tufts vs mcp vs nymc vs suny @ syracuse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TweetiePie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ny resident. got accepted to suny @ syracuse. still have interviews @ tufts, mcp, nymc. u think those private schools are really worth the $$$? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

In the case of MCP and NYMC there is no real benefit in terms of reputation or opportunities that would be worth the large amount of extra tuition you would pay over Syracuse.Tufts is a more well known institution nationally and will give you the benefit of living in Boston.By virtue of its location you may make contacts which might help give an edge in going to more competitive hospitals or specialties(perhaps).Having said that... Tufts is a VERY expensive place relative to a SUNY school and for this reason many people would not consider it.I would suggest going to the Tufts interview and seeing for yourself if you think its worth it.

I'm a SUNY-Upstate student graduating in May...
Four years ago I chose this school over NYMC for financial reasons. Tufts has a decent name, but their tuition is outrageous and so are living expenses in Boston (ask about their avg debt). This school is doing a lot of renovation (as you saw) and the med student experience is overall quite good. As for matching, our results have been great in every specialty -- but judge for yourself and ask the admissions office for last year's match list. Considering other schools you named, I would choose Upstate again.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is always in your best interest to have all the information possible when making a decision. I think you should attend all the interviews and see where you are the most comfortable or excited. And as for making a decision based on money, I wouldn't let it be the sole factor. I know two students who chose SUNY downstate over Tufts and are now regretting the decision. Needless to say, Tufts is expensive, and Boston is even more costly...so choose wisely.

Neel
Tufts MD '05

I'm a first year at Tufts and I generally agree with Neel; however money is a huge factor. I know that I would have gone to my state school (UMAB) if I had had the choice. However, my state school is ranked only a little lower than Tufts, and I know a girl in my class who chose Tufts over SUNY Upstate because she had some very unfavorable impressions of some Upstate grads. I'd advise you based on personal experience to go to the Tufts interview and see what you think, and forget about MCP and NYMC, which are good schools but not all that well-regarded in comparison. good luck!

Kate
Tufts M'05

thank u all on your comments :D

I agree, it always makes sense to see what's out there. Upstate hasn't made the rankings recently, but US News ranks more on the amt. of research funding than the level of student satisfaction, debt, and match success. Upstate now is really a nice place for students -- a new auditorium, a beautiful library, renovated classrooms, a new $20 million institute for research and teaching space... and the hospital is making plans to expand in the next several years.
It also depends on where you might like to end up after medical school. About half of our class is from the NYC area, and many want to return there for residency... so we match many people to NYC and the programs know us well. If you prefer the Boston area, then obviously Tufts makes more sense...

at this point i am interested in ob/gyn. had enough (3 years) of research. so to me the main focus is on the clinical aspects.

As an Upstater myself, I can confirm that we have no difficulty in matching residents into prestigious programs all across the country. We also have an exciting Ob-Gyn faculty with heavy research focus on reproductive endocrinology. I personally think that all medical schools are homogenous enough that I wouldn't bother spending the extra dough for a brand-name. This was my philosophy 4 years ago, and I do not regret my choices in any way. Work hard at any medical school, get the right combo of grades, recs, and board numbers and you can write your ticket no matter what your alma mater!

Mindy

I'd go to the interview at Tufts because of their reputation and decide later. NYMC and MCP are nice, but not worth the extra $$.

I'm mdhopeful's cousin and saw this site -- went to Upstate a few years ago

Was originally from NYC and could never get used to life in Syracuse -- very cold and too much snow & "lake" effect snow.

I would suggest spending a few days in Syracuse to get a feel for it and the student culture.