Tuition Reimbursement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Someday

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Everyone!
I am a nursing, pre-med student.
I will be a junior soon so I am thinking about getting tuition reimbursement from a hospital for the rest of two years of education.
Is there any pros and cons about this ? If you have committed to working for a hospital for tuition reimbursement or planning on doing this, could you share your opinion about this idea?
And also, it seems like there are many options like amounts of money that they offer or the period that you have to work for. Is there the best option to do this?
I am thinking the disadvantage of this kind of program is you won't be able to choose a hospital after graduation and stuck with the one which pays tuition for you. The advantage is you don't have to worry about paying tuition and all the expensive supplies for now. Is there anything else?

Also, as a nursing,pre-med student, I am looking at some of good hospitals where I can learn more and be a part of good health care environment. Do you guys have any suggestions on good hospital?
I think some of the hospitals that have well known reputation don't offer student tuition reimbursement that much or if they do they pay you while you work as a RN not during school year, for instance, John Hopkins Hospital. I am planning working about one or two years as a RN before a medical school. I am looking for a hospital where I can learn the most as a nurse and as a pre-med student also to get ready for the medical school. I want to be around all the good doctors and nurses to learn from them.

Thirdly, we, nursing pre-med students, usually take some break afterB.S.N. and before medical school. I am wondering when you got or get a letter of recommendation from someone, is it mostly from the professors whom you took for pre-med courses or from doctors whom you work with as a nurse? Or is it even possible or benefitial to submit a letter of rec. from doctors ?

This is all about decision making. I guess it is all individual's preference but I want to hear about other people's opinion to make a better decision. How do you guys think?
I hope to hear from all of you from nursing students who is walking this path to pre-med or medical student who have done this before....

Thank you so much for replying me....:)

Members don't see this ad.

Letting a hospital pay for your school certainly has it's advantages and disadvantages. If you want to work at one hospital in one department before med school, that's fine. If you don't or want some freedom to choose, then don't let them pay for it. You won't have to pay a dime back until you get out of residency if you go within a couple of years because you can defer then file for a foreberance on the payments. It depends on what you want.

I would work in the ER or ICU if I were you to get exposed to all kinds of pathology and see the way it all works. I learned a thousand times more from the ER than I did from RN school. I'm in NP school, and if I hadn't practiced a while as RN, it would be much more difficult.

Get letters from people you know will write you great ones no matter where they come from. Even better yet would be someone who will let you write your own and they'll sign it. That way you can make it look like your mom wrote it. Your old professors would be good to prove you can handle the rugged academics, and ones from docs would be good to show that you know what it means to be a doctor and still want to be one.

Thanks a lot for the reply.:clap:
How do you think about the OR?
I heard that med-surg is a good place for nurses to learn but not for pre-med students so I was thinking OR might be a good place. But like you said ER sounds like a good place to see the variety.
How is it different between ICU and Rehab?:)

Could you explain what you meat by this? Did you mean I don't have to pay the nursing school tuition if I go to the med school withing a couple of years?

"You won't have to pay a dime back until you get out of residency if you go within a couple of years because you can defer then file for a foreberance on the payments."

Thanks a lot again.