TUFTS+Where to Live

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been living near the Tufts Dental School for the last 9 years. If I were a student, I would prefer to stay close to campus. Prices are really high but what most people do is share. In my building for example, two people share a one bedroom (one takes the living area and the other the bedroom). Many of the Tufts medical and dental students prefer to stay close to campus. Personally I prefer walking to taking public transportation. Look for downtown boston, beacon hill, back bay. All close to the school. You can find good deals on Beacon Hill but some of them are really small and do not include heat (boston winters can get really cold so you don't want to pay out of pocket).

The dental school area is near Chinatown (actually border). Yes, it can be unsafe but I haven't had problems all the years I've been here. There are a few unsafe blocks and its easy to avoid them. Just two blocks from the school is the Theater District. There are many clubs, restaurants, theaters so its a happening place. There are lots of under cover cops, campus police, and boston police in the area. I have never felt the area to be unsafe. I have walked alone in the middle of the night with no problems. There are many schools in the area (5 or 6) so you will see a lot of students.

Some highrise buildings around the area you might want to consider:
* Parkside Apartments (3 blocks from school)
* Tremont on the Common (3 blocks from school)
* 62 Bolyston Street Condon (Two blocks from the dental school. A lot of undergraduate sudents live in this building. It can get noisy at times)
* Devonshire Apartments (6-7 blocks from school)
* Charles River Park (10-15 minute walk)
* Hawthorne Place (10-15 minute walk)

Also, Robert Mace (Boston Common Properties at (617) 482-2111) is a really nice realtor just in case you want to go through him. He has been working in the area for many years. He helped us find our current apartment.

Sorry for writing so much. I know its hard to find a place when you are not familiar with the area. Make sure to visit the place you will be renting before you sign the contract to make sure you like it. If you can afford to buy a place then do so because the rent keeps rising in the city. It will be a good investment.

Hope this helps.

I hope this is an old thread but I hope someone else can answer my questions.
I am not familiar w/ Boston at all. I am attending Tufts in the fall and would love to rent an apartment near Tufts so I will not have to commute by subway. I know the rents are expensive near Tufts and that's why I am trying to look for one w/ a reasonable price. Can anyone tell me if all the streets/areas/buildings that VitaminA referred to are a walking distance from Tufts? No transportations needed right?
Someone who knows the Boston areas well please help me with this. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

What's the building across the street?

Also, we should create a list of the places that someone has considered... they moved in, junky, etc.

i have an apt 1 block away from tufts dental which will be available mid-to-end of june. its a 1-1 about 700 sq ft. it's located at 660 washington street. luxury building (concierge, indoor pool, full gym, game room, computer cafe, study areas etc). the price is at the upper end of the 1 bedroom rent spectrum so it is more suited for a couple or people ok with sharing a bedroom.

please PM me if you are interested or have more questions. i can send you pictures and answer any questions.