OU (IS) vs. BU vs. TUFTS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothangel.777

Reaction score

* IS
Pros:
  • tuition is cheap for instate
  • class of 54 before the international student joins in
  • less "competitiveness" for research (which I want to participate in and have experience in).
  • Close home, close to my family
  • Clinical begins 2nd semester in DS2 year.
Cons:
  • Only dental school in Oklahoma
  • not a lot of opportunities? (I can't say this for sure, but I want to do specialties, but I do not want to be stuck in Oklahoma forever).
  • 8-10:1 student-faculty ratio
School 2: BU
Class size is around 120ish. Nor a pro or a con.

Pros:
  • The staff looks super welcoming
  • great DEI program
  • more research and community service opportunities
  • 8:1 student-faculty ratio
  • APEX program
Cons:
  • Less clinical as it begins the third year
  • Expensive
  • more competitivity
School 2: Tufts
Pros:
  • Lots of opportunities
  • have some of the best oral maxillofacial radiologists (a specialty I am interested in).
  • In Chinatown, I speak Chinese, so I could fit in more. I would probably have more patients of the same ethnicity as me.
Cons:
  • Expensive
  • Huge class
  • It's probably also super competitive as well.
Summary: Overall, I am leaning towards BU just because I had a chance to visit BU and it was pretty nice. I want to go outstate, and not stay in Oklahoma forever (lol), but I am not sure what the best time to do so (for school or after school) is. I feel like after school, it will be hard to move to other places because you already have your patients in an area you do not want to leave. I really want to hear other people's opinions and suggestions. I wanted to include Tufts as well because price-wise, BU and Tufts are about the same. I graduated from a big high school and went to a semi-big college, so I'm not super picky on class size, but also very unsure if I want to attend class every day with 200+ students (tufts). I have a big interest in research and OMR, and I just don't want to miss out on my opportunities if I decide to go that route. I just can't say if Oklahoma would have the same amount of resources, but at the same time, if I could stay close to my mom, that would be nice. Lots of contradictions.... Please let me know what you think! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

OU. Tough it out instate for 4 more years then you can move out

Reactions: 1 users
1703708370331.png

This is one of the least expensive dental programs you could go to. You are going to miss out majorly if you do not attend OU. I think you would seriously regret it.

Not only is BU & Tufts going to cost more than double for tuition and fees, but the cost of living will be significantly higher than in in Boston as well. Please attend your in-state school. You will be thanking yourself in the future.

BU costs: 2023–2024 Predoctoral Tuition & Fees | Dental School

Tufts cost: Forms and Costs for DMD and DIS Programs | School of Dental Medicine

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 380188
This is one of the least expensive dental programs you could go to. You are going to miss out majorly if you do not attend OU. I think you would seriously regret it.

Not only is BU & Tufts going to cost more than double for tuition and fees, but the cost of living will be significantly higher than in in Boston as well. Please attend your in-state school. You will be thanking yourself in the future.
Holy ****

Reactions: 1 user
Having the only dental school in the state isn’t a con. You’re not competing for patients then. Go to OU. The debt from Tufts and BU isn’t worth it if you have cheaper options.

Reactions: 2 users

* IS
Pros:
  • less "competitiveness" for research (which I want to participate in and have experience in).
Cons:
  • not a lot of opportunities? (I can't say this for sure, but I want to do specialties, but I do not want to be stuck in Oklahoma forever).

Pros:
  • great DEI program
  • APEX program
Cons:
  • Expensive
  • more competitivity
Pros:
  • Lots of opportunities
  • have some of the best oral maxillofacial radiologists (a specialty I am interested in).
  • In Chinatown, I speak Chinese, so I could fit in more. I would probably have more patients of the same ethnicity as me.
Cons:
  • Expensive
  • Huge class
Summary: Overall, I am leaning towards BU just because I had a chance to visit BU and it was pretty nice. I want to go outstate, and not stay in Oklahoma forever (lol), but I am not sure what the best time to do so (for school or after school) is. I feel like after school, it will be hard to move to other places because you already have your patients in an area you do not want to leave. I really want to hear other people's opinions and suggestions. I wanted to include Tufts as well because price-wise, BU and Tufts are about the same. I graduated from a big high school and went to a semi-big college, so I'm not super picky on class size, but also very unsure if I want to attend class every day with 200+ students (tufts). I have a big interest in research and OMR, and I just don't want to miss out on my opportunities if I decide to go that route. I just can't say if Oklahoma would have the same amount of resources, but at the same time, if I could stay close to my mom, that would be nice. Lots of contradictions.... Please let me know what you think! Thank you.
do not go anywhere other than OU...

* IS
Pros:
Cons:

Pros:
  • great DEI program
  • APEX program
Cons:
  • Expensive
  • more competitivity
Pros:
  • Lots of opportunities
Cons:
  • Expensive
  • Huge class
Wow! I really think you are not realizing how lucky you are! Please DO NOT make the mistake of not going to OU. Let me be more clear, put your deposit down on OU today! Not tomorrow…now…right now!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Geez! Have your OU SOD alumni office connect you to Dr. Lu! (Scroll down to award mention.)
Read

also check to see how many international dentists tufts and BU add in your second or third year...

What about in case where I get a NHPC or HPSP scholarship for 3 year or 4 years in return of same amount of years of service for them? Does that make a difference? I would agree, especially after doing more math on loans, OU is definitely so much better, and I don’t have to worry about debt. I have always really debated about resources and whether it’s worth the 400k+ I will be paying.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about in case where I get a NHPC or HPSP scholarship for 3 year or 4 years in return of same amount of years of service for them? Does that make a difference? I would agree, especially after doing more math on loans, OU is definitely so much better, and I don’t have to worry about debt. I have always really debated about resources and whether it’s worth the 400k+ I will be paying.
Let's talk again once you have secured an NHSC or HPSP scholarship. Talk to your recruiter. I don't think it's as easy as you think.

Kinda like walking into Mordor...
One Does Not Simply Lord Of The Rings GIF

so you'd rather take a hypothetical over a sure thing???

I take it that you did not take my advice yet…reminder…put your deposit down on OU as soon as you read this post! I’m trying my best to help you make the right decision…there is a reason you are getting the same answers in this thread…you have folks that graduated from DS or currently in DS giving you the same GREAT advice. Go to OU and put this decision behind you and count your blessings!

Reactions: 4 users
so you'd rather take a hypothetical over a sure thing???
Definitely no!! I think I have just been overwhelmed with the fact that I got in a school in a bigger city and having the desire to move out state. I think having this thread really helped me to see what would really be the most beneficial for me in the long run… where as in a girl in their 20s thinking about going out to explore with over 600K of debt in her life (lol). I do love Oklahoma and the cost of living just so much better, I just didn't know when is the best time to go explore. But like the other tread first and what my family told me, I can explore debt free after attending four years at OU and never worry about my financial. Then I can just focus on dentistry and continuing my education.

I truly do appreciate everyone inputting their suggestions! It really does help to break the bias I had leaning towards BU because it’s in a bigger city. Additionally I think it really helped to open my mind. Initially, I was really thinking about the opportunities I will get in Boston and the connections I could make. But I do think that in Oklahoma I can make those same connections and opportunities I want, if I put in my efforts for it and it would be more rewarding for me. Loans was a big part why I didn’t put a deposit down to BU, because I was fortunate where I didn’t have to pay for undergrad or take out much loans. So I didn’t really have an idea how it would work and how much I’d end up with. So calculating that for BU was definitely eye opening. I do not think I can ever sleep good or eat good with that much loans over my head.

I don’t care if you *already got* HPSP. Why would you sell your soul to the government when you already have OU tuition in the bag. They’re not just paying $500k tuition for people out of the kindness of their hearts. There are big downsides

Reactions: 1 users
Applying for HPSP takes several months. Have you met with a recruiter and done the pre screening?

Applying for HPSP takes several months. Have you met with a recruiter and done the pre screening?
Yes I have! I’m in the process to schedule an interview in Jan. But the only reason I applied was if I went to BU. Since my decision would be OU, I don’t think I will move forward with HPSP program, in chances if I do get it (which is also less than 10% of a chance).

Definitely no!! I think I have just been overwhelmed with the fact that I got in a school in a bigger city and having the desire to move out state. I think having this thread really helped me to see what would really be the most beneficial for me in the long run… where as in a girl in their 20s thinking about going out to explore with over 600K of debt in her life (lol). I do love Oklahoma and the cost of living just so much better, I just didn't know when is the best time to go explore. But like the other tread first and what my family told me, I can explore debt free after attending four years at OU and never worry about my financial. Then I can just focus on dentistry and continuing my education.
Get involved in ASDA or SNDA or similar organizations. Go to meetings. In time, you'll travel, and it will be easier without the baggage of debt. Especially once you get a positive income portfolio with a practice.

Looks at faculty members who fly around to different dental schools and conferences lecturing... and I think they're in their mid-40s.