Tufts (MD/MBA) vs UMass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccer321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cost aside..

Tufts:

Pros
  • MD/MBA in 4 years. I know I want to get my MBA at some point and Tufts offers a unique opportunity in that they allow for you to get both degrees in 4 years. I think it would be really cool learning medicine and business while in the healthcare hub that is Boston
  • Could be wrong but I feel like tufts has a better name outside of the medical community, for instance in the business world saying you go to tufts vs umass would carry more weight
Cons
  • I grew up in Boston and would like to experience something different (I am not sure if Worcester would be better)
  • Facilities could be newer
  • Commuter school?
  • This is super specific - So the tufts MBA portion starts in June and once I start classes at the Business School I can't go to another school right? I am on the waitlist to 3 schools I would rather go to over Tufts and UMass and if I start school in June I would be losing a few months where I could get into the schools I am currently waitlisted at
UMass:
Pros
  • I had a great interview day. I really liked all of the students I interacted with.
  • Great facilities
  • community, because of Umass' relative isolation from a major city I thought that the students were more of a community as opposed to tufts where people were a little more spread out (could be a pro or a con)
Cons
  • No MBA - I guess I could always get it later? Maybe at a better school than tufts business
  • In Worcester - I am not sure how much fun the city is as I havnt spent much time there
  • Kind of in the middle of nowhere
  • I want to be in school in a city

Members don't see this ad.

Tufts is a great school and having your MBA when applying to residencies will definitely give you an advantage. Time is your most valuable resource. Being able to get your MBA in those 4 years allows you to save time. I say go to Tufts! you can get out of Boston for residency. Plus, Boston is fun and a great place to learn

Cost aside..

Tufts:

Pros
  • MD/MBA in 4 years. I know I want to get my MBA at some point and Tufts offers a unique opportunity in that they allow for you to get both degrees in 4 years. I think it would be really cool learning medicine and business while in the healthcare hub that is Boston
  • Could be wrong but I feel like tufts has a better name outside of the medical community, for instance in the business world saying you go to tufts vs umass would carry more weight
Cons
  • I grew up in Boston and would like to experience something different (I am not sure if Worcester would be better)
  • Facilities could be newer
  • Commuter school?
  • This is super specific - So the tufts MBA portion starts in June and once I start classes at the Business School I can't go to another school right? I am on the waitlist to 3 schools I would rather go to over Tufts and UMass and if I start school in June I would be losing a few months where I could get into the schools I am currently waitlisted at
UMass:
Pros
  • I had a great interview day. I really liked all of the students I interacted with.
  • Great facilities
  • community, because of Umass' relative isolation from a major city I thought that the students were more of a community as opposed to tufts where people were a little more spread out (could be a pro or a con)
Cons
  • No MBA - I guess I could always get it later? Maybe at a better school than tufts business
  • In Worcester - I am not sure how much fun the city is as I havnt spent much time there
  • Kind of in the middle of nowhere
  • I want to be in school in a city

No, Worcester would not be better (especially compared to Boston). An MBA isn't necessary for business, but if you can get your MBA in the same time as your MD (I'm assuming the MBA tuition is included??) then why not? As far as reputation, I think both schools are comparable (you can argue the nitty gritties, but I don't care). Even though UMass has a better reputation in the medical word, you're right that Tufts has more name recognition outside of it. If the cost of the MBA is included I say go there. You'll have plenty of time to explore different cities later. If the cost isn't included, I think it's kind of a coin toss.

This is super specific - So the tufts MBA portion starts in June and once I start classes at the Business School I can't go to another school right? I am on the waitlist to 3 schools I would rather go to over Tufts and UMass and if I start school in June I would be losing a few months where I could get into the schools I am currently waitlisted at

Yes, I believe you're correct. However, so little waitlist movement happens in June. Hopefully your 3 schools send ranked waitlists and you can see in the next month if you have a good shot. If you're not accepted off another school's waitlist by May 15, I feel like the chances are so slim of it happening once classes begin in June at the MBA program that this isnt something you need to be hugely concerned with.