SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Tufts MBS

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by rich4k, Mar 6, 2007.

1. rich4k

rich4k Member 2+ Year Member

Jan 4, 2007
    San Diego
    Did anyone here apply?

What do people think?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. DrVanNostran

DrVanNostran 10+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2006
    I am sending in my application tonight or tomorrow. The program seems really interesting.

4. DrVanNostran

Mar 19, 2006
    bump, anyone else applying?

5. rich4k

Jan 4, 2007
    San Diego
    I should have mentioned I applied...

6. AK1kinase

AK1kinase Newbie 7+ Year Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Is this the first year of the program? Looks solid but more intense then the other SMPs.

7. sunnyjohn

sunnyjohn Got Mustard? 5+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2005
    In a world all my own.
  8. dcwildcat05

dcwildcat05 7+ Year Member

Jan 25, 2007
    I applied and am still waiting to hear. My application is just now considered complete even though I sent it in almost a month ago.

From what I understand the program is new this year and it pretty intense.

I will let you know when I hear something.

9. socal78

socal78 Member 5+ Year Member

Nov 9, 2005
    just submited my app.

10. DrVanNostran

Mar 19, 2006
    I just got the email verifying my application, but my status stil shows some stuff missing. I guess they are just starting to process applications. Hopefully we hear something soon.

11. DrVanNostran

Mar 19, 2006
    Anyone going to the Open House?

12. rich4k

Jan 4, 2007
    San Diego
    I got in! (I was complete ~Feb 15th)

I don't think I'll go to the open house, as it's only 3 hours long and I'm in CA.

BTW, DrVan - I saw your posts in the RFU Adcom thread. I'm interviewing in April, so good luck to both of us!

13. DrVanNostran

Mar 19, 2006
    GRATS!!! (on both acceptance and the invite)..

Looks like either way we might be classmates hehe. I most likely will go to the open house and let you know what the deal is with them. If you don't mind, can you PM me your stats. I think I am a competitive for the program but still worried :scared:

14. dcwildcat05

Jan 25, 2007
    Congrats!!!

Do you mind me asking how they informed you of your acceptance?

Mine was complete a week or so ago so hopefully I will hear something soon too!

Thanks!

15. Nasrudin

Nasrudin Apropos of Nothing 10+ Year Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Do you guys know what the cost projections are?
    How about if they consider their MBS grads for acceptance to Tufts med? and if so are you given credits towards the MD?

Also do you take classes with the med school class?

Thanks if you offer any more info.

16. dcwildcat05

Jan 25, 2007
    From their website:

"Students in the top 25 percent of the MS in Biomedical Sciences class will be granted automatic interviews. Other students may receive interviews on a case-by-base basis."

"The MS in Biomedical Sciences program closely follows Tufts Univsersity School of Medicine's first-year medical curriculum..."

"The course work, examination, and clinical training that MBS students undergo match those taken by first-year Tufts, medical students."

"The MBS core currculum consists of nine courses, seven of which are identical to or based on current courses offered by the School of Medicine."

There is an open house on April 10th if you are interested and can make it. If not I will post a review of what is said shortly after.

Hope this helps!!!:)

17. DrVanNostran

Mar 19, 2006
    The program looks really intense and REALLY good. I hope that I can get off of work to visit the program. I already most likely am going to California to visit Western, not sure if I can get off for both these things in April.

If you do go, it will be really appreciated if you could post a summary. Are in the Boston Area?

18. WisePrincess227

WisePrincess227 F.R.O.G. 2+ Year Member

Mar 10, 2007
    In the South
    I plan on applying to this program as a back-up program. I believe that the program is going to be very intense (as already mentioned), but I think that it could be an invaluable experience. I am in Florida and I won't be able to attend the open house. :cool:

19. rich4k

Jan 4, 2007
    San Diego
    The acceptance came snail mail. Also, my status on their website still shows no decision has been made and that I'm missing my MCAT scores. (When I called them, they said they've been too busy to update.)

20. dcwildcat05

Jan 25, 2007
    Thanks! I will keep an eye out then!

21. marinak

marinak 5+ Year Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Hi,
    I just applied to Tufts too. I'm planning to go to the open house since i'm in the boston area, so I'll post all the important points here afterwards....
    Good luck to everyone on their apps!

22. dcwildcat05

Jan 25, 2007
    Hey all,

I got my acceptance letter today!!!:D

If anyone else is going to the open house maybe we could meet up... especially if you are most likely going to go to Tufts.

I am still waiting to hear from BU but I think I am leaning towards Tufts, but I have to wait and see what happens at the Open House.

Good Luck Everyone :luck:

23. redrabbit

redrabbit Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 16, 2004
    may i ask what are you stats? when were you complete?

24. dcwildcat05

Jan 25, 2007
    I had everything in mid feb. but my MCAT scores which got lost in the mail (my BU one did too so I think the Post office is against me or something:p )

Anyway... my stats... MCAT: 28Q (7PS, 11VR, 10BS) and 29Q (8PS, 11VR, 10BS) I am not a physics/chem person as you can tell...

I had an undergrad cumulative GPA of ~2.95 (graduated back in 2005) due to a serious medical problem that required surgery thus my sophomore and junior year grades sucked. However, I got my senior year GPA up to ~3.8. I applied to about 25 med schools this year and got no interviews so I decided that a SMP was the way to go.

I also applied to the BU program and am still waiting to hear although I have gathered from this forum that it may be a long wait.

Either way I am leaning towards the Tufts program because you can get an MPH in the second year. The BU program is probably going to take me 2 years anyway since I want to do a lab thesis to improve my GPA so why not go for two years at Tufts and get 2 degrees instead of 2 years at BU with 1 degree.

My only concern is the "newness" of this program. Since we will be the 1st class I am a little nervous but hopefully the open house will calm so of those fears.

If you need any more info just ask!

Good luck :luck:

P.S. I am going to post a review of the open house for those of you who can't make it. If you have any specific questions you want me to ask for you just let me know and I will try to get some answers.

25. DarwinDoc

DarwinDoc 5+ Year Member

Dec 19, 2006
    hey dcwildcat,

i have the exact same MCAT (29Q), same breakdown and all. i got 2 interviews this year, but no acceptances as of yet. i'm starting to think about doing an SMP, specifically Tufts MBS.

I was wondering if you plan on applying this coming cycle or waiting to finish the program at Tufts before applying again?

Also do you plan on taking the MCAT again? I took the MCAT way back in 2005 and i'm starting to think about actually taking it again while reapplying this summer.

26. rich4k

Jan 4, 2007
    San Diego
    I was thinking about this too. If they interview the top 25%, then I figure you should at least apply to Tufts this year. And then I figured, it's what, $30 to designate extra schools on the AMCAS?
    Although, if you really want to the MPH during year 2, it might be OK to wait.

27. nanaschool2000

nanaschool2000 Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Jun 12, 2006
    It sounds like a solid program. Congrats on your acceptance, DCwildcat & Rich!

Which program would you choose between BU MAMS & Tufts MBS? BU MAMS has been there for a long time but there are many students in the program. Tufts MBS is starting its first year but there would be only small number of students in the program.

28. crumbelievable

crumbelievable 2+ Year Member

Jan 14, 2007
    i got my acceptance letter to the mbs program today, which was very good news since the only other acceptances ive gotten so far have been from caribbean schools. i dont know that much about smps but the one at tufts seems very intense and rewarding if done right. i applied to st georges in the caribbean (i know, i need to go to the caribbean board to discuss this) but now that ive gotten into tufts, im thinking of withdrawing my application to st georges and going to tufts. my biggest fear is doing an smp and not having the caribbean schools to fall back on because i declined them earlier. . . any thoughts/advice???

29. redrabbit

redrabbit Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 16, 2004
    for those of you who have gotten in already, may i know when you were complete and what your stats are?

30. dcwildcat05

Jan 25, 2007
    So here is my thinking about whether or not to apply this next cycle...

My weakness is my GPA. My MCAT is amazing but isn't too horrible either so I think the GPA is what is limiting me right now. If I were to apply again this next cycle nothing is going to have changed on my primary and I won't have new grades until January of 2008. I am afraid that I will either be rejected outright from schools because of the GPA issue (what happened this year) or will get interviews late in the season and I will most likely get put on waitlists. Also, I would probably be applying to most of the same schools this next cycle as this past one and if I don't get in the 2nd time I don't think they will look too fondly on a 3rd application.

So... after that long winded explanation... no, I am not applying this next cycle. I am going to wait until June 2008 to do my primary and most likely do the MPH at Tufts for that second year. This will also allow me time to get to know professors who could write LOR's.

Hope that helps!

P.S. I was complete about 2 weeks ago. All of my materials were in by Feb. 1st but my MCAT scores got lost in the mail so the second letter wasn't there until 2 weeks ago. The letter I got on the 22nd was dated the 20th and mailed on the 21st.

31. DReject

DReject Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 18, 2003
    This program sounds awesome. But just a ques...does it tend to accept those with high mcat/low gpa?

What about those with the high gpa/lower mcat?

Thanks!

32. blindkutha

blindkutha 2+ Year Member

Sep 12, 2006
    I applied to this program a while back and it is arguabaly the top SMP program. I just contacted them and they said they are going to make a decision on me once they get my final grades from this semester...

I've already gotten into EVMS and will most likely end up going there...

Good luck and congrats to everyone...

33. kitteykat

kitteykat New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    I just got my acceptance letter :) ! I'm definitely excited that I at least have some place to be this fall...and in Boston too!

I won't be able to make the open house as I'm in California, but any information would be greatly appreciated. From what I've read on the webpage, everything sounds great and I'm very likely going to end up there.

And I think I was complete mid-February but I never got an official letter from them, I just checked the status page every now and then to make sure they had everything.

Good luck to everyone else! :luck:

34. dcwildcat05

Jan 25, 2007
    So I have a stupid question...

Is this a new program or just a reworked program that has been around awhile? I got the impression from some of the wording on the webpage that it was new but I get the feeling from reading these posts that is has been around awhile.

Also, why do you say that it is arguably the best SMP??? I am accepted at BU as well and they need to know by the 10th if I am attending. This just also happens to be the day of the Tufts open house :( so I am just trying to get a feel for the Tufts program.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

35. DrVanNostran

Mar 19, 2006
    :(

I got a big packet in the mail from Tufts today. It was only a really big brochure:(

36. Banjo64dd

Banjo64dd Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Tell me about it. I looked in the mail today and I received a big packet from Tufts University. I was like "There is no way I got in!" Reason being that I told them I was retaking the MCAT this april 16 and that the current score I sent them was a 24R. I was counting on sending them a higher score (much higher) in May. Anways, even though I knew it was too good to be true, part of me still hoped. Sure enough, it was just a brochure. That was my rollercoaster ride of the day.

On the bright side, at least I didn't get rejected...just yet.:laugh:

37. blindkutha

blindkutha 2+ Year Member

Sep 12, 2006
    I too also got that packet in the mail the other day... I think I got it last Monday and i was so stoked. Turns out it was a bunch of brochures. Biggest tease ever since they told me they'd let me know very soon. I emailed them afterwards inquiring about my status hoping that maybe they forgot to add my admisssions letter in but that didnt work.. haha... turns out they'll make my decision in the summer once they get my final grades.

The two year clause makes this program pretty good because you get the MBS in 1 year, and if you dont get into med school, you can pretty much stay the extra year and get the MPH. Its more or less a built in backup plan. BU and Drexel (1-2 year programs) dont give you anything (besides a certificate for Drexel, or an MA for BU) if you leave after a year, but then again you are going to med school and as a doc, having an MBS and MAMS is not really going to help you out, except on your id badge, it'll have an MA written next to your name.

Also, the top 25% and maybe more are guaranteed an interview is pretty good too. This is about as close to an "official linkage" you will find in terms of SMPs. In terms of unofficial linkages, EVMS is the best because almost everyone who does well in the program gets into EVMS or another med school for the following year. Which is the reason why regardless of which SMP I get into, I'll probably attend EVMS for that very reason. I dont want a lag year and in terms of that statisic, EVMS is the best for that by far. Sure the city might be a bit weird for someone like me but whatevers, I want to be a doc, I want to be there ASAP, and I have to pay sometime for my mess ups as an undergrad.

38. sunnyjohn

Feb 24, 2005
    In a world all my own.
    At Tufts will students in the MBS program take classes along side medical students?

39. Nasrudin

Nasrudin Apropos of Nothing 10+ Year Member

Jun 8, 2006
    This looks like a great program but just curious...
    Why does everyone seem so casual about laying out 30 G's and not being able to work.

Is everybody here livin easy of is it just me that it seems like smp's are just one more thing open to people who have money and support and exclusive of those who don't?

I mean I would love to try and outgun some people for a spot. But How can just an average working joe finance this type of thing.

How do y'all swing this type of sh!t financially?

40. sunnyjohn

Feb 24, 2005
    In a world all my own.
    I fell ya dude. I am long past the days when I could ask my parents for financial support. If I don't work, I starve.

Most people take out private loans to finance this kind of thing. They don't seem to bothered by the loan total. The theory is another $40G's on top of $100G's for med school is worth it if you meet your goal.

I don't mind investing in my education, but as a self-described formerly homeless cheap rat bazzztid, I won't take out loans I can't reasonably pay off in a worse case scenario.

41. socal78

socal78 Member 5+ Year Member

Nov 9, 2005
    No, they will take similar classes emulating the medical school curriculum taught by the same instructors.

42. Emma

Emma 5+ Year Member

Dec 21, 2006

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  43. DarwinDoc

DarwinDoc 5+ Year Member

Dec 19, 2006
    anyone here planning on going to the open house on tuesday?

think business casual dress is ok or should i bust out the suit?

44. DrVanNostran

Mar 19, 2006
    I think business casual would be appropiate. I was going to go, but decided to go an Osteopathic Medical Awareness Confrence the following week--can't afford both:)

45. dcwildcat05

Jan 25, 2007
    The e-mail says very informal so I am thinking even jeans would be ok.

I am probably just going to wear dark pants and nice top (female). I don't think ties are necessary at all for guys...

46. dcwildcat05

Jan 25, 2007
    Hello all,

So I went to the Open House last night and got a lot of information. Here is a summary of what was said...

1. Class size for the 1st year will be 30 students. So far they have had 56 applications.

2. You should not apply to med school while you are in the program if you have already applied to med school once and have not been successful. The automatic interview is only granted to those students who have completed the program and are in the top 25%. Also, they will not be able to write you letters until after you have completed at least a semester.

3. There will be professional MCAT training/tutoring. They are in negotiations with both Kaplan and Princeton Review. One of them will provide their services.

4. They stressed that this program is an academic partnership and they will do everything in their power to get you into medical school but you have to be ready to work.

5. Some exemption exams are available if you do well in the program and get into Tufts med. These exams are taken in the 1st week of medical school. However, it is recommended to take the classes again for STEP1 prep.

6. There will be a wide range of clinical opportunities available. A new program is being developed at Tufts called Tufts CARES network.

7. All the classes except for 3 (more on that later) are exactly the same as medical school classes. They are taught by the same faculty just at a different time. One class (immunology) will be taught at the same time but by video feed. (The instructor doesn't have time to teach it twice). You will take the same tests at the same time as the medical students.

8. 3 classes are unique to the MBS program, Intro to clinical medicine, 3D human anatomy, and basic pathology. Basic pathology is normally a 2nd year med school class but they are creating a class specifically for MBS students so they will have a jump start on this before going into medical school. The anatomy class is all computer based.

9. There are two thesis options, lab and library based. They are graded the same. If you do the library based thesis you will finish in one year (Fall, Spring, Summer). If you do the lab it may take longer but if you do the MPH 2nd year you can work on your thesis and do the MPH classes.

10. Each student with have both an academic advisor and a thesis advisor. There will be extensive student support services for any type of help you might need.

11. Housing can be found through the student services office. They have a full-time person starting in May who will help find you housing/roomates.

12. Tuition is $29,500.

I think that is it. If you have any other questions just let me know and I will post if I know the answer.

Good Luck :luck:

47. AK1kinase

AK1kinase Newbie 7+ Year Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Great info :thumbup: Hate to be a numbers ***** but did they mention the kind of stats they're looking for in applicants and are they close to filling the class? Thanks.

48. ivydoc

ivydoc New Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Thanks dcwildcat05 :) ! That was very helpful, you've answered almost all my questions. The only question that you can't answer is if I've been accepted. I'm going to give them a call next week to find out about my application. It's been 5 weeks and last time I called they said it should take 3-6 weeks. The wait is painful :eek:

49. WisePrincess227

WisePrincess227 F.R.O.G. 2+ Year Member

Mar 10, 2007
    In the South
    thanks dcwildcat for the post....i am seriously considering applying to the program now. It seems that even though it is a relatively new program Tufts has their act together. We will see what happens after Monday though---my first choice is USF.

50. dcwildcat05

Jan 25, 2007
    No problem... glad I could help!

They said that the magic numbers to get into medical school were 3.5GPA and 30 MCAT so they were looking at people who they think could realistically reach those goals. Dr. Gustafson (Director) didn't directly address application credentials but said something about a 27 on the MCAT. He is super nice and I am sure if you called he would be happy to answer your questions.

My own stats were 28Q, 29Q on the MCAT and 2.97 cumulative GPA.

They didn't mention anything about how many they have accepted yet. I know of two (me and another girl who they said was accepted and then got accepted to medical school) They joked that even though the program hasn't started yet they have a 100% acceptance to medical school :laugh: . I am sure there are others out there.

Dr. Gustafson did say that there were going to be two spikes in applications, the end of April/early May when students get their rejections from medical schools and then again in June/July when students start to hear about wait lists. My own opinion would be to get my application in before those peaks (as in now) so your app may get some more attention...

In regards to the application itself, I did find that part a little confusing. So when you begin the application pick School of Medicine - Public Health & Professional Degree Programs. You will be asked what program you want to apply to a few pages into the application. That is where you put that you are applying for a Master of Science and then a few lines later what program (Biomedical Sciences). I can't remember if those are radio buttons or a drop down and I don't have access to the app anymore.

Let me know if I can help anymore!