Tuition question at University of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bipster10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next year, I will be attending my first year at the University of Maryland dental school. Today, I was able to sign onto the surfs program to view my financial aid. According to the website, I will be taking out over 98k for my first year. When I first read this I was surprised. I was just wondering if this was the actual cost for an out of state student. Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It is what the fin aid office estimated. You can certainly take out less if you're frugal, but most of my friends are running on E by the end of each semester (going out,etc).

To give you an idea of how much COA has risen. It was $74k when I started 4 years ago. I was able to get in state tuition after 2 years and strongly urge you to do the same.

Was it relatively easy to change to in-state status by following the guidelines they post on their website (changing your drivers license, car registration, voter registration, etc.)? I am really counting on getting in-state status by the second year because it makes such a huge difference.

Another question - is the ~$3,500 budgeted in the cost of attendance accurate? Do students typically buy all their books and spend that much per year? Thanks in advance for your input!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Was it relatively easy to change to in-state status by following the guidelines they post on their website (changing your drivers license, car registration, voter registration, etc.)? I am really counting on getting in-state status by the second year because it makes such a huge difference.

Another question - is the ~$3,500 budgeted in the cost of attendance accurate? Do students typically buy all their books and spend that much per year? Thanks in advance for your input!

It's (relatively) easy to get in-state if you switched over all your docs to MD before school starts (license, registration), file taxes in MD, attend church in MD AND make a solid case of why you will be in MD post-graduation (fiance, wife, own home, etc). If you just get a MD license and registration, you will NOT get in-state tuition.

I don't know what you mean by the $3500. If you mean $3500 for books, then NO. There are really only a couple books I would recommend and they aren't even required to do well in the course, but are good references for your career (oral medicine, perio, radio).

Hup

Is there anyway you can send me a link of this, I can't seem to find it.

And thanks for your reply Hup! :thumbup:

I have a quick question regarding the residency issue for UMB dental school. I will pretty much qualify for all the requirements to be considered an resident of Maryland except the one about having a taxable income. Hup, do you know of any easy way to get around this requirement? How strict are they about it? They say that work study jobs won't qualify for this requirement and I don't really think I have time for anything outside of school. Thanks for your help!

Wow . . . I supported a family of 4, graduated recently, and never took out close to that amount, even when I had out-of-state tuition. Did Perryville jack up tuition or something?

It's (relatively) easy to get in-state if you switched over all your docs to MD before school starts (license, registration), file taxes in MD, attend church in MD AND make a solid case of why you will be in MD post-graduation (fiance, wife, own home, etc). If you just get a MD license and registration, you will NOT get in-state tuition.

I don't know what you mean by the $3500. If you mean $3500 for books, then NO. There are really only a couple books I would recommend and they aren't even required to do well in the course, but are good references for your career (oral medicine, perio, radio).

Hup
What happens if you make a case about staying in Maryland post-grad but then don't? Are they able to revoke your discount?

Considering I am in-state, will be living at home, and don't even have to pay for parking or the school health insurance and they have me at $73k, I'm not surprised that your amount is $98k. See you at orientation!

Considering I am in-state, will be living at home, and don't even have to pay for parking or the school health insurance and they have me at $73k, I'm not surprised that your amount is $98k. See you at orientation!
Hey, I am a resident of Maryland and planning on going to University of Maryland Dental School like you.
I really want to go there because i am in state and that school is AWESOME!
can you tell me some of your application status? like your DAT score, GPA,,,,if you dont mind? THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!