Tufts MBS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Solard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, there's no thread yet for Tufts so lets get this bad boy started! Anybody submit their applications yet? I'm working my way through it while I wait for a few LORs. Goodluck on the cycle; this program is definitely where I wanna be!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

Planning on applying to this program this year. I have 2 BS degrees from UConn (undergrad GPA: 3.2-3.3) and a MS from UConn (GPA: 3.5) I did horrible on the MCAT but scored over the 50th percentile (I don't remember the scores now...but they weren't horrible) on the GRE. I have some clinical experience, but worked in a pharmacy for 7 years and did some research in a chem lab for 2 years. I was wondering if I would have a shot, I'm anxious about getting in somewhere. Please any input would be appreciated!

Hi Everyone,

Planning on applying to this program this year. I have 2 BS degrees from UConn (undergrad GPA: 3.2-3.3) and a MS from UConn (GPA: 3.5) I did horrible on the MCAT but scored over the 50th percentile (I don't remember the scores now...but they weren't horrible) on the GRE. I have some clinical experience, but worked in a pharmacy for 7 years and did some research in a chem lab for 2 years. I was wondering if I would have a shot, I'm anxious about getting in somewhere. Please any input would be appreciated!

Hey Jenny's, I was worried for a bit nobody was interested in applying here! I think your gpa fits with what they're looking for (based on past MBS threads where people reported their stats). Have you thought of retaking your mcat? The website specifies that they prefer an mcat over the gre so they'll probably apply more weight to that score.
Anyways, I hope we're classmates in the fall! Any idea when you're applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Solard! I'm retaking the MCAT in march but I'm worried haha. Hopefully next year I'll be in this program. I've started the application but I'm planning on officially applying after my MCAT.

Thanks Solard! I'm retaking the MCAT in march but I'm worried haha. Hopefully next year I'll be in this program. I've started the application but I'm planning on officially applying after my MCAT.
Well I wish you good luck in getting into the MBS! It looks like the mcat is the only thing holding you back so hopefully when you get that 30+ you'll be set and we'll be classmates next fall :)
My stats are a 3.3 cgpa 3.15 sgpa with a 32 mcat. I'm hoping my personal statement/LORS make up for my transcript (I've got a few w's on there).
If it's just me and you on here applying to tufts this year, jenny, I think we've both got strong chances lol

Hi guys!

I will most likely be applying to Tufts mbs this year. Attend a SUNY school and currently have a 3.4 cgpa and ~3.3 sgpa. I'm registered for the april 2014 mcat but if I feel ready sooner I'll sit for the march one. Just started research this august but my P.I knows I'm extremely dedicated and will hopefully write me a good LOR. I have no clue where I'm going to get the other LOR's from as I have mostly B's on my transcript. Anyway hope to get in and good luck to all of you as well!

no one else applying to tufts mbs?

Hi guys! I will be applying to Tufts MBS as well! Happy New Year!

Reactions: 1 user
If you guys have questions I am happy to answer them. I was part of last year's MBS class.

I visited Boston in October and I loved the city. This is definitely my first choice SMP. Good look everybody! I just finished my CV and now im finishing the personal statement. Would anybody mind giving it a quick read? I can do the same :)

I currently have a 14 MCAT score. I plan on retaking it this Spring (April or May) but I feel it'll be too late to apply for this program by then.

I currently have a 14 MCAT score. I plan on retaking it this Spring (April or May) but I feel it'll be too late to apply for this program by then.
From looking at previous threads on tufts you can see some people definitely get in with late apps. gettingyour mcat score up to be competitive so that your app is complete in May when you get your scores back is essential.
How did you study for the mcat the first time you took it?

Members don't see this ad :)
From looking at previous threads on tufts you can see some people definitely get in with late apps. gettingyour mcat score up to be competitive so that your app is complete in May when you get your scores back is essential.
How did you study for the mcat the first time you took it?

Gotcha! I really didn't study as well as I should've. I was (stupidly) taking Physics II and Microbiology while taking a Kaplan prep course to prepare for it in August of 2011. Therefore, I only gave MCAT prep 50% of my time and energy. For some odd reason, my naive self thought the MCAT was an exam that I cram for-- thought I would see a substantial elevation in my score come test day. Boy was I wrong! lol Since then, I've used ExamKrackers, Princeton Review and Berkley Review and have managed to improve my practice test scores to the mid 20s, but I haven't been able to break a 30. I was thinking of using SN2's MCAT schedule.

submitted and completed app 1/17, waiting for results! Already got into BU MAMS. Only applied to these two schools

submitted and completed app 1/17, waiting for results! Already got into BU MAMS. Only applied to these two schools

Nicely done. Do you mind sharing your stats? Im planning on applying to MAMS as well.

Gotcha! I really didn't study as well as I should've. I was (stupidly) taking Physics II and Microbiology while taking a Kaplan prep course to prepare for it in August of 2011. Therefore, I only gave MCAT prep 50% of my time and energy. For some odd reason, my naive self thought the MCAT was an exam that I cram for-- thought I would see a substantial elevation in my score come test day. Boy was I wrong! lol Since then, I've used ExamKrackers, Princeton Review and Berkley Review and have managed to improve my practice test scores to the mid 20s, but I haven't been able to break a 30. I was thinking of using SN2's MCAT schedule.

You live and you learn. I know how lazy I can be so I decided to stick with a rigid schedule to keep me on track

Nicely done. Do you mind sharing your stats? Im planning on applying to MAMS as well.

Sure:

24yo male

cGPA 3.3 / sGPA 3.27 / 8P 6V 12B (26)
Terrible MCAT I know.. I was getting 33-35 on practice tests so I'm going to retake during the SMP and hope it was just a fluke haha.
I am a BU alum and I have very extensive resume and recs, having worked 5 years at Harvard affiliated labs.

For anyone waiting for scores, you can call the admissions office and ask if they have made a decision on your app. I called yesterday (2/6) and they said mine was in review. Historically they've begin to release acceptances at the end of the first week of Feb.

You live and you learn. I know how lazy I can be so I decided to stick with a rigid schedule to keep me on track
Exactly. What schedule are you following if you don't mind me asking?

I used the 3 month schedule from http://www.mcatforme.com I am a big fan of the site cause of how much support there is on there (mostly YouTube) and because there is a check off option for every day you complete
I just checked it out...looks pretty good! You think it's better than Sn2's schedule?

I just checked it out...looks pretty good! You think it's better than Sn2's schedule?

I can't really say since I've only used the one. Ultimately I think it's about what you put into whatever program you do. I felt mcatforme fully prepared me well in every area except verbal which I ended up supplementing with other materials. If you're going to put in the same amount of work for each schedule I would be surprised if you didn't get similar results, but I definitely think mcatforme is put together well and very convenient

Just heard back and accepted :D Now to choose between BU and Tufts...

Last edited:
Hey this is for anyone interested, I am choosing between BU and Tufts and currently I am leaning towards Tufts 80:20.

Here is my logic (hopefully people find this helpful):

Both are very reputable institutions. I would consider both in the top 3 out of the 24 national institutions, and both have about 80-90% of each year's students matriculate into a medical school. Both are very good for linkage into their own programs. Both have great curriculums that are very similar. So based on these traits, I feel like I cannot go wrong with either program. So this boils down to a few other things.

I went to BU undergrad. While that is separate from the med school, I always felt like I was just one of a billion students. I didn't like the administration that much, and felt it was very impersonal. Of course this could vary from the graduate programs, but I am now looking for a different experience. Tufts has a smaller class size. This year they are probably accepting 120 students (source: admin office) and that will fall to around 100. Tufts is a little more accommodating to complete within one year, and has thesis options for both lab, clinical, and pure library research. Library and clinical are shorter in time. Tufts has a better location, easier to get to especially since I plan to live with friends in cambridge. Tufts has less deviation for curriculum, therefore I am not competing against anyone who is taking other classes that might not be the same difficulty. Tufts has newer facilities, and a gym located on campus (BU gym, while amazing, a few miles across town). Tufts also has the TUSK system with all lectures/notes/PP online for resources. Also, Tufts provides a committee letter from their med school faculty, whereas BU doesn't, thus requiring you to go back to your undergrad (mine is BU and getting my committee letter in the past was a hassle). Also (not applicable to most I assume) but I already have a degree from BU. Diversifying myself can't hurt.

The only differing pros for BU is that is has a lot longer track record for success, most of its classes are with med students (Tufts is separate) and, personally, its medical school has a lot more diverse patient environment and a very respected emergency department, which would honestly only matter to medical students.

All together, both schools are comparable and highly successful at what they do. But I get a small community, more personal and intimate vibe from Tufts, which is something I desire. And, with all these pros, Tufts is $10,000 less expensive. This is my gut feeling. I'm going today to do a self-guided tour of the school and I'll probably make my decision this weekend. And it will probably be Tufts.

Hey this is for anyone interested, I am choosing between BU and Tufts and currently I am leaning towards Tufts 80:20.

Here is my logic (hopefully people find this helpful):

Both are very reputable institutions. I would consider both in the top 3 out of the 24 national institutions, and both have about 80-90% of each year's students matriculate into a medical school. Both are very good for linkage into their own programs. Both have great curriculums that are very similar. So based on these traits, I feel like I cannot go wrong with either program. So this boils down to a few other things.

I went to BU undergrad. While that is separate from the med school, I always felt like I was just one of a billion students. I didn't like the administration that much, and felt it was very impersonal. Of course this could vary from the graduate programs, but I am now looking for a different experience. Tufts has a smaller class size. This year they are probably accepting 120 students (source: admin office) and that will fall to around 100. Tufts is a little more accommodating to complete within one year, and has thesis options for both lab, clinical, and pure library research. Library and clinical are shorter in time. Tufts has a better location, easier to get to especially since I plan to live with friends in cambridge. Tufts has less deviation for curriculum, therefore I am not competing against anyone who is taking other classes that might not be the same difficulty. Tufts has newer facilities, and a gym located on campus (BU gym, while amazing, a few miles across town). Tufts also has the TUSK system with all lectures/notes/PP online for resources. Also, Tufts provides a committee letter from their med school faculty, whereas BU doesn't, thus requiring you to go back to your undergrad (mine is BU and getting my committee letter in the past was a hassle). Also (not applicable to most I assume) but I already have a degree from BU. Diversifying myself can't hurt.

The only differing pros for BU is that is has a lot longer track record for success, most of its classes are with med students (Tufts is separate) and, personally, its medical school has a lot more diverse patient environment and a very respected emergency department, which would honestly only matter to medical students.

All together, both schools are comparable and highly successful at what they do. But I get a small community, more personal and intimate vibe from Tufts, which is something I desire. And, with all these pros, Tufts is $10,000 less expensive. This is my gut feeling. I'm going today to do a self-guided tour of the school and I'll probably make my decision this weekend. And it will probably be Tufts.

Congrats on the acceptance. About how long did it take you to hear back after you were complete?

Just logged into the online system and found out that I was accepted! Submitted around Feb. 8, so I wasn't expecting a decision for a few more weeks. Super excited!

Submitted 2/ 24/14 -fingers crossed!

Hey guys - I too am an MBS alum and applied to med school successfully this cycle. Let me know if you have any questions about the program, I really can't speak about it highly enough!

Just logged into the online system and found out that I was accepted! Submitted around Feb. 8, so I wasn't expecting a decision for a few more weeks. Super excited!
awesome! congrats! What were your stats if you don't mind me asking?
Hey guys - I too am an MBS alum and applied to med school successfully this cycle. Let me know if you have any questions about the program, I really can't speak about it highly enough!
Hey so I'm kind of worried about my app being late because of recs :/ when did you apply/get in/ what were your stats? Is there a highly competitive atmosphere in the program? How many people get accepted, typically, within the SMP year?

Hi! congrats! Do you have any idea the range of mcat scores and GPA of those in your class accepted into the MBS program? Thanks!

Hey so I'm kind of worried about my app being late because of recs :/ when did you apply/get in/ what were your stats? Is there a highly competitive atmosphere in the program? How many people get accepted, typically, within the SMP year?

So I applied pretty early in their admissions cycle...but plenty of people I know got in later. I remember a few of our classmates even got in off the waitlist like 2-3 days before orientation started. While it's advantageous to apply early, you definitely aren't automatically screened out if you apply later. I think they accept applications up to July 15, so that's pretty late. I'd still consider now to be on the early side.

I had a 2.99 sGPA and 3.4 overall. 32T MCAT. Pretty good ECs (have gotten compliments on their extensiveness on the med school interview trail, which was somewhat surprising to me haha).

The program really has very, very minimal competition. The classes aren't curved so everyone has the opportunity to do well without knocking other people out. I found the atmosphere to be very collaborative and many of us would sit together in the library and struggle through the more difficult concepts with each other. I truly only ever felt like I was competing with myself!

Not too many people apply to med school while in the MBS. I would say of those who did, it was about 50/50 whether they got in or not - we probably had like 6 or 7 people go straight to med school. After completing the program, most of my friends have at least one acceptance under their belts already!

Hi! congrats! Do you have any idea the range of mcat scores and GPA of those in your class accepted into the MBS program? Thanks!

I can't give you an exact range, but people do the program obviously because they have some sort of deficiency on their app...so the range is probably pretty broad. Some of my friends hadn't taken the MCAT before they applied to the MBS too (they took the GRE), so it's really hard to be accurate on this. During the program, if you need to take/retake the MCAT the MBS director says to aim for a 32 in order to have the best chance at a successful med app cycle. Even after the program the scores I heard from my classmates fell in a broad range - I heard scores all the way from like a 29/30 to a 37/38.

GPA wise, I think most people had mediocre science GPAs (I've heard people with as low as a 2.6). Most people probably had sGPAs between 2.8-3.3 and were working to improve them. Again though, I don't think they ever publish this info so this is based on personal experience with my friends.

I can't give you an exact range, but people do the program obviously because they have some sort of deficiency on their app...so the range is probably pretty broad. Some of my friends hadn't taken the MCAT before they applied to the MBS too (they took the GRE), so it's really hard to be accurate on this. During the program, if you need to take/retake the MCAT the MBS director says to aim for a 32 in order to have the best chance at a successful med app cycle. Even after the program the scores I heard from my classmates fell in a broad range - I heard scores all the way from like a 29/30 to a 37/38.

GPA wise, I think most people had mediocre science GPAs (I've heard people with as low as a 2.6). Most people probably had sGPAs between 2.8-3.3 and were working to improve them. Again though, I don't think they ever publish this info so this is based on personal experience with my friends.

Thanks for the info!

I called in and talked to Hannah today and she said they're reviewing a batch of applications this week and another next week. She couldn't tell me exactly how long before the committee sends out decisions after they review, but she made it sound pretty fluid. Get ready to hear back and goodluck to everyone who's complete already!

Do they send you an email if you are complete? I sent in my recs and scores by mail but I have no idea if they received them.

Do they send you an email if you are complete? I sent in my recs and scores by mail but I have no idea if they received them.
I submitted everything online, and after all of my materials were in they sent me an email with instructions for logging into their application status check portal. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call and check!

Hi all,

I was complete recently and an admissions representative told me that my application was sent to the admissions committee this past Monday. Any idea on how long it takes for a decision to be made?

My stats:
AMCAS GPA: 2.91
MCAT: 31
I also have 1,600+ clinical/shadowing/patient hours, 2 years undergrad research, 2 years full-time researcher at top 25 medical school, 4 upcoming publications and recs are from distinguished faculty.

Any idea how I may stack with/against others? All feedback is much appreciated.

Your MCAT and EC's look really good and competitive. Do you have a good story behind the GPA though? I don't believe there is a minimum GPA for the MBS program, but most programs of this nature seem to look for GPAs of 3.0 at least.

how many end up at TUFTS medical school with no gap year? is there any type of guarantee?

how many end up at TUFTS medical school with no gap year? is there any type of guarantee?

No guarantee for no gap year. There used to be a guarantee that the top 25% of the MBS class got an automatic interview the fall after completing the program, but they did away with it because they were interviewing way more than the top 25%. I think the stats they gave us from last year were that they interviewed 75% of those who applied (again, the fall AFTER classes end) and then accepted ~50% of those who interviewed.

I think tufts is leaning more towards not taking anyone without that gap year. I know one person from my class who got an interview and then didn't get in. The MBS class before me, though, they took 3 or 4 directly from the MBS (but I know at least one of them had interviewed at Tufts previously.).

I am currently in the gap year now and lots of people from my class have gotten in to Tufts thus far (plus other schools). I am one of those who has been fortunate to get the Tufts acceptance.

No guarantee for no gap year. There used to be a guarantee that the top 25% of the MBS class got an automatic interview the fall after completing the program, but they did away with it because they were interviewing way more than the top 25%. I think the stats they gave us from last year were that they interviewed 75% of those who applied (again, the fall AFTER classes end) and then accepted ~50% of those who interviewed.

I think tufts is leaning more towards not taking anyone without that gap year. I know one person from my class who got an interview and then didn't get in. The MBS class before me, though, they took 3 or 4 directly from the MBS (but I know at least one of them had interviewed at Tufts previously.).

I am currently in the gap year now and lots of people from my class have gotten in to Tufts thus far (plus other schools). I am one of those who has been fortunate to get the Tufts acceptance.

so you will most likely have a gap year. thx for the info

Hi, can anyone tell me what the dates, such as first semester start and end date and second semester start and end date, are? If I have to retake MCAT, is it better to do it after one semester with some new materials learned or just do it before the program starts? I do not want to take the MCAT2015, avoiding by all possible means; surely it will be good for others to challenge themselves (I guess). In that case, it seems like it's best to take during summer. But I also think that maybe the first semester classes will help with some sections, like BS. Argh, out of all years, now they are having this big change. How unlucky.

Thanks!

Just submitted...waiting on all 3 of my LORs though :( I keep waiting for an email from interfolio telling me a rec letter has been posted but no such luck :(

Just submitted...waiting on all 3 of my LORs though :( I keep waiting for an email from interfolio telling me a rec letter has been posted but no such luck :(

I know the feeling. did you give your professors a deadline?

I know the feeling. did you give your professors a deadline?
yeah April 11th....but I asksed formally weeks ago (4-5) and urged the importance of timing for the letters...I was hoping I'd get at least one by now

yeah April 11th....but I asksed formally weeks ago (4-5) and urged the importance of timing for the letters...I was hoping I'd get at least one by now

yeh from my experience thats not how most professors operate. it doesnt matter if you asked them 3 months ago. they will push it off as much as they can and the only polite thing you can do as a student asking for a free letter is to remind them maybe once, a week before the deadline and then maybe again a day before the deadline to not come off as pestering.

hopefully your professors are different, but dont be surprised if 2 of your professors submit on the last day

yeh from my experience thats not how most professors operate. it doesnt matter if you asked them 3 months ago. they will push it off as much as they can and the only polite thing you can do as a student asking for a free letter is to remind them maybe once, a week before the deadline and then maybe again a day before the deadline to not come off as pestering.

hopefully your professors are different, but dont be surprised if 2 of your professors submit on the last day
yeah I just don't want to be super annoying since they're doing me a huge favor but at the same time it's like "Gah! It's only like a page!"