QuietGuy

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2004
Status
Does anyone know what the cost of tuition is at Tufts? What is the total projected cost for attending the school? I am in a dilemma right now because I don't know whether I should go the interview at Tufts.

Here are some issues that I am concerned about:
1. I have already been accepted to NYU but the tuition is expensive.
2. I want to go into orthodontics and I want to go to a school with a strong program to increase my chances of getting in. Which dental program is better?
3. I have not been accepted to the school of my choice yet and things aren't looking too good. :oops:

Should I go to the Tufts interview? Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated.

amartins02

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2004
Status
Pharmacy Student
Just go for the interview. You already got accepted at NYU so it isn't going to hurt to just go and ask questions. Ask them about your concerns and get some answers. I think that is the best thing you should do.

Utes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
Status
Dentist
QuietGuy said:
Does anyone know what the cost of tuition is at Tufts? What is the total projected cost for attending the school? I am in a dilemma right now because I don't know whether I should go the interview at Tufts.

Here are some issues that I am concerned about:
1. I have already been accepted to NYU but the tuition is expensive.
2. I want to go into orthodontics and I want to go to a school with a strong program to increase my chances of getting in. Which dental program is better?
3. I have not been accepted to the school of my choice yet and things aren't looking too good. :oops:

Should I go to the Tufts interview? Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I would suggest going. I apply next cycle, but took a tour of Tufts when I was in Boston last semester. Students at Tufts are called "Jumbos". The girl who took me on the tour stressed that Tufts loves "Double & Triple Jumbos". So it sounds like they accept their own for the specialty programs.
Here's a link to their tuition costs.
http://www.tufts.edu/dental/student_services/financial_aid/cost.html

Utes

OP
Q

QuietGuy

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2004
Status
Thanks for the help. Another issue I forgot to mention is that I have an interviewed scheduled at UNLV two days after my Tufts interview. I looked at the 10 day weather forecast for Boston and they predict that it is going rain on the day that I leave. I don't want to get snowed/rained in and miss my flight back home.

amartins02

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2004
Status
Pharmacy Student
I wouldn't worry about the rain. It's not like we get tropical storms here. You will be fine. If I were you I would increase my chances of getting in and would go to both interviews.

onetoothleft

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
Manhattan, NYC
Status
Dental Student
DEFINITELY go to the tufts interview. Tufts is one of the best dental school IMO, since it has a very strong clinical program and the students always score within the top 10 (most times top 5) in the nation in board scores, which is very important for residencies. It is a very well rounded program.

SadSmile

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
NYU has the third most expensive tuition cost in the nation but when you factor in the living expenses in NYC, you will end up with >$80,000 per year. It kicks out the highest # of students so if you find yourself struggling to adjust and end up getting kicked out, you will end up with >$80,000-160,000 on your back and no way to pay them back.

The percentage of NYU students getting into specialities is not what Amy Knowles says it is. She told us 64% of their students get into specialty programs but the students there said maybe 16-18%. They said 64% was impossible. I would recommend you reading threads posted by the current NYU students.

About Tufts, I would definitely go there for the interview. In January, I was in the same situation as you are in right now in. I got accepted to NYU without interview so I was debating whether I should look into another private school like Tufts but I ended up going there for the interview and came out more impressed than ever. I think Tufts is a lot better than NYU.

Tufts doesn't have application fees and they send you all these big packages filled with information before your interview. That's pretty cool to begin with.

If you don't go, you will end up regretting later on. I went to every school I was invited to except for UPitt. I was so beat after two weeks of traveling for the interviews, I didn't want to bother with UPitt. I'm sure I missed a lot by not going there. Just something to think about.

OP
Q

QuietGuy

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2004
Status
Thanks for the reply guys. After reading your posts, I have decided to go to the interview.

onetoothleft said:
DEFINITELY go to the tufts interview. Tufts is one of the best dental school IMO, since it has a very strong clinical program and the students always score within the top 10 (most times top 5) in the nation in board scores, which is very important for residencies. It is a very well rounded program.
SadSmile said:
NYU has the third most expensive tuition cost in the nation but when you factor in the living expenses in NYC, you will end up with >$80,000 per year. It kicks out the highest # of students so if you find yourself struggling to adjust and end up getting kicked out, you will end up with >$80,000-160,000 on your back and no way to pay them back.

The percentage of NYU students getting into specialities is not what Amy Knowles says it is. She told us 64% of their students get into specialty programs but the students there said maybe 16-18%. They said 64% was impossible. I would recommend you reading threads posted by the current NYU students.

About Tufts, I would definitely go there for the interview. In January, I was in the same situation as you are in right now in. I got accepted to NYU without interview so I was debating whether I should look into another private school like Tufts but I ended up going there for the interview and came out more impressed than ever. I think Tufts is a lot better than NYU.

Tufts doesn't have application fees and they send you all these big packages filled with information before your interview. That's pretty cool to begin with.

If you don't go, you will end up regretting later on. I went to every school I was invited to except for UPitt. I was so beat after two weeks of traveling for the interviews, I didn't want to bother with UPitt. I'm sure I missed a lot by not going there. Just something to think about..