Tufts MBS Program (2020-2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My MCAT was low, 497, and my overall GPA was a 3.35 and sGPA of 3.08. I will say, for full disclosure, I have an extensive number of extracurriculars and background stories/info that I do feel supported these numbers. After being rejected twice I would definitely sit down and look at what's missing from your application because it's unlikely it's your GPA. The primary purpose of the SMP is to improve that GPA and with a 3.7, I'd question even needing the program and really look at what you're missing if you feel like your app isn't enough to apply to med/dent school

That his/her postbacc GPA. Not their overall GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello SMP applicants,

I currently give tours for the Tufts MBS Program program here in Boston's Chinatown. I wanted to get this thread started in case any prospective students who can't visit the campus had any questions about the program, living in Boston or anything else related to how the MBS program supports you throughout the application process.

Good luck to everyone applying!
In interested in the Dual MBS/MBA program, will the MBS office still support me throughout my application process if I apply to medical school during the second year (MBA curriculum)? I haven’t been able to find anything about it on the website.

In interested in the Dual MBS/MBA program, will the MBS office still support me throughout my application process if I apply to medical school during the second year (MBA curriculum)? I haven’t been able to find anything about it on the website.

If you enroll and complete the MBS program, you will have the full support of MBS faculty & staff whenever you decide to apply... even if it is 2-3 years after completing the program.

Keep in mind that MBS students only get special consideration at TUSM if they apply AFTER completing all the first year MBS coursework. Most (if not almost all) students do not apply during the first year of the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything about how the fall semester is going to be delivered online? I'm not sure how the research aspect is going to be impacted because of the COVID pandemic. I was a little bummed to learn the fall semester is online because I wanted to the in-person interactions with everyone in the program and the advisors, but safety first that's for sure!

Has anyone heard anything about how the fall semester is going to be delivered online? I'm not sure how the research aspect is going to be impacted because of the COVID pandemic. I was a little bummed to learn the fall semester is online because I wanted to the in-person interactions with everyone in the program and the advisors, but safety first that's for sure!

Live lectures delivered online, they will be sharing more details soon. You will also be paired up with prior MBS students as mentors to help with all the changes due to covid. More info to come... I promise!

Also... the "research aspect" is not going to be affected at all. Most people do a literature thesis for the 2nd year and you won't need to be assigned to a lab for this. They will discuss the thesis more during orientation, but personally, I will tell you not to worry much about the thesis until after classes are over. It's pretty straightforward. I would also advise against a benchwork thesis if possible... its a huge headache (unless you are really set on doing this and want to potentially pursue this type of research in the future). Good luck!

Live lectures delivered online, they will be sharing more details soon. You will also be paired up with prior MBS students as mentors to help with all the changes due to covid. More info to come... I promise!

Also... the "research aspect" is not going to be affected at all. Most people do a literature thesis for the 2nd year and you won't need to be assigned to a lab for this. They will discuss the thesis more during orientation, but personally, I will tell you not to worry much about the thesis until after classes are over. It's pretty straightforward. I would also advise against a benchwork thesis if possible... its a huge headache (unless you are really set on doing this and want to potentially pursue this type of research in the future). Good luck!
Thank you~ I did hear back from the admissions counselor, Jacqueline that there are going to be “drop-in” hours every other Thursday (each Thursday will have a theme) leading up to Orientation from 4-5 EDT and everybody admitted this year should get an email soon about this!

I was wondering if any recent graduates can talk about their application cycle with the recent change in curriculum? I know in the past the MBS students took the same class with M1 students, but they have now separated the MBS students and M1 students. While it does say the courses are very similar to the M1 students, I was wondering how it may have affected the weight of the GPA from this program? If anybody could offer some insight into this, I would be really grateful! Also are the 4-5 ET drop-in hours online?

I was wondering if any recent graduates can talk about their application cycle with the recent change in curriculum? I know in the past the MBS students took the same class with M1 students, but they have now separated the MBS students and M1 students. While it does say the courses are very similar to the M1 students, I was wondering how it may have affected the weight of the GPA from this program? If anybody could offer some insight into this, I would be really grateful! Also are the 4-5 ET drop-in hours online?

1) MBS students were never actually in class with the medical students. They did mirror the med school curriculum for the first semester.

2) The new curriculum was only changed because the medical curriculum at Tufts was changed. They did this so that the first semester of MBS continues to mirror the med school courses.

3) I am not sure what you mean about the weight of the GPA... the units were changed recently but it wont really matter for you since it will be a separate graduate level science GPA (all the courses count as science courses but this won't affect your undergrad GPA).

Hey folks! Does anyone know if the fall 2020 class is filled? I know the deadline for application is July 31st but it's so late in the cycle I'm not sure if it's worth it to spend the money to apply if the class is set.
I was wondering the same thing! i submitted my application a few days ago after recently hearing about the program. their incoming facebook page only has 94 students i believe, yet the previous years have 200+. i think their still looking for applicants, otherwise i don’t think they would allow people to apply. I could be wrong through. Does anyone know for sure?

also, does anyone know how long it will take to review the application? the email says 6-8 weeks but since the deadline is so close will it be sooner?

also, does anyone know how long it will take to review the application? the email says 6-8 weeks but since the deadline is so close will it be sooner?
Classes start the first week of Sept, so they’ll HAVE to review faster to give us time to enroll and do orientation :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that there are people actively on the waitlist as they keep double-checking that the currently enrolled students are staying so I would assume it's filled. The MBS class size ranges from 100-130 per the dean and it's probable that some of those students simply haven't joined the FB group yet. Classes begin August 17th, not September, but yes if they are still accepting applicants the turn around time to make a decision for the student is like 2 days

I know that there are people actively on the waitlist as they keep double-checking that the currently enrolled students are staying so I would assume it's filled. The MBS class size ranges from 100-130 per the dean and it's probable that some of those students simply haven't joined the FB group yet. Classes begin August 17th, not September, but yes if they are still accepting applicants the turn around time to make a decision for the student is like 2 days
I thought they moved it to january. the covid updates say that the fall semester is pushed back? i could be wrong though.

Last edited:
If you enroll and complete the MBS program, you will have the full support of MBS faculty & staff whenever you decide to apply... even if it is 2-3 years after completing the program.

Keep in mind that MBS students only get special consideration at TUSM if they apply AFTER completing all the first year MBS coursework. Most (if not almost all) students do not apply during the first year of the program.

So I know this is probably a dumb question but, say I've already applied to TUSM and if I get rejected, will I still get special consideration as a re-applicant next year after completing all the first year MBS coursework?

Hello guys,

I recently got accepted to the program. I have 508 and a 3.3GPA. Last year I got accepted to a couple of schools, mostly in my home area, but I decided to re-apply this year due to Corona. I am honestly, figuring out if this program is for me. I am mostly worried that I won't finish the program in one year, since I am applying this year for medical school again. I already took one gap year to study for the mcat so I really don't want to wait one more year to apply.

Also, they mentioned that all 3 exams for each class will be given the same day, anyone has an idea of how long is each test?

Hello guys,

I recently got accepted to the program. I have 508 and a 3.3GPA. Last year I got accepted to a couple of schools, mostly in my home area, but I decided to re-apply this year due to Corona. I am honestly, figuring out if this program is for me. I am mostly worried that I won't finish the program in one year, since I am applying this year for medical school again. I already took one gap year to study for the mcat so I really don't want to wait one more year to apply.

Also, they mentioned that all 3 exams for each class will be given the same day, anyone has an idea of how long is each test?
If you’re not willing to postpone by two years this probably isn’t the program for you. The vast majority of MBS matriculants into Tuffs MD program took two years. You can finish in one year but it’s unusual also- only 15% do that, the other 85% take two years.

I am not really looking to retake the MCAT. I know a vast majority of the people take both spring semester and summer to study for their MCAT and not work in their thesis, so I was wondering if that might be a reason that students don't usually finish the program in 1 year.

I thought they moved it to january. the covid updates say that the fall semester is pushed back? i could be wrong though.

I'm not sure what GSBS is from the links you gave but MBS is not delayed until January. The January application is for next cycle, this cycle will proceed in about 2 weeks.

So I know this is probably a dumb question but, say I've already applied to TUSM and if I get rejected, will I still get special consideration as a re-applicant next year after completing all the first year MBS coursework?

So you will be considered a reapplicant and you will not be given special consideration unless you are applying in the 2nd year, not the first. For those wanting to do MBS in 1 year, and apply that same year, the faculty won't know you and while they will help you, the committee letter will not have the same relevance or preferential treatment as if you apply the 2nd year. This is not my opinion, this was made very clear by the director in several informational sessions. Most students do the 1 year of coursework, then apply while writing their thesis the second year. It IS possible to complete it all in 1 year but only about 10-15 people/120 a year that are going to medical school do it in 1 year. Dental students are on a different timeline and can complete it in 1 year much more easily if they choose to.

Hello guys,

It is possible to do it in 1 year, especially if you're not needing to retake the MCAT but the timeframe will be very crunched. You would need to apply June/July of the same year you're trying to go to MBS, do secondaries and attend interviews at the same time, and then also complete your thesis in the Spring while still in full courses. Additionally, the program and GPA increase will not carry the same weight because you haven't actually finished the program. Schools will likely not invite you for interviews until after the first semester of MBS is complete because being enrolled doesn't prove your competency so they're wanting to be sure you can handle the coursework. If you are trying to go to TUFTSOM and apply the first year, you will be in the general applicant piling of applications. You are only given special considerations if you apply the second year.

The 3 exams (first block) and then 4 exams (for the rest of the semester) will be all in 1 day because they want to replicate MCAT testing. Exam are generally 1-1.5 hours each and we will have 3/4 of those in 1 day, about every 3 weeks.

It is possible to do it in 1 year, especially if you're not needing to retake the MCAT but the timeframe will be very crunched. You would need to apply June/July of the same year you're trying to go to MBS, do secondaries and attend interviews at the same time, and then also complete your thesis in the Spring while still in full courses. Additionally, the program and GPA increase will not carry the same weight because you haven't actually finished the program. Schools will likely not invite you for interviews until after the first semester of MBS is complete because being enrolled doesn't prove your competency so they're wanting to be sure you can handle the coursework. If you are trying to go to TUFTSOM and apply the first year, you will be in the general applicant piling of applications. You are only given special considerations if you apply the second year.

The 3 exams (first block) and then 4 exams (for the rest of the semester) will be all in 1 day because they want to replicate MCAT testing. Exam are generally 1-1.5 hours each and we will have 3/4 of those in 1 day, about every 3 weeks.

Not really worried about getting into TUFTSOM. I am not coming into this program with expectations.

As for the exams, any chance you know how many questions per test? A 1-1.5 hour exam seems like a reseanble thing. I was worried that each exam would be 2-2.5 hours long.

I'm not sure what GSBS is from the links you gave but MBS is not delayed until January. The January application is for next cycle, this cycle will proceed in about 2 weeks.
GSBS is the graduate school of biomedical sciences, on the second link on when students should be expected on campus it says by Jan 5th is the orientation i believe

GSBS is the graduate school of biomedical sciences, on the second link on when students should be expected on campus it says by Jan 5th is the orientation i believe

AH I see what you are saying. So while it is very confusing, I don't believe the MBS program (the SMP) is actually part of GSBS. The MBS program is through the actual school of medicine. From what I can see, the GSBS degrees are delayed for on-campus courses. The MBS will not be coming to campus until Spring either however the 1-year SMP is beginning in 2 weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
Not really worried about getting into TUFTSOM. I am not coming into this program with expectations.

As for the exams, any chance you know how many questions per test? A 1-1.5 hour exam seems like a reseanble thing. I was worried that each exam would be 2-2.5 hours long.

The exams are supposed to be about 1-1.5 hours long with like 30-40 questions each. While the exams are not super long, 1 exam is done about every 3 weeks and there are about 8 hours of lecture per subject per exam. So around 24 hours of material for the first exam and 32 hours of material per exam for the other 3. This means 30 questions taken from 24-32 hours of material which obviously means missing questions has alot more weight behind it.

AH I see what you are saying. So while it is very confusing, I don't believe the MBS program (the SMP) is actually part of GSBS. The MBS program is through the actual school of medicine. From what I can see, the GSBS degrees are delayed for on-campus courses. The MBS will not be coming to campus until Spring either however the 1-year SMP is beginning in 2 weeks.

Ohh i see now, thank you

The exams are supposed to be about 1-1.5 hours long with like 30-40 questions each. While the exams are not super long, 1 exam is done about every 3 weeks and there are about 8 hours of lecture per subject per exam. So around 24 hours of material for the first exam and 32 hours of material per exam for the other 3. This means 30 questions taken from 24-32 hours of material which obviously means missing questions has alot more weight behind it.

Yeah the margin for error is minimum

You will get special consideration after completing all the 1st year MBS coursework regardless of how many times you applied to Tufts beforehand.

Hello guys,

I am having a hard time understanding why you delayed matriculation due to corona. This will definitely come up during your interviews so be ready to have a good answer to this Q when the time comes. This program may broaden your appeal to schools by strengthening your GPA but only after having completed it. Tbh I don't think you need to do MBS. Instead, re-take the MCAT if you really want to strengthen your app.

What are some cases in which someone should do MBS? I have a similar GPA/MCAT to the person you replied to and I'm wondering if it's a good choice to do an SMP.
Ideally, I would say if you have a low GPA <3.3 and a higher MCAT (511+), then it is a good option. This shows you have the ability to do well (MCAT) bur for whatever reason didn’t apply yourself in college.
If you have a low MCAT but high GPA, then this program is not for you and is waste of money as SMPs are focused on grade repair. Study for the MCAT and try again.
If you have both low GPA and low MCAT, just be aware that this program will likely be very academically difficult for you. You’ll also need to do better on the MCAT in the future to offset that poor undergrad performance even if you do well in the SMP. If you fall into this category and SMP is a particularly risky endeavor.

Reactions: 1 users
Ideally, I would say if you have a low GPA <3.3 and a higher MCAT (511+), then it is a good option. This shows you have the ability to do well (MCAT) bur for whatever reason didn’t apply yourself in college.
If you have a low MCAT but high GPA, then this program is not for you and is waste of money as SMPs are focused on grade repair. Study for the MCAT and try again.
If you have both low GPA and low MCAT, just be aware that this program will likely be very academically difficult for you. You’ll also need to do better on the MCAT in the future to offset that poor undergrad performance even if you do well in the SMP. If you fall into this category and SMP is a particularly risky endeavor.

This is good advice. I personally made a pact with myself that I would only do MBS if I was able to secure a >90%ile score on the MCAT. I also have friends who came in with ~508 and did well in the program (>3.8 GPA) and were able to do better on the MCAT (>512) after the program had ended. There are many ways to end up in medical school, just depends on your tolerance for risk/confidence in your own ability to succeed academically.

Accepted! Extremely excited to get started at Tufts :)
Hello, do you mind telling me your stats when you applied to the masters program? I'm scared I won't get into the program because my gpa isn't the greatest.

Accepted! Extremely excited to get started at Tufts :)
Hello would you mind telling me your stats when you applied to the masters program? I want to apply but I am scared I won't get in because my gpa isn't the greatest. Thanks

Hello would you mind telling me your stats when you applied to the masters program? I want to apply but I am scared I won't get in because my gpa isn't the greatest. Thanks
What's your GPA? If you have an above average MCAT score that can certainly offset a lower GPA. This program is marketed as a 'record enhancer' so most of the people attending don't have the greatest GPA (I certainly didn't).

I didn't have any research experience before, and I think if I get accepted into MBS, I should utilize the breadth of laboratory research opportunities at Tufts. I went to the Open House and I heard that I should have a commitment of 6 months at minimum for the lab thesis route. I am okay with that since I plan to do 2 years, and possibly adding on a MPH degree. I think I will know about the downsides of the lab thesis more when time comes around, but can you clarify your reasons a bit about your personal discouragement of the benchwork thesis?

No problem, happy to do it.

It is very uncommon to finish the program in one year (unless you are a dental student). Dental students are commonly accepted to Tufts Dental during the first year of the MBS program and >90% are accepted from what I understand. I would say 95% of the pre-med students will choose the two year option and for good reason. Most of us apply during the second year of the program to have special consideration at Tufts.

I personally came in with the intention of completing the program in one year and not paying the continuation fee for the second year. I was convinced before getting to Tufts that the continuation fee was just a scam designed to take money from students. After finishing my first year I realized how crazy the one year timeline would be. It was even more hectic for people who were not happy with their MCAT score and wanted to re-take it in May/June before applying. Also, the continuation fee allowed me to remain enrolled as a full-time student and gave me access to financial aid and on-campus housing that I wouldn't have had otherwise. That being said, I know 2 of my 110 classmates applying to med school that applied to med school during the program and did the 1 year timeline. It was rushed and crazy, but they did it because they were starting med school in August.

When I arrived in Boston, it became very clear to me that I should focus on my classes during the first year of MBS to do well in the program (especially because my main weakness as a re-applicant was my GPA). I had already taken my MCAT before starting MBS and so I decided to apply during my second year while completing my thesis. Some of my friends are even taking the second year to do their thesis and re-take the MCAT, with the intention of applying the following cycle.

Remember, if you apply during the first year, you would need to finish all secondaries before classes begin and then prepare for interviews/travel while enrolled in classes. Not to mention that you would not have any of your MBS grades submitted until early January and most schools already have their first round of acceptances sent out before they have even looked at your 1st semester grades. Additionally, you will NOT get special consideration at Tufts if you apply during the first year of MBS.

This makes total sense because they want to see your full year performance before considering how you will stack up against their own medical students if granted admission. I know several people who have applied during the first year in the past who wished they would have waited to apply until after the first year of the program. You will receive special consideration at Tufts for all application cycles after your first year.

Hope this helps!

Hey. Thank you for making this thread. It has been very helpful and informative. I had a follow up clarification question to something that you have already answered. So apologies if it’s getting repetitive. So let’s say I plan on finishing the program in 2 years. I start in 2021 and spend the first year just focusing on my gpa. Then for the second year (summer in between and academic year, can I focus on studying and taking the MCAT while defending my thesis? Or would studying for the MCAT not be a doable option? I plan on applying to medical schools in the 2023 application cycle so would that be possible or will I have to delay it to 2024 since I haven’t taken the MCAT?

Hello SMP applicants,

I currently give tours for the Tufts MBS Program program here in Boston's Chinatown. I wanted to get this thread started in case any prospective students who can't visit the campus had any questions about the program, living in Boston or anything else related to how the MBS program supports you throughout the application process.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Hey. Thank you for making this thread. It has been very helpful and informative. I had a follow up clarification question to something that you have already answered. So apologies if it’s getting repetitive. So let’s say I plan on finishing the program in 2 years. I start in 2021 and spend the first year just focusing on my gpa. Then for the second year (summer in between and academic year, can I focus on studying and taking the MCAT while defending my thesis? Or would studying for the MCAT not be a doable option? I plan on applying to medical schools in the 2023 application cycle so would that be possible or will I have to delay it to 2024 since I haven’t taken the MCAT?

So you will be considered a reapplicant and you will not be given special consideration unless you are applying in the 2nd year, not the first. For those wanting to do MBS in 1 year, and apply that same year, the faculty won't know you and while they will help you, the committee letter will not have the same relevance or preferential treatment as if you apply the 2nd year. This is not my opinion, this was made very clear by the director in several informational sessions. Most students do the 1 year of coursework, then apply while writing their thesis the second year. It IS possible to complete it all in 1 year but only about 10-15 people/120 a year that are going to medical school do it in 1 year. Dental students are on a different timeline and can complete it in 1 year much more easily if they choose to.
Hey. I’m reading through this thread and had a question regarding your comment. When you say apply in year 2 vs year 1 are you referring to applying at the start of the program? For example: if I start the program in Fall 2022 then can I apply to medical schools in Spring/Summer 2023. Or are you suggesting that one should apply in 2024?

Hey. I’m reading through this thread and had a question regarding your comment. When you say apply in year 2 vs year 1 are you referring to applying at the start of the program? For example: if I start the program in Fall 2022 then can I apply to medical schools in Spring/Summer 2023. Or are you suggesting that one should apply in 2024?
If you started the program Fall 2022, you would apply Spring/Summer 2023 (so end of year 1, going through the application process/interviews during year 2). A few students will start the program Fall 2022 while actively in the application cycle and try to use semester 1 GPA updates to help boost their application but this is not recommended by the program.

If you started the program Fall 2022, you would apply Spring/Summer 2023 (so end of year 1, going through the application process/interviews during year 2). A few students will start the program Fall 2022 while actively in the application cycle and try to use semester 1 GPA updates to help boost their application but this is not recommended by the program.
Oh okay. That makes sense. Thank you!