically, if a patient was immunocompromised it could cause some issues. This is what I remember from a microbiology class. Obviously it’s not medical advice

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in hearing whether health care professionals who work in high risk TB environments typically get the TB vaccine.

Can anyone speak to that?

I'm interested in hearing whether health care professionals who work in high risk TB environments typically get the TB vaccine.

Can anyone speak to that?
I’ve worked in healthcare for a while and I’ve not heard of that. As a service member, I also know that many of my colleagues deploy to endemic TB regions, and they do not receive the TB vaccine.

I’ve worked in healthcare for a while and I’ve not heard of that. As a service member, I also know that many of my colleagues deploy to endemic TB regions, and they do not receive the TB vaccine.

I know it's rarely given in the US. I posted this because I was wondering why.

Probably speak to your health care provider. Medical advice on forums like these is not a great idea.
This^^^^. Why are you coming onto an anonymous forum to ask for medical advice? Don't you have anyone IRL that you trust for such information more than anonymous strangers? If there is a vaccine, I am quite certain people in high risk environments take it. The risks and whether it would be appropriate for you, or, more likely, someone you want to advise based on whatever you pick up here, is really beyond the scope of what the premed forum on SDN is supposed to be about.

Per CDC

Health Care Workers

BCG vaccination of health care workers should be considered on an individual basis in settings in which
  • A high percentage of TB patients are infected with TB strains resistant to both isoniazid and rifampin;
  • There is ongoing transmission of drug-resistant TB strains to health care workers and subsequent infection is likely; or
  • Comprehensive TB infection-control precautions have been implemented, but have not been successful.

Health care workers considered for BCG vaccination should be counseled regarding the risks and benefits associated with both BCG vaccination and treatment of latent TB infection.

In the United States, BCG should be considered for only very select people who meet specific criteria and in consultation with a TB expert. Health care providers who are considering BCG vaccination for their patients are encouraged to discuss this intervention with the TB control program in their area.

CLOSING/LOCKING since this borders on seeking medical advice.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.