Tulane ACP 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone explain what the "ACP" program is? I can't find it on Tulane's website. Is it a masters program? What does ACP stand for? It's different from the masters degree program in Pharmacology. I see the other medically related masters programs on the website but I can't find what the ACP is. Does it have a different name?
I linked the website below. ACP (anatomy certificate leadership program) is a certificate program, no degree. You have to be waitlisted for a medical school in order to apply. You take anatomy and histo with the MS1s at Tulane and if you beat the med student anatomy average then you will be interviewed and for the most part you will be admitted to Tulane medical school although it isn't written in stone. If admitted you will be a TA

Structural & Cellular Biology-Anatomy Certification & Leadership Program | medicine

I am currently in the MS anatomy program where you take anatomy, histo, and neuroscience with the MS1s and other graduate classes as well but no guaranteed interview. Although I definitely put my name in the hat so we shall see!

I met only met one girl in the pharmacology program so if you have questions I can ask her for you. And I know one girl in the biochem program.

Members don't see this ad.

I linked the website below. ACP (anatomy certificate leadership program) is a certificate program, no degree. You have to be waitlisted for a medical school in order to apply. You take anatomy and histo with the MS1s at Tulane and if you beat the med student anatomy average then you will be interviewed and for the most part you will be admitted to Tulane medical school although it isn't written in stone. If admitted you will be a TA

Structural & Cellular Biology-Anatomy Certification & Leadership Program | medicine

I am currently in the MS anatomy program where you take anatomy, histo, and neuroscience with the MS1s and other graduate classes as well but no guaranteed interview. Although I definitely put my name in the hat so we shall see!

I met only met one girl in the pharmacology program so if you have questions I can ask her for you. And I know one girl in the biochem program.

How big is this year's class for your MS anatomy program?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if the WL has to be for the current cycle? I was waitlisted at x3 DO schools last cycle, currently sitting on 1 DO acceptance this cycle (no current WL's) and am interested in the program.

this link doesnt work!
where can i find information/application information on this program?

Sorry I can't post links because apparently you need to have 10 posts on SDN, but if you google "Tulane ACLP" it should be the first result. They updated the link at the end of last cycle to reflect the name change (anatomy certification & leadership program), even though most people still refer to it as acp anyway.

Anyone know if the WL has to be for the current cycle? I was waitlisted at x3 DO schools last cycle, currently sitting on 1 DO acceptance this cycle (no current WL's) and am interested in the program.
I am pretty sure you need an MD waitlist from the current cycle, but double check their website

Does anyone know what kind of stats you need to be competitive for this program? I understand that you need to have been waitlisted at a medical school for consideration but if that was the only qualifier, then more people would be admitted and since there are only 18 spots, I imagine this to be an extremely competitive program. I was waitlisted at my state medical school last cycle and am currently waiting to hear from the current cycle. Does anyone know when the next application period opens for this program? Thanks.

The first 3 months of med school you don't take any exams. You meet your classmates and teach them. You obtain jedi-like anatomy knowledge, first by realizing that you forgot most of anatomy but upon brushing up is a cake walk. All the material you thought was hard (brachial plexus, cranial nerves, hand muscles) is now easy. You work long hours in lab because every T1 will know your name and ask you to give a 1 hr session. You learn how to say no, eventually. You forget all of embryo, because that was a year ago and its super confusing, imo. You get to know your course director and lab directors, who maybe you thought were tough on you last year but turn out to be all about educating and love students. And faster than you can imagine, anatomy ends and you get hit in the face with integrated curriculum and real med school starts.

The first 3 months of med school you don't take any exams. You meet your classmates and teach them. You obtain jedi-like anatomy knowledge, first by realizing that you forgot most of anatomy but upon brushing up is a cake walk. All the material you thought was hard (brachial plexus, cranial nerves, hand muscles) is now easy. You work long hours in lab because every T1 will know your name and ask you to give a 1 hr session. You learn how to say no, eventually. You forget all of embryo, because that was a year ago and its super confusing, imo. You get to know your course director and lab directors, who maybe you thought were tough on you last year but turn out to be all about educating and love students. And faster than you can imagine, anatomy ends and you get hit in the face with integrated curriculum and real med school starts.
Thank you! This actually makes me excited to be applying. If I can’t go to medical school yet then I am ready to embrace becoming an anatomy wizard.

It seems like this program would require a gap year? How can you finish the program and apply at the same time?

It seems like this program would require a gap year? How can you finish the program and apply at the same time?

The timeline is a little different from other postbac/SMP programs. Because it requires the applicant to have been waitlisted from a medical school already, most people end up applying to the program the same cycle as the one they get waitlisted in. Also, once accepted to ACP, you are expected to then immediately re-apply the following application cycle for entry the very next year.

I'll give an example of my experience if that can clear things up:

Summer 2016 - Apply to medical school before my senior year of college
November 2016 - Get waitlisted at a US MD school
May 2017 - Not get off the waitlist/any other acceptances, apply to Tulane ACP
June 2017 - Get into ACP, immediately start working on a new AMCAS application for the upcoming cycle
August 2017 - Move to New Orleans, begin ACP, start gross anatomy
October 2017 - Beat the average in gross anatomy, start histology
March 2018 - Interview at Tulane School of Medicine
April 2018 - Get in
August 2018 - Matriculate as an MD student, class of 2022

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.
Also you're actually posting in the 2017-2018 thread! There's an updated 2018-2019 one here: Tulane ACLP 2018-2019 that might be able to answer some other things. Check back for a 2019-2020 thread in the spring, hopefully when our newest batch of ACP students have been accepted!

also yes can confirm am getting hit in the face