Tufts vs. State School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

womboona

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to Tufts today, however I've been accepted to SIU and MWU-IL. I really liked the facilities, curriculum, and city of Boston however I'm worried about the ~400K+ debt I would graduate with if I attended Tufts. I can attend SIU at a cost of ~220K. Its a great school, but I wasn't the biggest fan of the location (Alton, IL).

has anyone else chosen Tufts over their respective state schools? and why? :shrug:

Members don't see this ad.

With interest and everything, it's going to cost you 200k more to attend Tufts. Do the better facilities and curriculum justify paying that much more and being in debt twice as long? As a student who attends an expensive private school, I don't know why anyone would ever choose a 400k school when you have a much cheaper option that will help you achieve the exact same goal. If you have tons of money and tuition isn't a problem, then you can pretty much choose to go wherever you please. However, don't shoot yourself in the foot by taking on 200k+ more in loans plus interest because you'll get to play with nice equipment during your 3rd and 4th year. It's simply not worth it.

go to SIU. I am a big fan of Tufts, but it's just too much for you to pay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Way too much. pick cheaper option

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

I was accepted to Tufts today, however I've been accepted to SIU and MWU-IL. I really liked the facilities, curriculum, and city of Boston however I'm worried about the ~400K+ debt I would graduate with if I attended Tufts. I can attend SIU at a cost of ~220K. Its a great school, but I wasn't the biggest fan of the location (Alton, IL).

has anyone else chosen Tufts over their respective state schools? and why? :shrug:

I had a friend pick Tufts over UIC a few years ago. I think the difference was closer to 150k at the time but he just felt more comfortable there, liked the environment, the professors, etc.

With interest and everything, it's going to cost you 200k more to attend Tufts. Do the better facilities and curriculum justify paying that much more and being in debt twice as long? As a student who attends an expensive private school, I don't know why anyone would ever choose a 400k school when you have a much cheaper option that will help you achieve the exact same goal. If you have tons of money and tuition isn't a problem, then you can pretty much choose to go wherever you please. However, don't shoot yourself in the foot by taking on 200k+ more in loans plus interest because you'll get to play with nice equipment during your 3rd and 4th year. It's simply not worth it.

I'll be taking out loans for 100% of the education costs. It seems that every older person I speak to advises me to go the cheaper school, while lots of younger students tend to say go to the school where you will be the most comfortable/happy.

Interesting discrepancy :eyebrow:

I'll be taking out loans for 100% of the education costs. It seems that every older person I speak to advises me to go the cheaper school, while lots of younger students tend to say go to the school where you will be the most comfortable/happy.

Interesting discrepancy :eyebrow:

younger people are idiots that believe that money grows on trees! Cheaper school all the way. You can use that money to buy a house, invest in a practice or get married! Be smart. Would you pay more for gas at one gas station vs. the other? if you said no, then dont be a fool and overpay for the same level of education. :thumbup:

i couldn't agree more! at the end of the day a dental school is a dental school is a dental school! the only difference is PRICE! everything else is super secondary and not as important in teh real world. specialization rates, strucutre of school, location etc. I would ALWAYS go with the cheaper one! good luck!

younger people are idiots that believe that money grows on trees! Cheaper school all the way. You can use that money to buy a house, invest in a practice or get married! Be smart. Would you pay more for gas at one gas station vs. the other? if you said no, then dont be a fool and overpay for the same level of education. :thumbup:

This assumes, of course, that all dental schools provide the same level of education. I do not believe this is the case. The issue is whether or not this difference is worth the difference in price. One of the current Tufts dental students I spoke with at my Tufts interview was from Illinois, attended Northwestern, and picked Tufts over UIC and others. She did not explain why she made that decision, and I didn't press her on it because UIC was not a school where I had applied. I just wanted to reference the decision of someone that had been in your position. I bet there are others that chose SIU over Tufts, though, as 200k is a lot of money. I chose Tufts over a cheaper school, but I will admit that it was not 200k cheaper. I do not know much about SIU, so perhaps they have a great program over there. Best of luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Thinking in the long term I'm really leaning towards my state school. I really loved the basically everything about Tufts minus the price. But in the long run, price is biggest factor that stays with you after you graduate.

I ran the numbers, including living expenses SIU is ~155K cheaper! :wow:

Do you want to specialize? That is a potential problem with SIU that led me to pick UIC over it. But still, the price difference between SIU and Tufts/MWU is ludicrous. We aren't talkng 60, or even 80K. It's almost 200K more, and it will exceed that mark after interest on loans.

Is that really something that you want to burden yourself with? Also, I assume you're an IL resident, and you have an opportunity to be much closer to home. I say go with Southern. It's a good clinical school, and it was really hard for me to say no to that price tag for even our other in-state school. I don't think I would have given Tufts a thought. No matter how much better the facilities are, you're talking spending double to be in Boston for the next four years. You'll come out with the same degree either way, and the money will you save will go a long way towards a private practice mortgage/house mortgage/wedding/etc.

But, don't listen to people on message boards. I know that it's easy to want to lean on others as a crutch when making such a hard decision, but you have to do what you know is right for yourself.

Thanks for the insight everyone :)

it puts it into perspective when you realize what you could put the saved money towards :thumbup:

This assumes, of course, that all dental schools provide the same level of education. I do not believe this is the case. The issue is whether or not this difference is worth the difference in price. One of the current Tufts dental students I spoke with at my Tufts interview was from Illinois, attended Northwestern, and picked Tufts over UIC and others. She did not explain why she made that decision, and I didn't press her on it because UIC was not a school where I had applied. I just wanted to reference the decision of someone that had been in your position. I bet there are others that chose SIU over Tufts, though, as 200k is a lot of money. I chose Tufts over a cheaper school, but I will admit that it was not 200k cheaper. I do not know much about SIU, so perhaps they have a great program over there. Best of luck with your decision.

I wouldnt overpay 200K for a school if I had that money to begin with. As they say "a fool pays twice" its ultimately the same level of education, there is no inherently huge differences between Tufts and UIC and SIU except the price tag and the fool who's willing to overpay.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt overpay 200K for a school if I had that money to begin with. As they say "a fool pays twice" its ultimately the same level of education, there is no inherently huge differences between Tufts and UIC and SIU except the price tag and the fool who's willing to overpay.

I'm sorry, where do you go to dental school? I'm assuming that since you are able to establish that all schools provide the same level of education, then you must have seen many different schools, looked at their facilities, spoken with their students, and met with their faculty:rolleyes:. When did you interview at all three of these to give that opinion that all three are equivalent in education and there are no huge differences? I didn't say he should definitely pick Tufts, as 155k is a lot of money, but paying more for a better product isn't foolish. I admitted that I had not applied to UIC, nor did I apply to SIU either, so maybe they are great programs. But to just simply go into every situation, "Hmm, well Alabama is cheaper than Harvard. I mean, I'm hoping to specialize, but Wired202808 said all dental schools provide the same education, just like gas at different gas stations:eek:. I'll save some money and not consider all of the better everything I saw while on my interview at Harvard.":laugh: Relax Alabama people, I was just putting in a state school, and you were the school next to Harvard on the interview offers list on predents. I'm sure there are a lot of great things about your school.:thumbup:

So far, the only thing you've seemed to have done is waste people's time on SDN for the better part of a decade. I have been fine with you giving your opinions, but to call someone a fool for spending more is outrageous. Sorry, some dental schools provide better training, have better facilities, and better faculty than others, which is why it's far from foolish to pay more to attend. Just because you probably chose to go to the cheaper school, it doesn't mean you should be calling everyone a fool that's decided to not do the same. I've seen people in other threads say you are constantly wrong with your opinions and that everyone should just ignore you. Honestly, the only person that appears to be a fool is the person that would listen to your "advice."

Wired, it gets irritating to sift through your BS.

I'm sorry, where do you go to dental school? I'm assuming that since you are able to establish that all schools provide the same level of education, then you must have seen many different schools, looked at their facilities, spoken with their students, and met with their faculty:rolleyes:. When did you interview at all three of these to give that opinion that all three are equivalent in education and there are no huge differences? I didn't say he should definitely pick Tufts, as 155k is a lot of money, but paying more for a better product isn't foolish. I admitted that I had not applied to UIC, nor did I apply to SIU either, so maybe they are great programs. But to just simply go into every situation, "Hmm, well Alabama is cheaper than Harvard. I mean, I'm hoping to specialize, but Wired202808 said all dental schools provide the same education, just like gas at different gas stations:eek:. I'll save some money and not consider all of the better everything I saw while on my interview at Harvard.":laugh: Relax Alabama people, I was just putting in a state school, and you were the school next to Harvard on the interview offers list on predents. I'm sure there are a lot of great things about your school.:thumbup:

So far, the only thing you've seemed to have done is waste people's time on SDN for the better part of a decade. I have been fine with you giving your opinions, but to call someone a fool for spending more is outrageous. Sorry, some dental schools provide better training, have better facilities, and better faculty than others, which is why it's far from foolish to pay more to attend. Just because you probably chose to go to the cheaper school, it doesn't mean you should be calling everyone a fool that's decided to not do the same. I've seen people in other threads say you are constantly wrong with your opinions and that everyone should just ignore you. Honestly, the only person that appears to be a fool is the person that would listen to your "advice."

Yup we should all listen to you and overspend for the same education. I forgot that both schools give the same exact degree, license, and ability to practice. Overspending gives you zero advantage, but please do as you like! Its you're debt after all. A fool pays twice, your choice :)

I love the bolded statement which shows you basically know nothing but are telling the OP to go to Tufts anyway. I think he should listen to your advice because you clearly know better :) And to further elaborate on your statement that some schools are better than others, you're right but this is not one of those examples. Its not like BU vs. Tufts. And since you know nothing about the IL schools then perhaps you should pay twice.

I think the only one giving bad advice is someone like you since you clearly dont know squat about IL schools. Im not here to argue everyone should do as they like and overspend. At the end of the day you'll be the one crying when your monthly payment is double of what it was and you wish you would have listened to everyone else.

Last edited:
I think that Tufts is a better "gas station."

Agreed. It absolutely is, in my opinion. I can't stand when people say all schools are the same, simply because you ultimately receive the same degree.

Still though-- not worth the extra 200K. Absolutely not. Not even close.

Yup we should all listen to you and overspend for the same education. I forgot that both schools give the same exact degree, license, and ability to practice. Overspending gives you zero advantage, but please do as you like! Its you're debt after all. A fool pays twice, your choice :)

I love the bolded statement which shows you basically know nothing but are telling the OP to go to Tufts anyway. I think he should listen to your advice because you clearly know better :) And to further elaborate on your statement that some schools are better than others, you're right but this is not one of those examples. Its not like BU vs. Tufts. And since you know nothing about the IL schools then perhaps you should pay twice.

I think the only one giving bad advice is someone like you since you clearly dont know squat about IL schools. Im not here to argue everyone should do as they like and overspend. At the end of the day you'll be the one crying when your monthly payment is double of what it was and you wish you would have listened to everyone else.

That's not what he said at all. Your reading comprehension skills obviously leave a lot to be desired. You did not answer his question about where you go to dental school.

Where do you go to school and when did you interview at all of the IL dental schools and Tufts to know so much about all of them?

Wired, which gas station would you rather go to again?

f701559f.jpg

+

x2_87d98a5.jpg

OR

crochet-gas-station-1.jpg

+

110112094911_racetrac-fight.jpg

just sayin'

lol it's a joke, calm down! Both are good schools. Tufts is better IMO.

Last edited:
This is only my opinion but I want to go to the place where I feel MOST comfortable. Comfortable means knowing I'll be fully prepared clinically, having the best chance to pass whatever tests/boards are presented to me, and also a place I can call home for the next 4 years of my life (that means a place where I feel I fit in and a place where I will enjoy)

Obviously not everyone feels the same way. I have not interviewed at any of these places (will be interviewing at Tufts next week though) so I have no bias to any school. Nor am I telling you to select any school. Select the place where you feel you will enjoy.

Umm, loan money is not lottery money. Pick one of the state schools. Narrow it down to those two, and then pick based on "comfort" and "where you feel best". Those two terms should not apply to 150-200K of extra debt.

Unless there was something about your state school(s) that you hated, it's probably a better option to go with that just so you won't be in as much debt later on. That's the practical thing to do. However there are people who will go for the more expensive option for their own reasons (better city, a bigger name, liked the school more, etc.). So it's something to ask yourself: Are you ok with taking out more loans because you liked Tufts a lot and you think you'll have a better experience there or.. Are you ok with sticking with SIU where you'll save money but may not like the location as much?

EDIT:
OP it seems like you made up your mind. Good luck!

Who cares about location? You can have a coronary ANYWHERE when you see your loan interest accrue every month and capitalize when you're done with school.

Umm, loan money is not lottery money. Pick one of the state schools. Narrow it down to those two, and then pick based on "comfort" and "where you feel best". Those two terms should not apply to 150-200K of extra debt.

I don't have a problem with differing opinions. I believe that 155k is probably too much of a difference, and it sounds like the OP already has their mind made up. My issue with Wired202808 was that he was basically saying that anyone that didn't approach the decision his way was a fool, which is an inherently foolish position to take.

Dantemac, I am curious about your advice, though. If my memory serves me, you are a Pennsylvania resident and have decided to attend Penn, correct? Didn't you also get into a state school at Pittsburgh? I would assume that had to be a pretty drastic difference in cost. How can you tell someone else to ignore comfort and where you feel best for cost, when it seems like you ignored cost with your decision?

Also, in your next post you say, "Who cares about location?" It seems as though you care about location. You must believe one part, or location, of Philadelphia is significantly better than the other, as you have decided to attend Penn over a significantly cheaper Temple. Now, I'm not sure whether or not you were admitted to Temple, but I'm assuming that you were able to get accepted as an instate student. It just seems to suggest that maybe your location might have mattered in your decision.

As I have told you, I think Penn is a great school. For all I know, you got a full ride to Penn. I was just curious about your position, as it seems a little ‘do as I say not as I do'.

Last edited:
Hm, one thing you might want to consider is where you think you'll practice after dental school? Tufts has a very, very solid network of alums in the New England area. It's easier to get a job and patients love the school.

I have HPSP. Cost for me applies to cost of living only.

With today's economy go with the cheaper option. Tufts is a good school, but you can't overlook the price difference. 150k is a lot of money wait until you pay $2000 dollars montlhy for 30 years!
With the interest.

I don't have a problem with differing opinions. I believe that 155k is probably too much of a difference, and it sounds like the OP already has their mind made up. My issue with Wired202808 was that he was basically saying that anyone that didn't approach the decision his way was a fool, which is an inherently foolish position to take.

Dantemac, I am curious about your advice, though. If my memory serves me, you are a Pennsylvania resident and have decided to attend Penn, correct? Didn't you also get into a state school at Pittsburgh? I would assume that had to be a pretty drastic difference in cost. How can you tell someone else to ignore comfort and where you feel best for cost, when it seems like you ignored cost with your decision?

Also, in your next post you say, "Who cares about location?" It seems as though you care about location. You must believe one part, or location, of Philadelphia is significantly better than the other, as you have decided to attend Penn over a significantly cheaper Temple. Now, I'm not sure whether or not you were admitted to Temple, but I'm assuming that you were able to get accepted as an instate student. It just seems to suggest that maybe your location might have mattered in your decision.

As I have told you, I think Penn is a great school. For all I know, you got a full ride to Penn. I was just curious about your position, as it seems a little ‘do as I say not as I do'.

Anyone who will overpay 155K to go to the same type of school is a fool plain and simple. And fools pay twice :) So you can go any accrue all those loans. They're both good schools, but Tufts is not worth another 155K. Plain and simple, stop being a fool and telling people to go to the school that you're so in love with. Just because you're going there and you're spending a buttload of $$$ doesnt mean someone should drop their state schools and run over to Boston to make you feel good.

To be totally honest... the only people who can say what an education is worth are actual dentists. Anyone who is a predent or even in dental school has never felt the burden that a lot of debt takes on your life. Not to mention the difference of 250K vs 400K... how can anyone even tell you what the extra 150K is worth when it comes to a dental education.

How can one school be quantified to be "x" amount of dollars better than another school? Everyone has different qualities they look for in a school... but to be honest, i really can't understand how any dental education is 100K better than another?! As with most things in life... it is what you make of it.

IMO, the only people who have actually felt the burden of school debt are current dentists... not predents, not dental students.... and the dentists say go to the cheapest school. Anyone that says "go where you will be happy" or "go where you will love" cannot honestly say that with any degree of confidence, simply because they have not personally experienced what a toll that extra debt will take on your life.

However, finances are often very predictable of future success, as well as future happiness. Good luck with your decision, but you should definitely save the extra 200K. Your future home, spouse, children and practice will thank you for not burdening them with more debt. Less debt = more opportunities.

EDIT: For the record.... i agree with Wired. No school is worth 200K more than another school and anyone who says other wise has no concept of debt and money management. Sure do it for "love", "location", or a Ivy name on your diploma... but it is still financially irresponsible.

Last edited:
To be totally honest... the only people who can say what an education is worth are actual dentists. Anyone who is a predent or even in dental school has never felt the burden that a lot of debt takes on your life. Not to mention the difference of 250K vs 400K... how can anyone even tell you what the extra 150K is worth when it comes to a dental education.

How can one school be quantified to be "x" amount of dollars better than another school? Everyone has different qualities they look for in a school... but to be honest, i really can't understand how any dental education is 100K better than another?! As with most things in life... it is what you make of it.

IMO, the only people who have actually felt the burden of school debt are current dentists... not predents, not dental students.... and the dentists say go to the cheapest school. Anyone that says "go where you will be happy" or "go where you will love" cannot honestly say that with any degree of confidence, simply because they have not personally experienced what a toll that extra debt will take on your life.

However, finances are often very predictable of future success, as well as future happiness. Good luck with your decision, but you should definitely save the extra 200K. Your future home, spouse, children and practice will thank you for not burdening them with more debt. Less debt = more opportunities.

EDIT: For the record.... i agree with Wired. No school is worth 200K more than another school and anyone who says other wise has no concept of debt and money management. Sure do it for "love", "location", or a Ivy name on your diploma... but it is still financially irresponsible.

thank you good sir :thumbup:

Anyone who will overpay 155K to go to the same type of school is a fool plain and simple. And fools pay twice :) So you can go any accrue all those loans. They're both good schools, but Tufts is not worth another 155K. Plain and simple, stop being a fool and telling people to go to the school that you're so in love with. Just because you're going there and you're spending a buttload of $$$ doesnt mean someone should drop their state schools and run over to Boston to make you feel good.

:laugh: You obviously have serious troubles with reading comprehension. That's not what I said at all. I'm going to take the advice of the people in the other threads and just ignore your nonsense.

Last edited:
Why so much hate?
There are people who want to go to a pricier school for their own reasons. You're not paying their loans back, leave it. There are people who want to stay in state and would choose in state over big names. That's not going to affect you either, so leave it. Offering opinions from personal experience is fine, but this back and forth bickering.....

http://xkcd.com/386/

I agree with Wired and UltimateHombre. However, I must also add that I'm young and it is very difficult for me to over-look the facilities, location, etc. My heart tries to justify the cost so I can go where I think I will be happier. However, my brain tells me to go to the cheapest school because ultimately you all become dentists. It is also true in my experience that all the dentists I've talked to tell me to go to the cheapest school and a lot of pre-dents think otherwise.

What I've learned is while growing up, I always defied my parents (or elders) and they would always say that when I grew up I would know they are right. And what a surprise, I realize they were right after I experienced it lol. So, I'm going to break the cycle by listening to them old folks for once :p.

The cycle is this. Your elders tell you their life lessons that they learned through their life experiences. You, the kid, don't believe them and make the same mistakes they do. You vow to not let your kids make the same mistakes. You tell your kids and they don't believe you haha. And so the cycle continues.

Additionally, what a lot of older people will tell you is money is not easy to come by. If you're making 90-100k starting out, you will find it hard to pay off a 200-300K loan. Now imagine a 400k loan lol. Don't forget that your 90-100K salary has to pay for your wedding, family, house, car, presents for holidays, food, insurance, etc. Also, that same salary has to pay for unexpected life events. Don't forget recessions either.

Remember a very important fact that dentists you see today paid tuition that was a lot cheaper than it was now. Who knows what our future as dentists may be now.

I agree with Wired and UltimateHombre. However, I must also add that I'm young and it is very difficult for me to over-look the facilities, location, etc. My heart tries to justify the cost so I can go where I think I will be happier. However, my brain tells me to go to the cheapest school because ultimately you all become dentists. It is also true in my experience that all the dentists I've talked to tell me to go to the cheapest school and a lot of pre-dents think otherwise.

What I've learned is while growing up, I always defied my parents (or elders) and they would always say that when I grew up I would know they are right. And what a surprise, I realize they were right after I experienced it lol. So, I'm going to break the cycle by listening to them old folks for once :p.

The cycle is this. Your elders tell you their life lessons that they learned through their life experiences. You, the kid, don't believe them and make the same mistakes they do. You vow to not let your kids make the same mistakes. You tell your kids and they don't believe you haha. And so the cycle continues.

Additionally, what a lot of older people will tell you is money is not easy to come by. If you're making 90-100k starting out, you will find it hard to pay off a 200-300K loan. Now imagine a 400k loan lol. Don't forget that your 90-100K salary has to pay for your wedding, family, house, car, presents for holidays, food, insurance, etc. Also, that same salary has to pay for unexpected life events. Don't forget recessions either.

Remember a very important fact that dentists you see today paid tuition that was a lot cheaper than it was now. Who knows what our future as dentists may be now.

+1 well put.

:laugh: You obviously have serious troubles with reading comprehension. That's not what I said at all. I'm going to take the advice of the people in the other threads and just ignore your nonsense.

go read a book you fool. im tired of your bs and I will stop responding to your annoying comments. Go to Tufts and overspend for the same diploma. the end.

go read a book you fool. im tired of your bs and I will stop responding to your annoying comments. Go to Tufts and overspend for the same diploma. the end.

There are other opinions than your own. Your tact is indicative of the type of person you are.

I would probably be happier at Tufts to be honest, but 4 years of happiness could turn into a lifetime of financial struggle.

Versus spending 4 years in a less desirable environment, but getting a dental education. Period. Then spending the rest of your life in a much more comfortable state.

Its easy to throw huge numbers around and justify the costs at a young age. The fact of the matter is that most of us cannot even fathom hundreds of thousands of dollars. My entire life I don't think I have ever had more than $5-10K in my possession at one time from working jobs in high school and undergrad, so its virtually impossible to even comprehend the amount of debt we are taking on. This is most likely the case for most traditional predents, who haven't had experience managing larger sums of money.

We don't know how our future selves will react to the debt, the only thing we can do now is to actually consider your future self, and make a smart decision.

I would probably be happier at Tufts to be honest, but 4 years of happiness could turn into a lifetime of financial struggle.

Versus spending 4 years in a less desirable environment, but getting a dental education. Period. Then spending the rest of your life in a much more comfortable state.

Its easy to throw huge numbers around and justify the costs at a young age. The fact of the matter is that most of us cannot even fathom hundreds of thousands of dollars. My entire life I don't think I have ever had more than $5-10K in my possession at one time from working jobs in high school and undergrad, so its virtually impossible to even comprehend the amount of debt we are taking on. This is most likely the case for most traditional predents, who haven't had experience managing larger sums of money.

We don't know how our future selves will react to the debt, the only thing we can do now is to actually consider your future self, and make a smart decision.

it seems to me you have made your decision. and i commend you on it. I agree its hard to be drawn into the allure of a school etc, but utltimately what will stay with you the rest of your life is the financial debt you are a left with. Best of luck to you!

Do you have money to support Tufts? Then, go to Tufts.
If not, go to your state school.

I personally like Tufts because I sincerely thought about attending there, but it's not the best school for you to choose over your state school.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide :)

I like that ...cycle ..and all. Sooooo true

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk