tuition question about SCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was wondering if you could help me out with a question I had. At SCO, do you have to pay your full semester tuition at the time of registration, or can you pay the tuition in installments? And one more thing, are all need-based financial aid dependent on your parent's income? My dad makes enough money so I'm not a typical "need-based" applicant, but it costs alot to pay for optometry school and I really wanted to find ways to get money for it on my own (without private loans). Thanks everyone... I appreciate your help. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

It must be paid for in full at the beginning of the semester... if you're still dependent on your parents (they still claim you on their taxes, etc.) then I THINK you have to put their income on your FAFSA. If you look on the FAFSA website it'll have more info about it. I work in financial aid, the ladies that work there are super nice and they'd love to help you out!! Give them a call Monday when they open back up. :)

All grad students are considered independent of their parents. I think it only matters for the Health professions loan if you put your parents on your FAFSA. For Stafford, your parents income doesn't matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your responses guys. But why doesn't SCO let you pay the tuition in installments like undergraduate does? It seems like a lot of money to just pay out of pocket and up front all at once. Thanks!

PCO doesn't either. If you are taking out loans, they just subtract what you owe them for tuition and fees and give you the rest. I don't know how it would be beneficial to spread each semester out into 4 or so payments unless you are planning on making several thousand dollars a month while you are in school. If you need to know why, call them and ask. :)

So then is it the full year's tuition or just half of it (the semester tuition) that I pay at registration?

So then is it the full year's tuition or just half of it (the semester tuition) that I pay at registration?

The semester's. Grad school isn't like undergrad where there are a good amount of students paying with cash (parents) or people who can actually afford to pay for it without loans. The vast majority of students take out loans for grad school. The school just takes out however much they need for tuition and equipment, etc. and then the rest is put in your bank account.

You're right Sarah, all grad students are considered independent.. forgot about that!