TUFTS vs. NYU vs. REAPPLY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3wwe1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I basically got accepted to two of the most expensive schools and wanted opinions. Should I reconsider applying or go to one of these schools. Any advice is really appreciated.

Stats: 3.75 GPA, 22 DAT.

Members don't see this ad.

how many schools did you apply to? which state are you from? pretty good GPA and DAT score to only get accepted to those two schools

Reactions: 1 users
how many schools did you apply to? which state are you from? pretty good GPA and DAT score to only get accepted to those two schools
With 2th on this one, rather odd to only have those two to pick from with your stats, though I guess we don’t know your ECs/background. If you’re looking to take out loans to pay for the entirety of school, I’m hard pressed to tell you to go for it honestly. As many will tell you (especially from that NYU thread from last week lol), going to a school that will leave you 500K+ in debt is a tough decision, though some people do go through with it. I suggest talking to current students at these schools, @DentGent13 can give you the scoop on NYU and there’s a Tufts AMA active right now. I saw a thread a while ago where someone said that adcoms might look negatively upon an applicant that was accepted to the school, then turned them down and reapplied, but I’m not sure how true that is. Maybe @Mr.Smile12 can share more on how that would really go.

You can go to a school that accepted you now and be ~500k in debt or maybe get into a cheaper school next year, have ~$150k less debt, provided you get in, and also lose a year of income and building your business and speed which will be roughly $150k if not more

Id go to one of the schools that accepted you. Both are fine programs which will make you a good dentist, albeit expensive. There are no guarantees in life

Members don't see this ad :)
Reapply. Get some with experience and try to improve your application in any way you can. Your stats are good enough and perhaps some schools just overlooked you. But there's no point in going to nyu/tufts drowning in all the debt + interest just to get subpar clinical experience

Reapply. Get some with experience and try to improve your application in any way you can. Your stats are good enough and perhaps some schools just overlooked you. But there's no point in going to nyu/tufts drowning in all the debt + interest just to get subpar clinical experience
Neither school gives you subpar clinical experience. Most cheaper schools he gets into will be about $150k less aka about a year of income that he loses by waiting and reapplying. It doesnt make any sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Neither school gives you subpar clinical experience. Most cheaper schools he gets into will be about $150k less aka about a year of income that he loses by waiting and reapplying. It doesnt make any sense.
Yeah I would hardly call the amount of clinical experience you get at NYU subpar lol

Reactions: 1 user
I've posted some NYU clinical progress over at some other thread and some seems to agree that these numbers were high compared to other dental schools.

That said, to OP, it really depends. I am completely in agreeance with everyone that NYU is expensive and you should not go under most circumstances. If you live in the city and are frugal, that may work. However, if you have to move to NYC, then it probably is not worth it compared to your state school, as it could run north of 620k. My advice is do the math. If a years or even two years worth of future salary (after tax is roughly 100-150k) could make up for the difference in tuition, then I would go to NYU. If tuition exceeds a years worth or even two after tax, then I would choose to reapply. Assuming I was in your shoes and don't get into anywhere else and absolutely had to choose, I personally would not go to NYU if it costs 150k more than your cheapest option.

In my situation, I had gotten into both NYU and my state school as well as a few others. I had no top choice, but I did want to stay in the city as it had everything. My personal number was 80k, as in if the total cost of NYU costed over 80k more than my state school total, then I would have went to my state school instead. NYU costed nearly 80k more, and I felt that 80k was worth it to stay with my family, future wife, and friends. I also would have home cooked meals and did not have to live alone and cook. So I decided to stay and I am very happy to have made that decision.

The goal is to work out your numbers.

Reactions: 2 users
A bird in the hand... Maybe pursue ways to pay for the expensive tuition? Scholarships, military, specialization, repayment plans, etc

Reactions: 1 user
I basically got accepted to two of the most expensive schools and wanted opinions. Should I reconsider applying or go to one of these schools. Any advice is really appreciated.

Stats: 3.75 GPA, 22 DAT.
Go, do not reapply. There's no guarantee you'll get in the next time. Whichever one gives you a better value for experience and learning resources. The networking won't hurt either.

Knowing what I know now, I would scrap everything and completely change my profession before I went to NYU.

Just my opinion

(and probably same for tufts unless I got a scholarship)

Reactions: 3 users
I've posted some NYU clinical progress over at some other thread and some seems to agree that these numbers were high compared to other dental schools.

That said, to OP, it really depends. I am completely in agreeance with everyone that NYU is expensive and you should not go under most circumstances. If you live in the city and are frugal, that may work. However, if you have to move to NYC, then it probably is not worth it compared to your state school, as it could run north of 620k. My advice is do the math. If a years or even two years worth of future salary (after tax is roughly 100-150k) could make up for the difference in tuition, then I would go to NYU. If tuition exceeds a years worth or even two after tax, then I would choose to reapply. Assuming I was in your shoes and don't get into anywhere else and absolutely had to choose, I personally would not go to NYU if it costs 150k more than your cheapest option.

In my situation, I had gotten into both NYU and my state school as well as a few others. I had no top choice, but I did want to stay in the city as it had everything. My personal number was 80k, as in if the total cost of NYU costed over 80k more than my state school total, then I would have went to my state school instead. NYU costed nearly 80k more, and I felt that 80k was worth it to stay with my family, future wife, and friends. I also would have home cooked meals and did not have to live alone and cook. So I decided to stay and I am very happy to have made that decision.

The goal is to work out your numbers.

I agree as I'm a NYU student and feel bad for all the students who have to take out loans and pay for housing. But seeing that you got accepted into two schools that are roughly the same in terms of tuition and housing (unless your a native to one of the states and can save on housing)

I wouldnt reapply and just go to one of the two schools. NYU was my only acceptance (wait listed at 3 other schools) and I dont regret going to NYU just because I commute so I save a lot, I'm happier because I'm with my friends and family, and I have ways to destress and people to rant to.

Without knowing your ECs and hours, I would only reapply if this part of your application was lacking and you truly think you have a chance at another school. If not I would choose the school that has the right environment for you. Boston vs NYC both are great Cities but have different vibes. Pick the school that you can see yourself enjoying and the city you can live in for the next 4 years.