Tulane Masters of Anatomy/Tulane ACP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whomdat11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
So I am enrolled in the Tulane Masters of Anatomy program for this coming up year, but I have been hearing that it is almost identical to the ACP program (except for the fact of having to be on a Med School waitlist and the high success rate so far of the ACP, since the Masters is new). Basically, they said you take the same classes at the medical school and are run by the same department/people. The program coordinator told me that it intends to eventually be as successful as the ACP.

I was just wondering if anyone who has done the Tulane ACP has any advice about it? (How it's all set up, how the whole competing with Med students is, and any other comments/concerns)

There's not really too much information about the Masters program since it's only been around for one year, but if its the same classes and basic set up, any ACP advice may be possibly useful too. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if you need to set up 2 accounts if you are applying to more than one program in Tulane's Graduate School in Biomedical Sciences?

Is there anyone out there whom is currently enrolled in the new MS in Anatomy program that is willing to give us a take on what the program is like, the probability of interview and acceptance to Tulane's MD program, classes, etc? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone out there whom is currently enrolled in the new MS in Anatomy program that is willing to give us a take on what the program is like, the probability of interview and acceptance to Tulane's MD program, classes, etc? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I did the ACP program (Im a med student now) and have been talking to some people who are currently doing ACP and the anatomy masters. From what they say, the 2 programs are not so similar. In ACP, you only take 2 classes ( anatomy then histo), and if you beat the average in anatomy and don't rub anyone the wrong way you are accepted for the following year.

In the masters program, you take anatomy with a couple other classes. It is harder to beat the average because you are juggling multiple classes. And none of the people in the masters program who i have spoken with have gotten interviews/ acceptances to Tulane yet( versus the Acp kids who have all gotten interviews if they beat the average). That being said I wonder if the students who are waiting to finish the program to apply will fair better with Tulane then those who are applying during.

So, if you want to go to Tulane and can get into Acp then go! If you are dead set on going to a diff school ( like your home state or undergrad or whatever), then do the masters, but apply after you are done with the program to maximize your chances. I do think this is a really great academic gap year option that prepares you for med school ( because it is med school).

Has anyone applied or heard anything from this program thus far?

+1, also interested in this. Thinking about applying this year. Waiting to hear back from 1 med school.

Just got accepted to this program - anyone else in the same boat?

Tulane wants to know by the 28th so I'm kind of in a bind for time as far as figuring out whether or not I should toss in the deposit or wait to hear back from some of the other programs I've applied to.

Anyone who has finished the program have any feedback? Haven't been able to find any legitimate sources for statistics on graduates of the program or any statistics at all really lol

I got an email last week that said the committee wasnt meeting until the first week in June. What day did you hear?

This was for the masters program ps - I found out Saturday. Got a letter in the mail.

Sorry, I get confused which is currently being talked about since it's a combined thread.

The first class of the program is finishing up now which is why you can't find any statistics. It's brand new, and a lot of the students in the inaugural class hadn't even taken the MCAT yet so there's not a lot on their matriculation rate. You can call the office and see if there are updates on where the current class is headed, or see if you can get information for a current student. That was my plan if/when I hear from them.

Do you know when the start date (orientations/beginning of classes) is for the program?

Last edited:
Gotcha. I didn't realize this would be the second year of the program. Its super new!

I've contacted the program director to see if she could shed some light on the program. Also PMed someone who said she enrolling last year. I'll add whatever I can get from the two when hear back.

As for orientation/classes, the letter didn't include any specifics but according to the website: "Orientation and classes will start in the first week of August and end in the first week of May the following year."

I'm kind of torn as of now, I'm supposed to let them know by the 28th and I haven't heard back from a handful of other programs yet (UCinc and Eastern Virginia to name a couple).

I'm trying to decide whether this is going to be as sure of a bet as some of the other programs. For example, VCU's CERT program guarantees you an interview at VCU med if you keep a 3.5 and get a 28 on the MCAT. About 1/2 of the program's students get into med school and 1/3 go straight to VCU med. The numbers look pretty promising to me. Although, you walk out of their without a masters degree. :thumbdown:

I'm trying to decide whether this is going to be as sure of a bet as some of the other programs. For example, VCU's CERT program guarantees you an interview at VCU med if you keep a 3.5 and get a 28 on the MCAT. About 1/2 of the program's students get into med school and 1/3 go straight to VCU med. The numbers look pretty promising to me. Although, you walk out of their without a masters degree. :thumbdown:

I understand completely. I just received my letter too, so we might be classmates next year! I'm considering withdrawing my app from ACP, but it's like the VCU program where most students get interviews at Tulane and end up matriculating there. I think 13 of last years 16 ACP students went to Tulane, but you get no degree and no federal financial aid.

Anyone else have thoughts on the comparison of the two programs?

Congrats!

Although, the more I think about it the more I'm concerned about the program - its just so new, so there's really no guarantee. It's not nearly as developed in terms of overall medical school application prep as other programs. Other programs offer MCAT prep, M1 mentors throughout the year, interview prep, etc. Hopefully some student feedback will change my mind.

Why withdraw your app from ACP?! ACP is the real deal. That's basically a sure bet into Tulane assuming you don't completely drop the ball during the program.

Congrats!

Although, the more I think about it the more I'm concerned about the program - its just so new, so there's really no guarantee. It's not nearly as developed in terms of overall medical school application prep as other programs. Other programs offer MCAT prep, M1 mentors throughout the year, interview prep, etc. Hopefully some student feedback will change my mind.

Why withdraw your app from ACP?! ACP is the real deal. That's basically a sure bet into Tulane assuming you don't completely drop the ball during the program.

I've applied one time before (hence the ACP application) so I din't really need all the other supplementary stuff. I just need to make up for my undergrad GPA. And I don't think I would choose ACP over the MS. Having a degree for my time and money is really important to me. And being able to fed federal aid is no small thing either. Plus, it wouldn't make sense to not have the same standards of acceptance (beat the class average) for the MS program.

I've applied one time before (hence the ACP application) so I din't really need all the other supplementary stuff. I just need to make up for my undergrad GPA. And I don't think I would choose ACP over the MS. Having a degree for my time and money is really important to me. And being able to fed federal aid is no small thing either. Plus, it wouldn't make sense to not have the same standards of acceptance (beat the class average) for the MS program.

Hey CriticalCond,

I think you're missing Rmdhana's point. The reason why he's apprehensive about the Tulane master's program is because it does NOT have the same standards of acceptance. I always got the impression that ACP is the only program that will allow you to get accepted to Tulane's med school after beating the average. The MS program does not promise that.

Sorry if you already understood that but I wasn't really sure.

I applied to the ACP and think it's a no-brainer to choose (over the master's, assuming you get into both)- you only take 2 classes, anatomy and histo (and neuro(anatomy) if you want). So you have more time to focus on just those classes and beat the averages, instead of the having to take time studying for the extra grad classes in the master's program. Plus, the master's costs twice as much (but is probably eligible for loans). Lastly, I think the master's degree would give you little to no advantage if your end game is med school, and I personally would be okay with not getting a degree seeing how I am only taking 2-3 classes.

This is exactly the feedback I was looking for, thanks guys.

Warrior, everyone says that (the time/energy to spend in a full grad program vs. ACP), but the way I look at it, med school isn't going to be easier so how hard it is doesn't really play into my decision. Plus I'm interested in reapplying to other places that waitlisted me and ACP seems really Tulane specific.

The admissions guarantee is no small thing however, which is why this is a difficult decision.

just accepted via email to Tulane ACP!!!!!! oh my god so happy!!

I was just notified of my acceptance to the MS program and was wondering if anyone, who has completed/is currently in the program, can offer advice as to how helpful it is for getting into medical school. I'm hoping to apply to med school during the program...does anyone know how successful I can expect to be doing this?? (Given that I perform above the average in my first semester courses.) Any advice is greatly appreciated!