tufts vs miami md/mph

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strawberriesandmcat

Reaction score
help me decide please!

Tufts:
- Pros:
- 4- year MD/MPH (20 people)
- Strong match rate (want to match in NE)
- Strong NE network (Harvard, Tufts, Montefiore, etc)
- next door to Harvard, MIT and affiliates (lots of opportunities to get involved here with research/extra opportunities if an opportunity is not available at Tufts/to make more connections)
- Interested in peds, so residency at BCH and affiliates is very appealing
- Research opportunities are in DC area for policy/Capitol Hill (good network/connections)
- 15 month pre-clinical
- Some rotations 1 on 1 with attending at select locations
- Have friends already/know people already
- P/F pre-clinical
- graded without internal ranking
- Integrating teleheath into their curriculum (i.e., future of healthcare)
- Optional rotations in 4th year so that you can 100% focus on residency interviews
- Research Concentration Program (built into a summer you have to apply) for people aiming for competitive residencies (sometimes instead of a gap year//will supplement it well)

- Cons:
- - MPH does not have concentration
- - MPH coursework is during the school year
- - Tuesday afternoon 'selective' classes (aka elective rotations) start from 1st year but this is the same time as MPH coursework, but faculty are often willing to schedule with you another day individually
- - MPH program director is leaving and they haven't told us who the new person will be
-- idk yet but most likely more $$$$

Miami:
Pros:
- 4 year MD/MPH with specialization in "health advocacy and medical policy in the law" (50 people)
- opportunities to get involved in local or federal-level policy (emphasis is on local)
- Strong match rate (not just regional, NE too)
- 12 month pre-clinical
- ALL rotations are 1 on 1 with attending at regional campus as part of the mph (strong letters of rec and more hands on learning)
- P/F pre-clinical
- idk yet but most likely cheaper

Cons:
- graded and internal ranking during clinical years (quartile system)
- have to move to another campus 2nd year (only MD/MPH cohort) so potentially more isolating
- has a strong Florida/southern network, but not as many connections with the NE
- don't know anyone in the area (not even remotely close)
- wary about UM's social party reputation
- have heard from other students that MPH coursework is very basic and low caliber/didn't think they learned a lot (this was said by students who went to an undergrad with a good PH program)

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like you already know you want to choose Tufts. You mentioned more pros vs Miami and far less cons as well. Plus no internal grading, no inconvenience of having to move later, and overall Tufts having a more academic setting with the other schools nearby, seems like an easy decision for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Seems like you already know you want to choose Tufts. You mentioned more pros vs Miami and far less cons as well. Plus no internal grading, no inconvenience of having to move later, and overall Tufts having a more academic setting with the other schools nearby, seems like an easy decision for me.
thanks! I love the vibe at tufts but think I'm worried that I'll be missing out on that 1 on 1 clinical experience at miami which was a huge selling point throughout their interview/from current students. and clinical experience in general since they're only 12 month preclinical. not sure if that's a genuine concern though

thanks! I love the vibe at tufts but think I'm worried that I'll be missing out on that 1 on 1 clinical experience at miami which was a huge selling point throughout their interview/from current students. and clinical experience in general since they're only 12 month preclinical. not sure if that's a genuine concern though

While 1-on-1 with an attending sounds really great, there are plenty of schools where you rotate with residents and those students come out just fine at the end of it all. Also, it can sometimes be nice to have a resident as a buffer between you and an attending. Attending says you gotta stay late? Not if the residents secretly send you home for the day.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user