Tufts vs. State School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are other opinions than your own. Your tact is indicative of the type of person you are.

:thumbup:

I think the OP made up his mind to stay in state. It would be nice to not see anymore bashing on this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

:thumbup:

I think the OP made up his mind to stay in state. It would be nice to not see anymore bashing on this thread.

;) he's a smart guy and decided to be fiscally conservative instead of overpaying for the same diploma.

Members don't see this ad :)
x

Last edited:
There are other opinions than your own. Your tact is indicative of the type of person you are.

;) he's a smart guy and decided to be fiscally conservative instead of overpaying for the same diploma.

Wired202808, you keep repeating this as though you are qualified to tell people that all dental schools provide the same level of education. You get the same degree, but I believe the level education behind each diploma is different. The fact that you believe otherwise is simply your opinion, not a fact.

It’s too bad I didn’t meet you earlier. I could have saved my foolish friend that spent all that money to attend Penn Wharton. He could just have easily have gone to Kutztown and majored in business. I mean, it’s crazy to think that different schools might actually offer different levels of education on a certain material. If only he listened to you.

Now, while the level of difference is debatable, after my 9 interviews I believe there is a difference at dental schools in the level of preparation that you receive for you future career as a dental professional. I have spoken with the faculty, students, and seen the facilities on my interviews and in the dentists now in the profession. I didn’t apply because I wanted to get out of Philly, but it was well known by people I knew there while I lived in Philadelphia that Penn prepares their students in a fashion that is exceptional and is better when compared to almost all other schools. It’s the difference between needing that extra year of residency after graduating and not.

Wired202808, you keep repeating this as though you are qualified to tell people that all dental schools provide the same level of education. You get the same degree, but I believe the level education behind each diploma is different. The fact that you believe otherwise is simply your opinion, not a fact.

It's too bad I didn't meet you earlier. I could have saved my foolish friend that spent all that money to attend Penn Wharton. He could just have easily have gone to Kutztown and majored in business. I mean, it's crazy to think that different schools might actually offer different levels of education on a certain material. If only he listened to you.

Now, while the level of difference is debatable, after my 9 interviews I believe there is a difference at dental schools in the level of preparation that you receive for you future career as a dental professional. I have spoken with the faculty, students, and seen the facilities on my interviews and in the dentists now in the profession. I didn't apply because I wanted to get out of Philly, but it was well known by people I knew there while I lived in Philadelphia that Penn prepares their students in a fashion that is exceptional and is better when compared to almost all other schools. It's the difference between needing that extra year of residency after graduating and not.

I have no intention of speaking with you or responding. Please refrain from posting replies to my threads because after your behavior I have no intention of conversing with you.

Ps at dental school you "wharton" degree is as useful as your kutztown degree :D just saying.

haha i think the reason people hate me is because unlike other americans I have vowed a war against debt. I dont think debt is a good thing and I dont think you should snuggle up next to it at a night and pretend its your best friend. Yes some debt like educational and home mortgages is necessary, however everyone should be conscious of the effects of debt and how it can alter your future cash flow. Going to a cheaper school increases you future cash flow and can save you a ton of money. An additional 155K in student loans will equal a cash payout of 232K, if that doesn't scare people than I guess they're used to overspending. And yes as UltimateHombre and Iralex pointed out young predents like to think they know best, they think that its worth overspending for the same level of education because factors like the weather and your school town/city are "extremely important in the long run." I think as predents we should move away from short term gratification like weather, school location, etc and really take a step back and see the big picture. Your education at dental school X won't last more than 4 years, but your debt repayment program might have to be stretched out over 30 years because you decided that awesome weather and a nice fuzzy feeling about school X is worth an additional 233K.

I might have been harsh in some of the terms I used such as foolish, stupid, etc. However I'm a stronger believer of looking at the long term results vs. the short term. A short term mentality doesn't get you far in life and being a non-trad I've learned this the hard way. Again maybe I try to force my opinion but if you read at what I actually write you'll see a golden advice that your future self might appreciate and that you might regret because you decided that a fancy school with awesome weather and a Starbucks was worth 233K.. Now that's a whole lot of lattes.

I believe people get sick of how you act like you’re an expert on everything because you have spent the better part of a decade on SDN and got older while doing so. Sorry, getting older doesn’t mean you’ve necessarily grown wiser.

You remind me of this old homeless person I passed on my way to work in Philadelphia. He would scream at passing pedestrians about how they’re the devil. He firmly believed the things he said. Maybe he was right. Maybe we all are the devil. It was just so funny how matter of fact he was about it, as though he was the expert on the topic. Your posts remind me of this poor individual trapped in his prison of being unable to listen to others because he’s too busy screaming his version of the truth.

People can have differing opinions about spending on their dental education. Just because someone doesn’t follow your way of thinking doesn’t make them a fool or an idiot. You didn’t want to spend the extra money for what you consider the same education. Fine, enjoy your state school. After what I saw, and the people I spoke with, I realized that Tufts provided a better preparation. Now, if people agree with my opinion (which is what it is), then they must determine how much more that better preparation is worth. Now, you’ll still get to be a dentist from your state school. I just believe you’re not going to be as well prepared clinically. Then again, you’ll have spent less, so you may just be getting what you paid for.

I believe people get sick of how you act like you’re an expert on everything because you have spent the better part of a decade on SDN and got older while doing so. Sorry, getting older doesn’t mean you’ve necessarily grown wiser.

You remind me of this old homeless person I passed on my way to work in Philadelphia. He would scream at passing pedestrians about how they’re the devil. He firmly believed the things he said. Maybe he was right. Maybe we all are the devil. It was just so funny how matter of fact he was about it, as though he was the expert on the topic. Your posts remind me of this poor individual trapped in his prison of being unable to listen to others because he’s too busy screaming his version of the truth.

People can have differing opinions about spending on their dental education. Just because someone doesn’t follow your way of thinking doesn’t make them a fool or an idiot. You didn’t want to spend the extra money for what you consider the same education. Fine, enjoy your state school. After what I saw, and the people I spoke with, I realized that Tufts provided a better preparation. Now, if people agree with my opinion (which is what it is), then they must determine how much more that better preparation is worth. Now, you’ll still get to be a dentist from your state school. I just believe you’re not going to be as well prepared clinically. Then again, you’ll have spent less, so you may just be getting what you paid for.

I will continue to post and if you don't like it than that's life.

It’s too bad I didn’t meet you earlier. I could have saved my foolish friend that spent all that money to attend Penn Wharton. He could just have easily have gone to Kutztown and majored in business. I mean, it’s crazy to think that different schools might actually offer different levels of education on a certain material. If only he listened to you.

Now, while the level of difference is debatable, after my 9 interviews I believe there is a difference at dental schools in the level of preparation that you receive for you future career as a dental professional. I have spoken with the faculty, students, and seen the facilities on my interviews and in the dentists now in the profession. I didn’t apply because I wanted to get out of Philly, but it was well known by people I knew there while I lived in Philadelphia that Penn prepares their students in a fashion that is exceptional and is better when compared to almost all other schools. It’s the difference between needing that extra year of residency after graduating and not.

I want this thread archived, closed, or something.

There are people who will choose a cheaper school. There are people who will choose an expensive school. Regardless of what decision they make, it will not affect you and you should not call them names for having an opinion that is different from yours (wired, or anyone else). And if the OP has stated that he has made up his mind.....:beat: .... it's pointless to debate whether he should choose Tufts or SIU.

Well I'm glad he made you happy Wired. I hope you can sleep well now lol

haha i think the reason people hate me is because unlike other americans I have vowed a war against debt. I dont think debt is a good thing and I dont think you should snuggle up next to it at a night and pretend its your best friend. Yes some debt like educational and home mortgages is necessary, however everyone should be conscious of the effects of debt and how it can alter your future cash flow. Going to a cheaper school increases you future cash flow and can save you a ton of money. An additional 155K in student loans will equal a cash payout of 232K, if that doesn't scare people than I guess they're used to overspending. And yes as UltimateHombre and Iralex pointed out young predents like to think they know best, they think that its worth overspending for the same level of education because factors like the weather and your school town/city are "extremely important in the long run." I think as predents we should move away from short term gratification like weather, school location, etc and really take a step back and see the big picture. Your education at dental school X won't last more than 4 years, but your debt repayment program might have to be stretched out over 30 years because you decided that awesome weather and a nice fuzzy feeling about school X is worth an additional 233K.

I might have been harsh in some of the terms I used such as foolish, stupid, etc. However I'm a stronger believer of looking at the long term results vs. the short term. A short term mentality doesn't get you far in life and being a non-trad I've learned this the hard way. Again maybe I try to force my opinion but if you read at what I actually write you'll see a golden advice that your future self might appreciate and that you might regret because you decided that a fancy school with awesome weather and a Starbucks was worth 233K.. Now that's a whole lot of lattes.

It's possible to comment on the topic without having to attack other members. Please remember to keep it civil in these forums. If you want to bicker, take it to the lounge.

Members don't see this ad :)

If Penn prepares exceptionally, then why do tons of their class do residencies and specialties anyway? Just a thought.

Let me answer that actually: Because no matter what school you go to, you'll not be 100% up to full hand speed and business savvy in the profession.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most people don't like debt and most people know the repercussions of taking out huge loans.

I think most pre-dents will choose the cheaper option and there are a few who will opt for the more expensive school for their own reasons. Then you have students who only got into expensive schools over their state schools but I'm sure even most of them will advise people to go for the cheaper school if they have the choice.

EDIT: Due to the economic crises at our hands, a lot of young people (recent college grads and people about to leave college) are seeing themselves and/or their friends go through a tough time. Student loans need to be repaid and jobs for college grads are hard to come by. A Huffpost article stated that 2011 held the record for the most college grads moving back home. I don't know how people who left college 4+ years ago were confident about taking out loans or whatever but with this economic mess, a lot of young people will probably think multiple times before taking out a giant loan. So have some confidence with this group :)

Last edited:
If Penn prepares exceptionally, then why do tons of their class do residencies and specialties anyway? Just a thought.

I believe Penn's higher number of specialty placement, compared to other schools, is due to the reputation of the strong training and education they receive while in the school. I believe that is statistically correct based on placement numbers. That was just my thought.

Let me answer that actually: Because no matter what school you go to, you'll not be 100% up to full hand speed and business savvy in the profession.

That may be right. I sure hope we can all continue to improve after graduating. In my opinion, based on what I saw and the students/faculty/dentists I spoke with, one can receive better preparation at some schools than others. I simply named Penn because I felt like I could say it without any bias, as I didn't apply, have seen the school, lived in the city, spoke with people that had been patients there, and discussed the school with current students/alums of the school. The reputation suggested that the students leaving there were known to be better prepared than at many other places.

Last edited:
That may be right. I sure hope we can all continue to improve after graduating. In my opinion, based on what I saw and the students/faculty/dentists I spoke with, one can receive better preparation at some schools than others. I simply named Penn because I felt like I could say it without any bias, as I didn't apply, have seen the school, lived in the city, spoke with people that had been patients there, and discussed the school with current students/alums of the school. The reputation suggested that the students leaving there were known to be better prepared than at many other places.

I don't doubt this at all. I am just saying, no school will prepare you fully. Residencies/specialties and GPRs are always a good idea if you feel you need to come up to speed.

@OP My advise is.... Try to pick cheaper school and see whether you will be happy there.

Okay, I will share my personal story with you. I grew up in Virginia and went to University of Virginia for my undergrad. UVA in our state is a big deal and people will respect you for going there. Because of this, when I was looking for dental schools, I also had to see their names and their reputation in the region. This is one of main reasons why I declined VCU acceptance because their undergraduate reputation is horrible in VA. In my opinion, you will be a dentist at the end, so you should go to dental school where you will be happy. (only if money is not a big issue). I also believe you will be a competent dentist as long as YOU try your best.

I currently decided to go to USC over a couple dental schools. I understand many people look for different things, but I wanted to go to school where it has its brand, great sports teams, great campus, hot girls, things to do, etc. Therefore, I find USC and UVA being very similar in many ways. Plus, since money wasn't an issue (HPSP) and I wanted to be happy and have fun while becoming a dentist, I chose USC.

As OmnipoDent stated, Tufts is a great dental school and I personally think their program is better than many dental schools out there, but it's not a big deal in Boston, because there are Harvard and MIT right next to it. However, I personally think Tufts's dental school is better than BU and Harvard. It's really sad people in Boston don't realize it.

I don't know too much of SIU because I didn't apply there.

Again, this is my personal opinion, so it could be different from what you are looking for.
pm me if you have any more question. Good luck with your decision and please let us know! I know what you are going through! :)

Last edited:
@OP My advise is.... Try to pick cheaper school and see whether you will be happy there.

Okay, I will share my personal story with you. I grew up in Virginia and went to University of Virginia for my undergrad. UVA in our state is a big deal and people will respect you for going there. Because of this, when I was looking for dental schools, I also had to see their names and their reputation in the region. This is one of main reasons why I declined VCU acceptance because their undergraduate reputation is horrible in VA. In my opinion, you will be a dentist at the end, so you should go to dental school where you will be happy. (only if money is not an issue). I also believe you will be a competent dentist as long as YOU try your best.

I currently decided to go to USC over a couple dental schools. I understand many people look for different things, but I wanted to go to school where it has its brand, great sports teams, great campus, hot girls, things to do, etc. I find USC and UVA being very similar in many ways. Plus, since money wasn't an issue (HPSP) and I wanted to be happy and have fun while becoming a dentist, I chose USC.

As OmnipoDent stated, Tufts is a great dental school and I personally think their program is better than many dental schools out there, but it's not a big deal in Boston, because there are Harvard and MIT right next to it. However, I personally think Tufts's dental school is better than BU and Harvard. It's really sad people in Boston don't realize it.

Again, this is my personal opinion, so it could be different from what you are looking for.
pm me if you have any more question. Good luck with your decision and please let us know! I know what you are going through! :)

Kentuckylover, I'm sorry to hear you will not be joining all of us at Tufts this fall. USC sounds like it is exactly what you're looking for in a school, though. I'm sure it will go well for you over in LA.

Okay, I will share my personal story with you. I grew up in Virginia and went to University of Virginia for my undergrad. UVA in our state is a big deal and people will respect you for going there. Because of this, when I was looking for dental schools, I also had to see their names and their reputation in the region. This is one of main reasons why I declined VCU acceptance because their undergraduate reputation is horrible in VA. In my opinion, you will be a dentist at the end, so you should go to dental school where you will be happy. (only if money is not a big issue). I also believe you will be a competent dentist as long as YOU try your best.

I currently decided to go to USC over a couple dental schools. I understand many people look for different things, but I wanted to go to school where it has its brand, great sports teams, great campus, hot girls, things to do, etc. Therefore, I find USC and UVA being very similar in many ways. Plus, since money wasn't an issue (HPSP) and I wanted to be happy and have fun while becoming a dentist, I chose USC.

I'm from Boston and Tufts is highly regarded in both the dental and veterinary fields. Also their undergraduate program is excellent. It doesn't have the name like Harvard, but I don't know anyone who actually goes to Harvard for their dental work. BU isn't really easy to get to, so I also don't know anyone that goes there for dental work. I wouldn't call Tufts a "big deal" in Boston, but people general hold their dental program in high esteem. MIT doesn't have a dental program, so I don't know how that got in there. If you were referring to undergrad programs, there are tons in Boston, all with various strengths and weaknesses. Harvard and MIT certainly have benefits, but Tufts has instruction that can't be found at either of those places.

I'm from Boston and Tufts is highly regarded in both the dental and veterinary fields. Also their undergraduate program is excellent. It doesn't have the name like Harvard, but I don't know anyone who actually goes to Harvard for their dental work. BU isn't really easy to get to, so I also don't know anyone that goes there for dental work. I wouldn't call Tufts a "big deal" in Boston, but people general hold their dental program in high esteem. MIT doesn't have a dental program, so I don't know how that got in there. If you were referring to undergrad programs, there are tons in Boston, all with various strengths and weaknesses. Harvard and MIT certainly have benefits, but Tufts has instruction that can't be found at either of those places.

Tufts is an awesome school... but its not 155K pre interest to 233K post interest more awesome...

I want this thread archived, closed, or something.

There are people who will choose a cheaper school. There are people who will choose an expensive school. Regardless of what decision they make, it will not affect you and you should not call them names for having an opinion that is different from yours (wired, or anyone else). And if the OP has stated that he has made up his mind.....:beat: .... it's pointless to debate whether he should choose Tufts or SIU.

I agree with the bolded part. Even though I think you should go to the cheaper school, I really don't care what others on a anonymous forum choose because I really don't care what happens in your future. However, if you were someone I care about, my attitude would be similar to Wired and I would impose my opinions on them.

So maybe the reason why Wired is putting so much effort in imposing his opinion is because he has a big heart and actually cares about the people on this forum :p.

Tufts is an awesome school... but its not 155K pre interest to 233K post interest more awesome...

I gathered that from this thread. I think we all understand. I was just talking about schools in Boston. There is also no Massachusetts state school, so I'm indifferent.

I agree with the bolded part. Even though I think you should go to the cheaper school, I really don't care what others on a anonymous forum choose because I really don't care what happens in your future. However, if you were someone I care about, my attitude would be similar to Wired and I would impose my opinions on them.

So maybe the reason why Wired is putting so much effort in imposing his opinion is because he has a big heart and actually cares about the people on this forum :p.

I do care too much :) I'm gonna have to stop and let everyone make their own mistakes in life. lolz.