Tufts University Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thirdator

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to know if anyone has been accepted to Tufts and is planning on attending in August. This is most likely where I will end up. I am in the Boston area (in Brighton) already, so it won't be too much of a transition for me, although I am looking to move closer to downtown.

Members don't see this ad.

I got in last Friday, and I'm pretty excited about it. I'm still waiting on UMass and I don't yet know what I'll do if I get in there, but for now it's all Chinatown, all the time.

I just got in, that was a long wait. Anyway, just wondering if anyone is in the MD/MBA program. I am in the process of trying to find a roommate starting June 1st. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
jjthomas said:
I just got in, that was a long wait. Anyway, just wondering if anyone is in the MD/MBA program. I am in the process of trying to find a roommate starting June 1st. Thanks

hey everyone, i was just accepted to tufts!! congrats to everyone else who was accepted :) im in the MD program and am going to be looking for a roommate for next year so if anyone's interested, let me know!

BubbleWand1 said:
hey everyone, i was just accepted to tufts!! congrats to everyone else who was accepted :) im in the MD program and am going to be looking for a roommate for next year so if anyone's interested, let me know!

BubbleWand1, congratulations!! You must be soo excited! Was this off the waitlist? I am a propspective applicant, and I would really appreciate it if you could share a bit of your story (i.e. Mdapplicants info, or a brief pre-app-->app-->secondaries-->interviews-->acceptance overview)

Again, congrats! That's so awesome!

Hey Everyone! I'll be attending Tufts as well in August. Coming from NYC, so hopefully the move won't be too crazy. Congratulations to all of you and I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys this year.

John

Hey guys! I had a question about housing. I search the Tufts SOM website for some sort of housing office and came up empty. I thought I wanted to live in Central Square but now I'm starting to wonder what options I have that are closer to campus. Chinatown is out, anyone have other ideas?

cammy1313 said:
Hey guys! I had a question about housing. I search the Tufts SOM website for some sort of housing office and came up empty. I thought I wanted to live in Central Square but now I'm starting to wonder what options I have that are closer to campus. Chinatown is out, anyone have other ideas?

Hey cammy! I'm trying to find housing too and it's been a huge pain (although the mailing from the housing coordinator was really helpful) - I know that south end/back bay are pretty close to the school, along with malden and jamaica plain. Also, I think North End is close as well. i've been trying to look for stuff but it's hard when I don't yet have a roommate and know very little about boston. good luck to you!

Places vary greatly in price depending on the type of neighborhood you want to live in. I am at Tufts now and I live in Jamaica Plain, which is not bad around the Green st and Stony Brook T stations on the west side on the tracks. Other than that the area is kind of ghetto. Quite a few people got a place on Criagslist.org. Orange line drops you off at school, red and green are a bit farther. North End is nice, south end is nice (is the gay neighborhood), Jamaica Plain has a strong lesbian community. Cambridge is not bad, the red line is fast, the green line is notoriously slow.

BubbleWand1 said:
Hey cammy! I'm trying to find housing too and it's been a huge pain (although the mailing from the housing coordinator was really helpful) - I know that south end/back bay are pretty close to the school, along with malden and jamaica plain. Also, I think North End is close as well. i've been trying to look for stuff but it's hard when I don't yet have a roommate and know very little about boston. good luck to you!

Malden is nowhere near Tufts, and Jamaica Plain isn't that close either, although you can get on the Orange line and get to NEMC very quickly.

Distance is all relative. I bike in to school most days its not freezing out, one of the profs at the med school lives down the street and he also bikes in, its 4.5 miles and I have classmates who bike in from Malden and Cambridge. All under 6miles. Boston is a small town.

r1oid said:
Distance is all relative. I bike in to school most days its not freezing out, one of the profs at the med school lives down the street and he also bikes in, its 4.5 miles and I have classmates who bike in from Malden and Cambridge. All under 6miles. Boston is a small town.

Right, but of all the places in Boston that are actually close to Tufts, Malden is not one of them. Malden isn't even in Boston. It's one of hundreds of suburbs. So I am curious as to why it was one of the first places you suggested. I would imagine a young student population wouldn't want to live out in Malden, and there are SO many neighborhoods that are infinitely closer to Tufts, more accessible by public transport, and do not necessitate biking 4 miles in the snow in the winter.

It just seemed like one of the most random answers you could give to the question of where to live. To me, that's like telling someone who wants to know where is a good place to live to be close to P&S, "Staten Island is pretty close!" Which is true, if by "close" you mean under 20 miles, but it's not the kind of answer most students are looking for.

Thanks for all of your suggestions guys. Central Square is still the front-runner for me. I just fell in love with it when I lived in Boston and I knew that if I moved back that I had to live there. The North End sounds like a great place to look too though. I do LOVE italian food! I just don't know how feasible it would be to find parking in North End though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question was where to live if you are going to Tufts Med, that is where people live. At least 4 people in my class live in Malden, it is on the orange line and it is affordable. Same as with Jamaica Plain which is more "hip" orange line and affordable, around 10 people in my class live in this neighborhood. Rent in these areas for shared apartments can be in the reasonable $500-$650 range/ room. south end, north end, cambridge (although reasonable in some places), and downtown are steps up from that range. Do a quick search on Craigslist and you can get a better idea about costs. Also winter heating at most places (if not included) can tack on $40+ a month. Coldest two months this year cost me $90 each month.

Anyone doing the pre-matriculation program? I'll be traveling so I just turned it down. Just curious if a lot of students decide to do it.

So, out of curiosity, did you select Tufts because Dr. Rey of Dr. 90210 went there?

cammy1313 said:
Anyone doing the pre-matriculation program? I'll be traveling so I just turned it down. Just curious if a lot of students decide to do it.

I'm not doing it - were you invited to this program because I haven't heard anything about since my interview.

BubbleWand1 said:
I'm not doing it - were you invited to this program because I haven't heard anything about since my interview.

I was sent a letter along with a reply card about a week after my acceptance letter arrived. I'm assuming it's open to all interested students.

Hello,
I have recently been admitted and don't know anything about the housing situation. Is anyone here looking for a female roommate? Please pm me.

cammy1313 said:

contact Jordan Siegel, he's the housing coordinator at Tufts. He's helpful.

prazmatic said:
Hey guys. Some of you who were on the waitlist thread may remember me. In any case, Tufts is my only waitlist school and my top choice. My interview was on April 26, the last day of the interview season. I was wondering if any of yall accepted had interviews in April. Maybe itll give me a little more hope :rolleyes:
Congrats to yall. Hopefully Ill be with you guys in August.

I interviewed on April 26th as well, and was accepted. Good luck!

Just out of curiosity, what schools have you guys turned down in order to attend Tufts?

Also, does anyone know if the immunization form is the only thing required regarding our health? Other schools have asked for lengthy physicals and such. Reason I ask is I'm heading to the doctor's this week and would like to get everything done that is necessary in one visit.

Thanks!

cammy1313 said:
Just out of curiosity, what schools have you guys turned down in order to attend Tufts?

Also, does anyone know if the immunization form is the only thing required regarding our health? Other schools have asked for lengthy physicals and such. Reason I ask is I'm heading to the doctor's this week and would like to get everything done that is necessary in one visit.

Thanks!

I'm an MD/MBA 1st yr, so i'm already in school going through my mba courses. The only items requested of me were immunizations and the type of health plan I would use (tufts hmo vs. waiver). The TB test needs to be have been performed within a year.

in terms of your "comparability" question (as i interpret it =):
I interviewed at ucla, tufts, and brown. All the schools seemed pretty comparable to me:
UCLA = great weather, great rank and reputation, 10 min from home
Brown = awesome children's hospital, ivy, and quaint city
Tufts = great dual degree options, awesome city, interesting/down to earth students, great med school reputation
The facilities are pretty good at all three places.

I ended up getting into tufts only, but didn't feel I had lost out compared to the other places I interviewed. It would have definitely been tough decision had I been accepted to the other places. I was bummed I only got one acceptance, of course, but only for that reason - just one acceptance. I'm extremely satisfied with the school, especially now that I'm here.

When I was applying, I chose to apply to only a few mid/upper tiers: BU, UCI, Tufts, and U. Chicago (cuz my dad went there). The rest were top 15's i think. I chose to apply to Tufts over a lot of other great, comparable schools that I considered including ucd, emory, usc, case, rochester (was undergrad there), georgetown. The facilities, city, reputation, and dual degrees made it for me.

In other words, :thumbup: congrats for getting into tufts and be proud. I would've chosen tufts over UCI too 8D.

Thanks, cleansocks.

Just trying to bump this thread so we have a chance of communicating some before classes start. Speaking of which, I haven't gotten any sort of academic calendar on when exactly that is. Website says orientation was Aug 23rd last year so I'm going by that :)

cammy1313 said:
Thanks, cleansocks.

Just trying to bump this thread so we have a chance of communicating some before classes start. Speaking of which, I haven't gotten any sort of academic calendar on when exactly that is. Website says orientation was Aug 23rd last year so I'm going by that :)

It begins on the 22nd i believe, though I'm sure they'll provide you with tons of info about this in the upcoming months ^^.

cleansocks said:
It begins on the 22nd i believe, though I'm sure they'll provide you with tons of info about this in the upcoming months ^^.

Hey everyone!

Just accepted off the waitlist today...Looking for housing obviously...I must admit I am a little apprehensive about the whole random roommate thing, but if any of you girls (or guys for that matter) need one, I'm looking for someone to split rent with!!

clstar22 said:
Hey everyone!

Just accepted off the waitlist today...Looking for housing obviously...I must admit I am a little apprehensive about the whole random roommate thing, but if any of you girls (or guys for that matter) need one, I'm looking for someone to split rent with!!

congrats = )

clstar22 said:
Hey everyone!

I was actually gonna post an ad on craigslist in about a month but I figure I could ask my future classmates if they need a place to live. I found a place in Quincy with a washer/dryer in the apt, 1.5 baths, and plenty of street parking (I have a car so that pretty much decided where I was going to live). It's 1.5 blocks from the Wollaston T-stop on the red line, there's a grocery store across the street and a gym behind the building. Rent would be about $750 per month including all utilities.

I'll be heading out on vacation in the next day or so until Aug 1st and won't actually be moving to Boston until 3rd week of August. But, if the apt peeks anyone's interest feel free to PM me and we can chat when I return.

has anyone gotten registration info yet? all i know is school starts the 22nd.

I'll be dorming this year. Anyone else?

Nope, I haven't gotten any registration info yet either. I am sure it will be a huge packet of information when we actually get it.

Last edited:
got my orientation stuff and dorm assignment this week. sort of exciting and scary cuz the test dates are on there

patrickstarfish said:
got my orientation stuff and dorm assignment this week. sort of exciting and scary cuz the test dates are on there

I know!! They start in just a few weeks!! Did you look at our class schedule on that tusk database? I'm gonna have to get used to that 8am I guess!

can you guys tell me how I can get access to the tusk database? thanks

Jane2005 said:
can you guys tell me how I can get access to the tusk database? thanks
ive looked at it by clicking on the guest access button. then you can see the schedule if you click on the weeks you want to look at. :rolleyes:

Has anyone who is starting Orientation on Monday heard anything about which books are crucial to have and which ones....aren't?

Looking forward to meeting everyone

niemim said:
Has anyone who is starting Orientation on Monday heard anything about which books are crucial to have and which ones....aren't?

Looking forward to meeting everyone

I haven't heard a thing but I was assuming three things:

1) We'll find out from 2nd years on day one of orientation what we'll need.

2) I probably won't buy any textbooks because I have plenty of good ones for the first few classes we'll be in anyway (any excuse to save money).

3) If we HAVE to have certain book(s) then I'm sure they'll be available in the library for referencing if they somehow come up short on copies at the bookstore (or if you want to order it online for cheaper and have to wait for it to arrive).

See you on Monday!

hola,

Textbooks I've been told by a second year we need for first semester: the red colored "required" histology text. Besides that, tusk and those thick packets we get for every class are more than sufficient, or so I've been told. I suppose it depends if you love/need supplimental readings.