1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

TUCOM Interview on March 28.

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by wsingh, Mar 11, 2000.

1. wsingh

wsingh Member
    10+ Year Member

I have an upcoming interview at TUCOM. Its a fairly new school. I guess my question is this. I have researched DO and MD options, and I am trying to think of a response that doesn't sound too cheesy. I know that they are going to ask, why did you choose DO vs. MD. Any pointers from anyone in answering this typical question. Any other suggestions for the interview would be helpful as well. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You can never go wrong with being yourself. Since these people are experienced in the admissions process, they can detect a fake anywhere. I guess what I am trying to say is be honest!!

Now my question to you is, why did YOU choose DO vs MD? If you can't answer that, I am having a hard time understanding why did you apply to DO schools in the first place. Lastly, the question you post was asked previously. Scroll through the board to find what others have said that might be of some help to you. Good luck in your interview!!! [​IMG]

Rob
    WesternU/COMP MS II

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 03-11-2000).]

4. wsingh

wsingh Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks Rob.
    I appreciate your response. I guess I am nervous. I have to admit that I did not know anything about osteopathic medicine until I was in grad. school. I went to UCLA as an undergrad where 95% of the south campus is pre-med and they all wanna' be MD's. Admittedly, I was one of them. But after I started working in the health prevention and health promotion programs, I came across a fe w D.O.'s and learned more about osteopathy. Then I went on to an awareness conf. at Western.
    My point is this: As I learned more about osteopthy, I was impressed. To me, it made sense. Shouldn't medicine focus on the whole person anyway? Having worked in critical care ward for 4 years, I was disenchanted to hear patients as a liver, a transplant, a CABAG etc. I know now that D.O. is the right choice for me. Question is, will I be able to convey that to the interview panel.

5. Smile

Smile Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Wsingh,

I think if you describe to the admissions committee exactly what you have said above, then you have done a very well job of "convincing" them. Your response sounds honest, and honesty is the best policy in the interview. Admissions interviewers have done hundreds of interviews and they can see a phony a mile away. If you are sincere in what you have said, then your reasons sound very legitimate and they should be enough when you interview.

6. wsingh

wsingh Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks Smile! appreciate your comments.