Tufts vs Icahn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hgw1234

Reaction score
Hi all - looking for some advice. I like the Boston area better but the Sinai school better. Have not had the chance to visit either school in person due to the cycle, so I will be attending both second look events. But in the meantime, any advice is appreciated (particularly if any current students browse this board). I am interested in internal medicine/primary care/family medicine long term but I'd like to keep an open mind about it since I don't know anything yet.

Tufts
Pros
  • ~2-3 hrs to White Mountains/Cape Cod/Maine
  • I like Boston better than NYC as a city in terms of people, vibe, architecture
  • Atmosphere here might be more relaxed among students which is something I would prioritize
  • Could get apartment with garden/backyard space and money goes a longer way for square footage all of which are important to me
Cons
  • Not that excited about Tufts Medical Center as a homebase in terms of exposure to diverse patient/case load
  • Don't love the Chinatown area of Boston
  • More expensive
  • Bigger class size

Icahn
Pros
  • Mt Sinai hospital system and rotations seem really incredible - from big academic flagship to Elmhurst -- will be exposed to absolutely everything in NYC
  • Better ranked? Not sure how significant or meaningful this difference is.
  • Campus area right on Central Park so it doesn't feel as urban
  • I have many friends and family scattered across NYC which would provide nice mental breaks from med school atmosphere

Cons
  • I will be living with my girlfriend, which means I won't be able to take advantage of defrayed costs of Aron Hall and as a result might be harder to be a part of the student community there.
  • Very expensive to live in NYC - apartments more cramped, etc.
  • Very hard to get out of New York City to clear my head. Very important to me to be able to get to backpacking/surfing/hiking areas

Members don't see this ad.

Go to Icahn - it's cheaper and better school overall. Great hospital system, more resources, great home residencies. Having central park next door will give you a bit more "breathing room." The only con is the high CoL in NYC - but not like Boston is too much better. Will your SO be working? That will help if you have to look for "off-campus" housing - ends up being cheaper across the river in Queens. If you do end up being there, there is a shuttle between Elmhurst and Mount Sinai Hospital too.

Also, you can reach hiking/nature areas in upstate NY, NJ (Jersey Shore), and PA (Delaware Water Gap, Poconos) within 2-3 hours from NYC too.

Reactions: 2 users
I’d also go with Icahn. To your point about expensive apartments in NYC, I have a friend who lives in the South Harlem area a few blocks from Icahn, and she has a pretty spacious apartment for <$1.1K a month. Of course, if you’re looking for a one bedroom, it will run you higher, but that general area is cheaper than places further downtown.

You're gonna be in a city either way, but it sounds from your post like location is pretty important to you. Boston does have smaller neighborhoods (Cambridge, Somerville) which feel more residential/community-oriented, while Manhattan is pretty urban through and through (though CP is nice!). Icahn has a stronger reputation within medicine as others have pointed out, to the extent that is something important to you, but the students there are sometimes more intense than those you might find at a place like Tufts (probably comes both from being in NYC and being at an institution like Sinai), which sounds like may be a consideration for you as well given what's on your list.

Tufts is a good school, but school quality/reputation and cost align with Sinai. Would say go with Sinai and don't look back. Can't say too much about educational differences, but the name will open doors that you'll appreciate down the road when you're going through the stress of applying to residencies, and the lower debt will make you happy as you start earning those paychecks. Congrats future doctor!