Tuition ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titan305

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most schools offer in-state tuition after the first year? Most of the websites I have visited regarding the costs of attending add the price of being an out of state student for all four years. I figure after the first year I would become a resident and be able to pay the lower tuition. Is this correct?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

titan305 said:
Do most schools offer in-state tuition after the first year? Most of the websites I have visited regarding the costs of attending add the price of being an out of state student for all four years. I figure after the first year I would become a resident and be able to pay the lower tuition. Is this correct?

Thanks

I think it really depends on how easy it is to become a resident of the state. I know that UConn and Buffalo both make it easy to become one after the first year, but since they're the only state schools I applied to I don't know what the others are like.

And for UConn, snce it's the only public d-school in New England, they have 3 tuitions: Connecticut, New England resident, and non-NE.

I transferred to an out of state school when I did my BS , and I had to get a driver's license and live there for a year thats all. I understand all the states are different but wanted to make sure D school was the same type deal. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
titan305 said:
I transferred to an out of state school when I did my BS , and I had to get a driver's license and live there for a year thats all. I understand all the states are different but wanted to make sure D school was the same type deal. Thanks

It depends on the state, some it's nearly impossible to gain residency while in others it possible.

At Michigan, you are not allowed to reclassify. Thus, if you are an out-of-state student when admitted, you pay out-of-state tuition all 4 years. Michigan is one of the most strict with regards to reclassification.

ems5184 said:
At Michigan, you are not allowed to reclassify. Thus, if you are an out-of-state student when admitted, you pay out-of-state tuition all 4 years. Michigan is one of the most strict with regards to reclassification.

From my understanding it is same for INDIANA. At Michigan you will not become a resident no matter what. Even if you marry a Michigan resident you will still be out of state once you Admitted as an out of state.

Does anyone know how VA does their in state/out of state tuition? I will be going to VCU, and I definitely do not want to pay out of state all four years.

Mustt Mustt said:
From my understanding it is same for INDIANA. At Michigan you will not become a resident no matter what. Even if you marry a Michigan resident you will still be out of state once you Admitted as an out of state.

I think at most school you are what you are when you are admitted, if you're instate, you'll stay instate, and vice versa. Otherwise, everyone could easily get instate classification after the first year since they're going to be staying there for awhile anyways.

UNLV virtually everyone can get instate after year one, sometimes earlier :)

I plan to start calling all the schools and asking them what exactly is the process for the state, length of time involved, and if it is possible to become a resident. Except for the ones that the tuition are the same such as Arizona and some other schools. Perhaps some schools view it as a 4 year program and not just working towards a BS. Not sure, but its a big $$ difference.

Don't know if this will help you, but UCSF and UCLA allow you to re-classify as in-state after a year.