Program-Specific Info / Q's Tufts OT M.S Fall 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT418

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I just wanted to make a post to connect with anyone who has attended/is attending Tufts for OT, or has been admitted to the Masters program at Tufts for OT who is considering going there. Mainly, I am curious to know your experience/any info you know about the program and housing in the area. In addition, does anyone know how difficult it is to find an apartment there/how expensive it is? Considering I’m pretty far away from Massachusetts, I thought I’d start here. Any help is appreciated, thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I've decided to let my daughter reply if she happens to visit this forum. Not her ol' mom. I can't delete my previous posts. So I'm just editing. I hope you receive some good tips here!

Last edited:
I'm most likely going to attend in the fall! I also live in the Boston area, so if you want you can PM me any questions you might have. @OT418

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to Tufts for my undergrad and am considering going back for an OT masters in the fall. The campus is beautiful and the OT faculty is the reason why I love OT now. I can't speak for the curriculum but every professor goes out of their way to make themselves accessible and help you network. Even to this day, I have kept in touch with some of the faculty, and they have become my mentors. There's a lot of opportunities for research if you're interested in academia. The Boston area is also one of the biggest hubs for health professions, so it's a great place to be if you have ambitions for policy or program development. Another plus, the tufts administration is always on top of things.

As for the area, the OT building is located at the top left corner of the undergrad campus in Medford. So you get the high energy and community of college life with just enough distance that it doesn't become overbearing. Located in the suburbs, Tufts is pretty quiet and it's fairly easy to get housing. Tufts even offers graduate on campus housing that's a two minute walk from the OT building, but its primarily full of Fletcher students studying international relations. Tufts also has a complimentary shuttle that takes you all over campus and to the town square where you can catch the subway. The subway gives you access all over the Cambridge and Boston area, so it's also really easy to live in a more urban area and commute to classes if you so choose.

I hope that is helpful! Please let me know if you any more questions either on here or PM. :)

Reactions: 1 users
What you said about the faculty, @tealover02, is so encouraging - I had observed a class awhile back and what I remember is how approachable the professor was and how engaging the students in that class were. It was one of the main reasons I chose to apply!

As for places to live, Tufts borderlines Somerville - a lot of young professionals and students who live there. Living in Boston is not cheap, but I know a lot of people who are able to find apartments to share in Somerville for a reasonable price. I know people who live in Allston or Cambridge as well, and but you might have to dig harder to find a place worth the price. Allston can be too cheap that the apartment is falling a part and Cambridge might be too expensive for a student's price range.

When you're apartment hunting, keep in mind that this is a city full of students. Move in dates for many places tend to be either June 1 or September 1 since that's when many students begin to move to Boston for classes.

Edit.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I've been accepted and hope to go there. The complication is that I live in DC and would have to relocate not just myself, but my entire family. Doing this with kids is a lot more complicated. Nevertheless, it's probably my first choice option. Visiting next week. May also go back for the new student reception at the end of March.

I've decided to let my daughter reply if she happens to visit this forum. Best wishes to you!

Thank you very much for your responses. I apologize for not getting back earlier, I am new to this forum thing! Thank you again for all of your help :)

I've been accepted and hope to go there. The complication is that I live in DC and would have to relocate not just myself, but my entire family. Doing this with kids is a lot more complicated. Nevertheless, it's probably my first choice option. Visiting next week. May also go back for the new student reception at the end of March.

Yeah, that will take some adjusting! I am from California so I am also going to have to make a move so housing was mainly my concern because I will probably only make one visit out there to see the area before I move in for the school year. Please let me know, if you have time, how the student reception goes on March 27th. I will unfortunately not be able to make it and I hope not to miss too much!

I went to Tufts for my undergrad and am considering going back for an OT masters in the fall. The campus is beautiful and the OT faculty is the reason why I love OT now. I can't speak for the curriculum but every professor goes out of their way to make themselves accessible and help you network. Even to this day, I have kept in touch with some of the faculty, and they have become my mentors. There's a lot of opportunities for research if you're interested in academia. The Boston area is also one of the biggest hubs for health professions, so it's a great place to be if you have ambitions for policy or program development. Another plus, the tufts administration is always on top of things.

As for the area, the OT building is located at the top left corner of the undergrad campus in Medford. So you get the high energy and community of college life with just enough distance that it doesn't become overbearing. Located in the suburbs, Tufts is pretty quiet and it's fairly easy to get housing. Tufts even offers graduate on campus housing that's a two minute walk from the OT building, but its primarily full of Fletcher students studying international relations. Tufts also has a complimentary shuttle that takes you all over campus and to the town square where you can catch the subway. The subway gives you access all over the Cambridge and Boston area, so it's also really easy to live in a more urban area and commute to classes if you so choose.

I hope that is helpful! Please let me know if you any more questions either on here or PM. :)

Thank you so much for your response. It was very helpful, especially knowing what parts of the city I should be looking at housing. I'm glad that public transportation is so available, because I was worried about not being able to navigate through the city without a car. I'm sure I will have a few questions so thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
What you said about the faculty, @tealover02, is so encouraging - I had observed a class awhile back and what I remember is how approachable the professor was and how engaging the students in that class were. It was one of the main reasons I chose to apply!

As for places to live, Tufts borderlines Somerville - a lot of young professionals and students who live there. Living in Boston is not cheap, but I know a lot of people who are able to find apartments to share in Somerville for a reasonable price. I know people who live in Allston or Cambridge as well, and but you might have to dig harder to find a place worth the price. Allston can be too cheap that the apartment is falling a part and Cambridge might be too expensive for a student's price range.

When you're apartment hunting, keep in mind that this is a city full of students. Move in dates for many places tend to be either June 1 or September 1 since that's when many students begin to move to Boston for classes.

Thank you for your response, including the links! I am going to take a look at the areas you mentioned, that really helps! I hope I can find an apartment that has a move in date a little after June, because I won't be moving in that early. I was thinking of checking Facebook for possible posts on others looking for housing. Do you have any ideas where else people would post about roommates?

There are places that do August 1 move-in as well, so keep an eye out for that when you look for places too. Many people I know used craigslists - I found my roommates through a mutual college friend. Many schools usually will send out housing postings or a list of other people looking for housing. I don't know if tufts does that, but I'm sure you can email and contact them about it. Have you already committed to going to tufts in the fall?

Yeah, that will take some adjusting! I am from California so I am also going to have to make a move so housing was mainly my concern because I will probably only make one visit out there to see the area before I move in for the school year. Please let me know, if you have time, how the student reception goes on March 27th. I will unfortunately not be able to make it and I hope not to miss too much!

I went to the reception last week, and left pretty convinced that it's the right place for me. I don't think they shared any info that was new or shocking or anything, but everyone was so welcoming and open to questions and willing to help in any way that they could. It just felt good. Felt like where I'd want to be. So now we just have to make the logistics work.

I didn't look at the housing list because I'm looking for housing for my whole family, but that seemed like a really helpful resource. Hopefully you've had a chance to look at it. People also mentioned a free shuttle from Davis Square, if that helps at all in terms of location and simplicity in getting there.

If you have any specific questions I'm happy to share what I know based on the info session.

Has anybody applied to this program this year?
Ive heard they really look at applicants holistically, hopefully my personal statement shows something about me thats different than other applicants. Im not that great on paper. 3.27 GPA, gre score 151 and 148. 4 writing, But I have alot of OT experience. like 300 hours almost, hopefully that kicks in. Is tuft's an interviewing school?

Yes, I did as well and my stats are very similar to yours! I am having trouble getting my GRE scores to them. I submitted them to the correct code, and they are still saying they haven't arrived :(

Yes, I did as well and my stats are very similar to yours! I am having trouble getting my GRE scores to them. I submitted them to the correct code, and they are still saying they haven't arrived :(
Yea mine says the same thing! I sent them to the right code as well. My other schools showed they received it today, so maybe it will be updated? When did you send your? If it doesn't show up by tomorrow I will email them.

Mine were sent on 1/22, but I think some are sent electronically and some schools receive them in the mail, could explain the delay. Do you know if they use rolling admissions?

FYI - just received an email back from Tufts. They expect to receive them by the end of the week if they were mailed out on 1/22, I guess they get them via mail too!

Hi! I am curious when people who applied in 2015, heard about their decision at Tufts. I currently go to undergrad in Boston, and Tufts is my number 1 choice, as I would love to stay here and my grandfather is an alumni of Tufts. So some stats would be nice to know as well. Thanks!

Hi! I am curious when people who applied in 2015, heard about their decision at Tufts. I currently go to undergrad in Boston, and Tufts is my number 1 choice, as I would love to stay here and my grandfather is an alumni of Tufts. So some stats would be nice to know as well. Thanks!

My daughter is in her 2nd year of the OT program at Tufts and is really enjoying it. She's in the UK this semester doing study abroad through Tufts OT (BSOT). Best wishes with your application. That would be nice to be at your grandfather's alma mater. :)

My daughter is in her 2nd year of the OT program at Tufts and is really enjoying it. She's in the UK this semester doing study abroad through Tufts OT (BSOT). Best wishes with your application. That would be nice to be at your grandfather's alma mater. :)
When did she hear about her decision?

Has anybody applied to this program this year?
Ive heard they really look at applicants holistically, hopefully my personal statement shows something about me thats different than other applicants. Im not that great on paper. 3.27 GPA, gre score 151 and 148. 4 writing, But I have alot of OT experience. like 300 hours almost, hopefully that kicks in. Is tuft's an interviewing school?

Hi! I'm currently a student and would definitely say that they take a holistic approach to looking at applicants. Tufts is not an interviewing school. I also know of students who have gotten accepted in the past in February and some in March, so it just kind of depends on where Tufts is in the admission process. Good luck!!

I am really interested in applying to Tufts for OT, but I'm really nervous about the stats and getting in. It does make me feel a lot better that a few of you said Tufts takes a holistic approach at their applicants.

I was wondering, does anyone know the sizes of Tufts OT program? How many students accepted per entering class?

I am really interested in applying to Tufts for OT, but I'm really nervous about the stats and getting in. It does make me feel a lot better that a few of you said Tufts takes a holistic approach at their applicants.

I was wondering, does anyone know the sizes of Tufts OT program? How many students accepted per entering class?

It depends. I am not sure how many they took this year but my class is around 45 students and the year above was 35.