TUFTS+Where to Live

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElCubanito

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting at Tufts this September and Im having trouble finding a place to live. I want somewhere close to the school so I can walk there. I hear that there is a building near the Medical school (Not the Dorms) where a lot of students stay. Does anybody know where? :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

ElCubanito said:
I will be starting at Tufts this September and Im having trouble finding a place to live. I want somewhere close to the school so I can walk there. I hear that there is a building near the Medical school (Not the Dorms) where a lot of students stay. Does anybody know where? :thumbup:

I am in the same situation as u. I am also looking for a place to live in Boston. I am thinking of living in a dorm during my freshman year. But, I don't know yet...

Me too, I need a place. Hopefully close to school also.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also looking for a place to live in boston. I'm considering the dorms since they are so close to the school. Anyone have any advice for housing for first years?

Though I did not go to tufts, I lived in Boston last year while doing a Masters program at BU Med school.

I found a great place through craigslist in the Back Bay area. It is a great place and within walking distance to a Newberry st., great bars, restaurants, etc. And it's really close to Tufs.

Keep in mind Boston is a small city and has great transportation. the T can take you around the city. I ended up getting a bike and it took me about 5 minutes to bike to the South End where BU Med school is.

Also keep in mind that it's going to be pricey, a 1K/month if you get a roommate and more if you want a 1bedroom place all to your self.

good luck house hunting.

I'm a current 1st year at Tufts, and I live in the Posner Hall dorm. It's very convenient, if you can handle community living. It's really nice to just walk across the street to school when the temperature is super cold in the morning. But I'm definitely getting out of the dorms next year, just to get some of my own personal space.

There's an apartment complex right next to the school called the Metropolitan. Lots of students live there, and it's the same distance as the dorm. It's pricey though, but plenty of people try to live there. I'm personally searching for apartments farther away, but still in the city.

dentdent said:
I am also looking for a place to live in boston. I'm considering the dorms since they are so close to the school. Anyone have any advice for housing for first years?

Having been going to tufts for about 2 years now, I can tell you that at first you would want to live near the school, but after a while, you get sick of the area. Chinatown isnt the greatest neighborhood. Back bay or south end are great locations, anywhere farther would be an inconvenience when you commute. Visit the areas first before you decide on a place to live.

_________
Tufts 08

anyone know if we can get $415 back if later we decide not to live in the dorm (before the school begin) or if i decide to go to another school?

I got the dorm contract, but I didn't send it back. I think I would rather live in an apartment or something. As far as I know, dorms are always nasty and noisy for the most part.

Hey.. how about we all get together and rent an apartment and split the cost???

I actually got in touch with someone in housing at Tufts.
She provided me with some helpful information.

According to her, apartments in Back Bay, Beacon Hill and the Northend are closer to the school, but are more expensive and less space than you would find in Allston, Brighton, Brookline, Quincy, Malden or Cambridge, where you have a longer commuting time but probably will have larger apartment for less money.
There are areas of the South End that are really nice but you also want to be sure to see the apartment since there are also areas to be wary of (though a realtor should be able to help you with those questions).
She recommended staying away from Dorchester, Roxbury and Jamaica Plain. These towns have some nicer areas but also some very
bad ones.
She also did not recommend the immediate area of Chinatown near the
school-it has gotten much better but still is not a great area to walk
alone at night.

Thought I'd share this info.....

Hopin' said:
She recommended staying away from Dorchester, Roxbury and Jamaica Plain.

they call it Diechester for a reason! you constantly hear or read about a shooting/stabbing, etc. in Dorchester/Roxbury.

my suggestion is Back Bay! I loved it there.

Hopin' said:
I actually got in touch with someone in housing at Tufts.
She provided me with some helpful information.

According to her, apartments in Back Bay, Beacon Hill and the Northend are closer to the school, but are more expensive and less space than you would find in Allston, Brighton, Brookline, Quincy, Malden or Cambridge, where you have a longer commuting time but probably will have larger apartment for less money.
There are areas of the South End that are really nice but you also want to be sure to see the apartment since there are also areas to be wary of (though a realtor should be able to help you with those questions).
She recommended staying away from Dorchester, Roxbury and Jamaica Plain. These towns have some nicer areas but also some very
bad ones.
She also did not recommend the immediate area of Chinatown near the
school-it has gotten much better but still is not a great area to walk
alone at night.

Thought I'd share this info.....

I grew up in Boston... so I know it pretty well. Spent 22 of my 25 years there. You hit the nail on the head with that last post. For the cheaper (and bigger) places to live, I would definitely suggest Brookline, like the area around Beacon St. (Coolidge Corner or east, if you are worried about commuting time), or in and around Brookline Village (both are very T accessible). Have fun in Boston... it is a cool city. I miss it.

I have been living near the Tufts Dental School for the last 9 years. If I were a student, I would prefer to stay close to campus. Prices are really high but what most people do is share. In my building for example, two people share a one bedroom (one takes the living area and the other the bedroom). Many of the Tufts medical and dental students prefer to stay close to campus. Personally I prefer walking to taking public transportation. Look for downtown boston, beacon hill, back bay. All close to the school. You can find good deals on Beacon Hill but some of them are really small and do not include heat (boston winters can get really cold so you don't want to pay out of pocket).

The dental school area is near Chinatown (actually border). Yes, it can be unsafe but I haven't had problems all the years I've been here. There are a few unsafe blocks and its easy to avoid them. Just two blocks from the school is the Theater District. There are many clubs, restaurants, theaters so its a happening place. There are lots of under cover cops, campus police, and boston police in the area. I have never felt the area to be unsafe. I have walked alone in the middle of the night with no problems. There are many schools in the area (5 or 6) so you will see a lot of students.

Some highrise buildings around the area you might want to consider:
* Parkside Apartments (3 blocks from school)
* Tremont on the Common (3 blocks from school)
* 62 Bolyston Street Condon (Two blocks from the dental school. A lot of undergraduate sudents live in this building. It can get noisy at times)
* Devonshire Apartments (6-7 blocks from school)
* Charles River Park (10-15 minute walk)
* Hawthorne Place (10-15 minute walk)

Also, Robert Mace (Boston Common Properties at (617) 482-2111) is a really nice realtor just in case you want to go through him. He has been working in the area for many years. He helped us find our current apartment.

Sorry for writing so much. I know its hard to find a place when you are not familiar with the area. Make sure to visit the place you will be renting before you sign the contract to make sure you like it. If you can afford to buy a place then do so because the rent keeps rising in the city. It will be a good investment.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys I've been looking forever for the "right" place and have finally found an awesome one through this great realtor. Just thought I'd share the info in case you guys are still looking:

I worked with Mike Remington at Hillside Realty: 617-445-2245 ex 13, www.BostonHillsideRealty.com.

Most of his stuff was half fee and really nice, a lot in the South End.

Also, if you're willing to cough up a full fee, John at Greater Boston Properties had THE best apartments out there. I just can't afford the whole fee.

Happy hunting!

Looks like its Posner Hall for me. I recieved their confimation letter last week. Looking foward to it.

ElCubanito said:

Congratulations on your acceptance to tufts. I will be attending tufts aswell in sept. I recently got an apt at the Metropolitan which is on one nassau street. It is literally walking distance from tufts very convenient. good luck in finding an apt. see you during orientation :)

tuftsdent said:
Congratulations on your acceptance to tufts. I will be attending tufts aswell in sept. I recently got an apt at the Metropolitan which is on one nassau street. It is literally walking distance from tufts very convenient. But it is somewhat pricey...but you have to consider that everything in boston is expensive and unless you want to live in the dorms but they are somewhat ****ty. good luck in finding an apt. see you during orientation :)

Do you happen to know how much it costs for a 1bedroom/studio there?

Is anyone looking for a roommate to live with near Tufts. I am looking for someone that wants to split a 2 bedroom place within walking distance from the school (maybe the metropolitan). I just dont feel like taking the T everyday twice a day. Otherwise does anyone know how to contact the housing coordinator? thanks

3pointer said:
Is anyone looking for a roommate to live with near Tufts. I am looking for someone that wants to split a 2 bedroom place within walking distance from the school (maybe the metropolitan). I just dont feel like taking the T everyday twice a day. Otherwise does anyone know how to contact the housing coordinator? thanks
I'm looking for a roomate/place to stay. I've been looking at different places for deals, but they're either a little far or too crappy. So with all my hesitations, i will consider the Met. Keep in touch.

Are you from the boston area. I have visited twice but will not be back out east until orientation, so I will have to find a place over the internet or through the housing coordinator. I guess he starts next week.

3pointer said:
Are you from the boston area. I have visited twice but will not be back out east until orientation, so I will have to find a place over the internet or through the housing coordinator. I guess he starts next week.
I'm in the DC area. Also looking online for a place, but will go up to see it and sign the lease etc... prior to orientation. I'll also call up the coordinator. Hopefully he'll be helpfull. If not, we can sort of split the search. Is the Metropolitan within your budget? I think its a little over 2K for a 2 bedroom. Where are you moving from and how early are you planning to get to Boston?

I am from wisconsin. I will be moving out a week or so before orientation, near the end of august. I am borrowing for everything so yeah it seems withing the budget if it is only 1k per person. I would prefer to be that close, plus they looked nice. If anything is cheaper then that would be even better. Plus they have parking for free and I am considering bringing a car for weekend excursions. not sure yet.

3pointer said:
I am from wisconsin. I will be moving out a week or so before orientation, near the end of august. I am borrowing for everything so yeah it seems withing the budget if it is only 1k per person. I would prefer to be that close, plus they looked nice. If anything is cheaper then that would be even better. Plus they have parking for free and I am considering bringing a car for weekend excursions. not sure yet.

I've been living in Madison, Wisconsin for the past 4 years. Where in Wisconsin are u from?

originally from northern wisconsin but I live and work in milwaukee now.

tuftsdent said:
Congratulations on your acceptance to tufts. I will be attending tufts aswell in sept. I recently got an apt at the Metropolitan which is on one nassau street. It is literally walking distance from tufts very convenient. good luck in finding an apt. see you during orientation :)

I looked into it but the whooping price of $1600 (without utilities) for a 1&1 made me kind of nervous :eek: . I much rather go into the dorms cause its less than $800 with all things included. Dont mind sharing a bathroom.

3pointer said:

Parking is not really "free". You will be paying for it in your rent.

HI! Congrats on your acceptances! We are two dental students looking for a roommate, the apartment is within walking distance of Tufts Dental. If you are interested or want more info email us at: [email protected]

? Isn't this post from 2006?

I am going to Tufts School of Medicine for a job in 2 weeks. Would like to find a place to stay temporarily (a few weeks to a few months, depends) until I find something for long term.

Thanks!

[email protected]

In the downtown area the cheapest would be about 1k. From there, it can go up to the mid thousands.

What building has one for 1k? I keep finding ones at atleast 1500+

Thanks!

Whoa ... thats some serious money. Reo are you not considering the dorms?

Whoa ... thats some serious money. Reo are you not considering the dorms?
I lived in the dorms once, and would enjoy having an off campus place. You shooting for the dorms, eldirty?

What building has one for 1k? I keep finding ones at atleast 1500+

Thanks!

Check Craigslist for a few places in Chinatown. You can get some ok units for about a grand. I happened onto a unit in one of the better buildings. Vacancies are RARE at this price.

I lived in the dorms once, and would enjoy having an off campus place. You shooting for the dorms, eldirty?

reo, i thought you were nova bound.......
i assume going to tufts now? in any case, congrats

reo, i thought you were nova bound.......
i assume going to tufts now? in any case, congrats
At the moment, my brain feels like a particle in a 3 dimensional box. :scared:

At this point yes I am hoping for a spot in the dorms. However my life decisions could dramatically change if I hear good news back about the Navy scholarship.

At this point yes I am hoping for a spot in the dorms. However my life decisions could dramatically change if I hear good news back about the Navy scholarship.
As in getting an off campus-pad?

I wondered by condos near the bunker memorial... needless to say, they were amazing.

I think there is a better chance of this with a monthly stipend to back me up
I agree. Otherwise it's $1800/month unless they change for next year.

Tinman,
What's the farthest- with a reasonable commute- would one live? I was thinking possibly Fenway/Kenmore or Allston/Bringhton. . . Would a commute like this, on the green line, interupt the much needed study time?

Tinman,
What's the farthest- with a reasonable commute- would one live? I was thinking possibly Fenway/Kenmore or Allston/Bringhton. . . Would a commute like this, on the green line, interupt the much needed study time?

Those places are probably about a 15 minute commute by subway minus the walk to the stations. It's not too terribly bad but after a long day at school, the last thing I would want to do is to walk to the subway station and walk home (especially if its cold or snowy). There are days when I've stayed at school past midnight and the trains don't run that late.

Tinman,

Depending on how far on the green line you live.....just a forewarning, the green line is painfully slow. Parts of it runs above ground and shares the road with cars and pedestrians. Therefore it has many stops, including traffic lights. The green line trains are much shorter consisting of maybe 4 cars, compared to the orange/red/blue lines which are more of your "traditional" long/many car trains. The orange/blue/red also run underground and are not subject to the same delays that the green line goes through. I guess you could study on the trains but in the morning they are packed and you will need to hold onto something so you do not bump into other people when the train moves.

What about the Red line? In the abouts of Savin Hill...? I came in on the Green line and it did take forever. It seemed like the Red and Orange were pretty efficient.

What time does the T close? And, does it get pretty sketchy at the end of the night? Also, does the T ever go down and one would have to walk/bike to school?

Hey Tinman,
I was wondering if there are safe places in Dorchester? Specifically, http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/1038218213.html The place looks nice, but there may be sketchy areas near? I've been reading up on "areas" to avoid near that Savin Hill T station. Also, I have found some good deals neal JFK/UMass...

Last edited:
What about the Red line? In the abouts of Savin Hill...? I came in on the Green line and it did take forever. It seemed like the Red and Orange were pretty efficient.

What time does the T close? And, does it get pretty sketchy at the end of the night? Also, does the T ever go down and one would have to walk/bike to school?

see mbta.com for the t schedules. The trains can be sketchy at night, the red line less so than the orange line in my opinion. My husband commutes on the red line daily into umass and I have to pick him up I would say twice a year because of a train going down. They provide buses if a train stops, but they usually take a long time to get everyone on one. It is a pretty rare occurence. Savin Hill has some nice, mostly Irish, areas. A lot of kids from umass are starting to live in dorchester, defnitely still has its bad parts.