TUCOM- NV vs. Western COM- Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTturnedDoc

Reaction score
Hi! I need help deciding between Touro University COM in Nevada vs. Western University COM in Pomona. During my interviews, I felt like Western's interview process was more thorough and it did a better job at selling itself. Western seems like it has more to offer/ may provide me with more opportunities (I'm very interested in PM&R, although I know I might change my mind down the road). I liked Touro NV better location wise and it also seems like the student community is more closely knit as everything is under one roof and everyone lives so close to the campus. I've heard some negatives about Western's clinical rotation process/ sites, but I have had a hard time seeing where Touro NV students do their clerkships. So much to think about, I would love some insight from other people in my position or current students! Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I need help deciding between Touro University COM in Nevada vs. Western University COM in Pomona. During my interviews, I felt like Western's interview process was more thorough and it did a better job at selling itself. Western seems like it has more to offer/ may provide me with more opportunities (I'm very interested in PM&R, although I know I might change my mind down the road). I liked Touro NV better location wise and it also seems like the student community is more closely knit as everything is under one roof and everyone lives so close to the campus. I've heard some negatives about Western's clinical rotation process/ sites, but I have had a hard time seeing where Touro NV students do their clerkships. So much to think about, I would love some insight from other people in my position or current students! Thanks for the help!
Can you possibly give me ay insight on how the interview process was like for you? I have mine coming up in two weeks and could use any advice!

I think about this very strategically. I like to minimize distractions and wasted time and be as financially efficient as possible.

At Touro NV you get to rotate locally the whole time and the local hospitals with residencies know their students well. To me, this is a HUGE selling point, but I'm old and just want to stay in one place to simplify my life so I can focus all energies on keeping the routines and habits set for kicking ass in school, staying healthy, and still having a good relationship with my partner. Constantly moving around and dealing with temporary situations is actually very taxing on the brain and body and will detract from your ability to perform towards your goals.

Cost of living is substantially less at TUNCOM. Rotating locally will be far less expensive.

Just because western has better "sales" doesn't mean it is better. In fact, that just makes me more suspicious of them. :)