Tufts AVM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lechatton

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I just found out I am going to the adventures in vet med program at tufts and couldn't be more excited. Two questions:

1. Anyone else going?
2. Anyone in the past has gone and found it to be helpful in applying to Tufts?

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

I went last year and had a great time. I hadn't had much LA experience so I purposely requested LA rotations to get more exposure to them. It's not that useful if you already know you want to go to veterinary school, though.
I can't speak to whether or not it helps your Tufts application b/c I didn't apply there, but they told us at AVM that the Tufts application does have a check box to see if you went to AVM or not, and that they "look upon it favorably," whatever that means.

I did AVM in high school you stay at WPI which was nice. It wasn't all that helpful if you already know you want to be a vet. If you are unsure it is a good program to go to. As far as it helping your application I don't know because Tuft's hasn't decided yet!

Members don't see this ad :)
I went in high school in 1995. although they do ask if you attended an AVM on their app, i imagine it can only be worth a couple points. if anything, it shows that you've been interested in the field and their school for a long time. I had a great time, learned a lot, got familiar with the campus and their programs, and overall thought it was a great experience. definitely worth it if you do not already know a lot about the profession. if you've worked in the profession for years, it might expose you to a couple new avenues for careers, but it will still be fun tipping sheep. the program also looks like it's gotten much more in depth than when i was there- now with suture labs, etc. i would recommend it.

:thumbup: I did College session at AVM last year ... i'm one of those people who thought about vet school a little later and didn't have much of the animal experience to really back up my interest in the field. So I did AVMA to see if I was cut out for it and let me tell you, it was really well worth it. In a span of a week, not only did I become certain of vet med, but oh my god, the stories that I got to tell my non-vet friends. hahahah There were lots of good times and what I found most helpful was the chance to have a "mini"-fake interview with the counselors. They tell you what is weak about your application, what is strong about it, and give you really good insight about what you can and should do before applying. My fav though was doing rotations - I got to shadow neurology, ophthamology, and small animal surgery. Others got to do large animal medicine, wildlife, etc.

Congrats by the way and enjoy!!

Hi lechatton,

I attended the adult AVM session a few years back and I really enjoyed it. I live 1.5 hours away so I stayed at one of the B&Bs on the list. I met some great people and had a lot of fun. My favorite part was the rotations - you get to select your areas of interest shadow a vet student/vet - depending on what you pick. There were also quite a few seminars that everyone attended. We also had the option of volunteering at night to work with some of the foals. I don't know if that is standard or not. You will receive a behind the scenes look at what the school has to offer. You also meet with someone to discuss your strengths/weaknesses on your "application".

Congratulations on getting in. I am sure you will enjoy it. Have a great time!

Oh - and I don't know if it helps in getting into Tufts because I haven't applied yet.

This is a long left behind thread....But I was searching for info on AVM and I found it.

So my question is, after having attended the High School session, can I count the hours that I spent following around and shadowing the docs as veterinary experience for vet school?

I saw some pretty cool surgeries both with LA and SA and I would love to be able to include that as experience...I don't know if that counts though.

Thanks!

I don't see why not. Just make sure you're only listing the AVM experience once on your application. Like don't list it as vet experience and then later list it as an extracurricular.

This is a long left behind thread....But I was searching for info on AVM and I found it.

So my question is, after having attended the High School session, can I count the hours that I spent following around and shadowing the docs as veterinary experience for vet school?

I saw some pretty cool surgeries both with LA and SA and I would love to be able to include that as experience...I don't know if that counts though.

Thanks!

I think you can go either way. If you don't have much experience in either category I would go ahead and count it. If you have a ton of small animal experience elsewhere I wouldn't bother counting it. But I would list that you did the AVM program somewhere on your application. I didn't list my hours becuase I have plenty of other hours!

I don't see why not. Just make sure you're only listing the AVM experience once on your application. Like don't list it as vet experience and then later list it as an extracurricular.

Perfect! Well since the program was 2 weeks and during that time I only spent 9 hrs shadowing vets, couldn't it also count as an EC because the majority of the time was spent doing other activities (lectures, hematology labs, suture clinics)?

I did AVM both in middle school and in high school (nerd alert! :oops:) and I definitely feel that it helped my Tufts application. It was comforting to have that connection with the school when I worked on my application and later when I had my interview. I was able to demonstrate direct interest in the Tufts program since I had seen and learned SO much about the school during the AVM program (which I thought was a blast). And one week from now, I'll be starting their DVM program!

I did AVM both in middle school and in high school (nerd alert! :oops:) and I definitely feel that it helped my Tufts application. It was comforting to have that connection with the school when I worked on my application and later when I had my interview. I was able to demonstrate direct interest in the Tufts program since I had seen and learned SO much about the school during the AVM program (which I thought was a blast). And one week from now, I'll be starting their DVM program!

Yay, that's comforting to know. Since I am absolutely in love with that school. I really hope I end up there in 4 years...

And congrats! :)

Since I am absolutely in love with that school. I really hope I end up there in 4 years...

That sounds just like me, 4 years ago. Good luck, and feel free to ask questions of us, as they arise! :luck:

ZooNose, I'll see you in less than 1 week!!! GAH!!!:eek:

Seriously, I can't wait....

That sounds just like me, 4 years ago. Good luck, and feel free to ask questions of us, as they arise! :luck:

ZooNose, I'll see you in less than 1 week!!! GAH!!!:eek:

Seriously, I can't wait....

Welcome guys! Classes started for us yesterday-the joys of third year!