Tufts residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

washingmachine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, 3rd year student here, as I'm thinking about getting rotations in the spring, I just wanna know more about the Tufts residency if anyone knows anything? I've heard its a "malignant" program, but is there anyone with more details/have rotated there before that can shed some light on this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, 3rd year student here, as I'm thinking about getting rotations in the spring, I just wanna know more about the Tufts residency if anyone knows anything? I've heard its a "malignant" program, but is there anyone with more details/have rotated there before that can shed some light on this? Thanks!

Check out the chat tab in this year's residency spreadsheet. This question was asked and answered.

Reactions: 1 user

That's interesting. I graduated fairly recently and drove max 30 minutes in rush hour. Most of the time my commute was 20 minutes. I also went to Rhode Island a grand total of 0 times. Now, if you choose to live 2 hours away from everything, that is your own fault.

There was only 1 "malignant" attending while I was there, and she was gone by the time I was PGY-3.

Finally, I guess call was relatively heavy for PGY-2 and 3, but it was really easy and I enjoyed the day off with generally sufficient sleep during the night.

All in all, it may not be "the best" program, but we learned, had fun, and graduates are successful!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also graduated very recently and here is some information about the program:

I am not sure why the student went to Rhode Island--I never went there in my 3 years of residency
We are NOT a malignant program by any means & had zero malignant attendings while I was there.
We are a small program--3 residents per year but everyone has been successful in their careers post-residency.
Commute can be long depending on where you live--be smart and live in the city so you are equidistant to most sites
We actually have great fellowship match rate
100% PASS rate for PMR Boards at least for the past 3 years while I was there

PROS:
-we get great inpatient (SCI, Stroke, TBI, Gen Rehab) exposure as we rotate at a stand alone hospital in Woburn and the VA
-everyone who wants to do fellowship matches (I am the BI fellow at TIRR this year, my other co-resident is a Sports/Spine Fellow at University of Michigan, and our third resident went out & got an inpatient and acupuncture job. Our previous class matched into Pain (UPMC), Peds (Spaulding), and SCI(Spaulding)
-we get good spasticity exposure which is a great niche for PMR as we are pretty much the only people who know how to manage it (we get experience with Botox and Baclofen pumps).
-Because we are at Tufts, VA, and a Stand alone rehab in Woburn--we get a really full experience of what life for PMR docs is like in different areas (inpatient vs outpatient)
-Program Director is open to changes--i.e. the PGY3s did not find an educational benefit from a rotation; Now that rotation does not exist anymore and the PGY-3 residents are doing something MSK outpatient instead
-1:1 ratio with attendings; therefore we develop a great relationship with our attendings and can write us amazing letters for fellowship or jobs--
-We get 5 conference days so we don't have to take vacay days,
-We are a close knit program because we are so small so we get together for dinners/outings etc. My class in particular, we would go out for dinner at least once a quarter and hang out outside of work regularly
-Protected didactic time on Wednesdays from 8 am to 1 pm

Things to Consider:
-we are heavy inpatient and pgy-2 year is ALL inpatient, but pgy-3 year is partially inpatient and pgy-4 is ALL outpatient to off-set heavy pgy-2 year
-Our call schedule can get busy as they are currently 9 of us in total & we are alone at nighttime at the stand alone rehab which can be scary when you have a "code blue". However, we keep the call schedule as fair as possible (7-8 in house calls per month with a post-call day only when on inpatient at the stand-alone rehab), everywhere else is home call.
-We are working on improving in MSK. We already started going to the cadaver lab in the med school to review anatomy during our didactic days. Additionally, the MSK attendings were planning to make a dedicated US course to help facilitate better Ultrasound and MSK exposure.

Last edited:
I am trying to set up a 4th year elective/audition rotation at Tufts...do you guys know if they take osteopaths? Saw on another post they dont let osteopaths rotate. Also, any one know the percentage of MDs vs DOs at their residency. Thanks!