Tufts VS BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koci

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
cumulative gpa of 3.3 and Mcat (484) , i only applied to MD schools.

I do not feel ready to retake the Mcat for these years so maybe in the future i will reapply.

Looking for advice for an alternative career, i have gotten a few suggestions for DO or Podriatic, or Physician assistant or nurse practitioner, also pharmacy?

I do not want to spend my next 3 years waiting to get into MD so i want to start an alternative career and see how it goes and maybe in the future i can still retry the MD.

I was thinking instead of waiting one year or two depending if i get accepted into MD, i can start a Master degree in one of the med schools that i want to get in, which will help me get more knowledge because the classes are similar to the first year MD program. During the time i am doing my master and gain a stronger knowledge i can reapply for MD and they might give me an advantage to get accepted since i will do the masters on their school. I was thinking either Tufts or BU, they both have a masters program that helps students get accepted into MD. The only negative side is that i will lose 50k and once accepted in MD the master program will be more in the shadow, but i would still get the knowledge and will help me though MD and at the same time if i don't get accepted i would still end up with a Masters degree instead of just waiting and reapplying hoping to get in MD. Basically i will lose the money but i will save my time and be more secure about the future.

Members don't see this ad.

I did the BUSM program. It was pretty rough, but a lot of people got into MD and DO schools afterward.

With your MCAT, medical school is absolutely out of the question. It is the lowest score I have ever heard of. Unless you retake and get above the average matriculation MCAT score (not sure what that is anymore, I am from the old MCAT era), you will not get into any medical schools even with a 4.0 from BUSM's SMP program. That is the reality you are facing at this present time.

Also, with a 484 on the MCAT, you are likely to fail out of an SMP program.

Reactions: 1 user
I really don't mean to be an ass, but wow why did you apply to MD schools with that score? Honestly, MD is pretty much out of the question, unless you can score like a 515+ to show that the first score is a fluke, but even then, your GPA is still holding you back. Also, your english is pretty bad, did you get like a super low score on the CARS? That section is the hardest to improve, and even harder if you are not fluent or do not have a good grasp on the english language.
Since your MCAT is realllyyyy low and CARS is going to be a huge barrier, (coupled w/ other factors), I wouldn't recommend the medical school route, MD or DO. It's just too much or a hurdle and in your case, would require 2+ years of strengthening your application. I'd recommend self-evaluation on what you really want to do in healthcare.
Podiatry is a viable option, but you still have to take the MCAT. Their averages are much lower so if you can boost that score by 15 points, then you should be good. Easier said than done though. Pharmacy is also a viable option, but if you completely bombed the sciences on the MCAT as well, then it will also be a struggle. PA requires GRE which is much easier than MCAT, but PA school GPAs are around 3.5 so you need to raise that GPA + PA requires a lot of outside healthcare exp for your application. I do not recommend any SMP right now, boost your undergrad GPA up.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.