Tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amanmann

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a Canadian Student but I forsee problems paying on the verge of $300 K on dental school. I've heard some things about alien cards from some people can anyone fill me in on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Im not sure about Amans question, but it seems kind of relevent in this forum.

I wanted to assume American Resident Status after living in the US for a year. I've heard of this being done before. Is it possible?? do you have to show that youve been living there for a year?? Is it only applicable to the state where you live, or all the states??

Thanks

VancouverDoc2b said:
Im not sure about Amans question, but it seems kind of relevent in this forum.

I wanted to assume American Resident Status after living in the US for a year. I've heard of this being done before. Is it possible?? do you have to show that youve been living there for a year?? Is it only applicable to the state where you live, or all the states??

Thanks

huh?? where did you hear this? No way, otherwise everyone would do that....getting a resident visa is almost impossible, especially during these times...the only reason I got it is because my father is a highly skilled computer programmer and 10 years ago, a US company wanted him to work for them so bad that they sponsored him for residency....since I was under 21 at the time, I was able to get it automatically......unless you got some serious governent connections, you'll probably never obtain US residency

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, Bad's situation is like a good friend of mine in Canada. An eletronic company really needs her dad to work in California, so they are willing to sponser him to become a US resident. She is 18, so she is automatically qualified for US resident status.

I think there's another possible way to obtain US residence statue. If you "really" want to save ur tutition, you should start looking for an American soul mate and marry her/him before attending US dental school :)

I would like to practice in State after graduation if possible. I am just wondering how hard it is to find a sponser for US resident status as a Canadian dentist??

Dr.BadVibes said:
huh?? where did you hear this? No way, otherwise everyone would do that....getting a resident visa is almost impossible, especially during these times...the only reason I got it is because my father is a highly skilled computer programmer and 10 years ago, a US company wanted him to work for them so bad that they sponsored him for residency....since I was under 21 at the time, I was able to get it automatically......unless you got some serious governent connections, you'll probably never obtain US residency

Dr.BadVibes is correct :thumbup:

I got mine the same way Dr.BadVibes did except my dad is not a computer programmer.
To change your status to "Permanent Resident" you have to live in the U.S.A for a set period of time during which they evaluate you (make sure you don't get into trouble or cause trouble :D ). This period will vary depending on your country of birth. I think the avg is 7-10 yrs. :)