Tufts denied me...for now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I opened my mailbox and there it was, a white, regular sized envelope (an invite for an interview would be a big, yellow envelope), my first letter of rejection! I called Tufts right away and spoke to Katherine Wasilenko, Admissions Officer about my situation. She said it's my cumulative GPA that is lacking (but come on how can you NOT like a 2.7?!), at any rate, since my high DAT scores and new graduate/post-bac GPA (3.3) is prominent, she says that if I turn in my new Winter Quarter grades and they must be "A"s and "B"s (which I will have in another week), she's willing to extend the courtesy to re-open my file and reconsider my application for next fall (2002)!!

I mean that's cool and all, but is that normal? You can get denied and get reconsidered again if given more credentials? I'm sure my chances won't change much, but I thought that's kind of neat and unique!! Anyways, I thought I share it with you guys! Good thing that I have two interviews (Temple and Nova) to keep me high!!

:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

bummer. i know that sinking feeling when you rip open the envelope, maybe Nova will pan out for you

Yah-ZZZ:

Sorry to hear about the denial. On the bright side, you've had a great interview at Temple, Nova is soon to be knocking on your door, and you still have opportunities open at a few other schools.

I feel that your hard work will land you a spot in dental school this fall. Now, it's just a matter of which one.

Take care,
Eddie :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't you think this admissions process is completely ridiculous! You were given an interview invite to Temple, which I think has higher entrance scores than Tufts, yet you were given a rejection by Tufts. I personally don't understand it. I got rejected by Tufts early on the game (for my application at least), yet I was given interviews to schools that have higher GPAs and DAT scores! Thats nice of them to reconsider opening your file. When I had spoken to the secretary, or at least to the person who always picks up the phones, about why I was rejected and if they could reopen my file for review - first she kept on saying that I was on the right track (whatever that may mean) and that my request for rereview couldn't be granted. Go figure! Well good luck to you. Don't worry, cause I am sure Temple will pan out for you!

:wink: :D :wink:

Hi YAH-ZZZ

I would really like to advice you on something..I have noticed you have been giving a bit too much personal info. on the forum...for instance the fact that Tufts might 'reconsider' you, can be used as an excuse by someone else for their reconsideration and then obviously the adcom in Tufts might get a little miffed

Believe it or not, but I really really want you to get in since you seem like an extremely nice and helpful person and that's the only reason I feel like telling you this...There are people on these forums who can be vultures and screw you...I don't know if you have been following the pre-allopathic forum but one guy had wrote how the dean of a med school(he had applied to), called him and give him a lot of heat 'cause someone on this forum wrote to the dean regarding one of that person's post...so please do continue to give your info./advice but just be a wee bit careful(like don't give your application ID# and so on...believe me it can be misused)...I hope I am not sounding mean by saying this, but I just don't want you to get burnt by your sincerity...

Salman2001,

Well put! And Yah-zzz, forget about them, and concentrate on your number one choice!

Goodluck,

Bucky

Don't feel too bad. There might be something amiss with Tuft's evaluation process. I know someone who got a rejection letter from Tufts after getting first round interviews and acceptances from their #1 & #2 choices of schools. I bet Tufts feeds application stats into a computer program that makes inital interview selection cuts. It is not beyond reason to believe that the person who enters that data could make occasional errors.

Hey YO, my fellow SDN friends,

Thanks for all your kind words and encouragement! After reading the posts on this thread, I have couple of things that I would like to share:

First, about sharing "TOO" much info, well, I feel that as long as I don't pass out my social security number over the forum, I think that I'll be fine! To be honest to you, no one in this forum can "screw" me or my application over! So let's say couple of people calls Tufts and complaint/request to have their application reconsidered after they read my post here, you know what? They're going to get what they deserve based on their own application credentials! If Katherine wants to re-open my application for consideration, obviously she felt that she can do that. I'm sure she's done that before to other applicants and I'm definitely sure that the whole Tufts Admissions Office knows about it!! It's not a secret thing or behind the door thing!

If you academic record and application deserves another look according to Tufts, then Tufts will look at it again! If not, doesn't matter how many times you request them to reconsider your application or how many people that you state that you know from the SDN that did receive the privilege, Tufts won't really care, in my opinion!

To sum, I see all your intentions of watching my back and I dearly appreciate that. But if you say that someone can ruin my destiny by calling Tufts and "nark" on me or use me as an example to better their applications, I highly doubt that!

Secondly, receive a rejection letter from Tufts, isn't that big of a deal! It was actually expected, come on friends, I have a 2.7 undergrad!!! I know that Tufts is a pretty good school, but fortunately for me, I have two other great schools that are seriously considering me for next fall thus far. So I want all of you to know that I plan on keeping you guys posted on my application process whether it's bad or good news!

What I decide to share with you all on this SDN thing are only my experiences or facts that I feel it's advantageous or beneficial for you all as an applicants.

Again, I want all of you to know, I welcome your criticism, encouragement, advice, opinions, and beliefs! I also believe that the main purpose of this forum is to support and encourage one another!

Keep in mind, we'll let all those Pre-Allopathic MD students do the back stabbing, we Pre-Dents don't go out like that! :cool:

Hey Andy
When did you interivew at Tufts?
I was there last Thursday, and haven't heard anything from them, so getting anxious!!!

Viraj,

I never interviewed at Tufts, they denied me for an interview! Good luck to you bro!

:cool:

:( Hey Yah-zz,

Got my first denial from Creighton today. I guess I am gonna have to hold my breath for the other schools. I don't care where, I just want one acceptance so bad!!

Rhea,

Sorry to hear the news! I truely hope that good news will come your way soon! Good luck!