Tulane Master's Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dukeblue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi there:)

I'm wondering if anyone has any information on or is applying to master's programs at Tulane... I am currently looking into the master's in pharmacology program there, but I'd like some more info about it and the website seems to be lacking a little bit. Anyone attend that program now or know anything about it? Also, is anyone from New Orleans that can tell me more about what the city is like now and what it's like to live there after Katrina?

I have a low GPA but a good MCAT score and that didn't get me into med school the first time around. I want to do post-bac work, but I don't want to do a program that doesn't offer me a usable degree or a program that I feel like I'm repeating coursework. Any suggestions on good options?

Thanks for any input or opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to the masters in human genetics program, and was accepted about a month ago. I won't be attending (for a lot of reasons) so I had to turn them down. If I were in your place I would certainly consider applying to both the pharmacology and human genetics programs, though. Tulane is a great school, and I really like administration and students I've met there.

As for New Orleans, I have family there, and I've visited myself recently. Tulane's campus is untouched and is fine (both the undergrad and graduate campuses). The city is getting back on its feet-albeit some parts are moving significantly slower than others. The area around the medical center is approaching normal, but there is a disproportionately large number of abandoned buildings (you'll find some number of them in every city, NOLA just appears to have more than the usual; a notable example being the empty Charity Hospital next door to Tulane's hospital). Places such as the French Quarter are pretty much back to normal, but in the lower parts of the city (ninth ward, st. bernard parish on the outskirts) much of it looks almost identical to how it did two weeks after Katrina.

All that being said, living in New Orleans is a good time. I have a sibling who's an undergrad at Tulane and she's having a blast. There are a few issues, things like public transportation is still being rebuilt (the trolley is only open for one mile) but if you have a car then it's a non-issue. They're having some crime problems, but the police are actively trying to combat the issue (you'll find them riding around horses in the French Quarter and nearby sections of the city). When I last visited I didn't feel particularly unsafe-but I am very comfortable with cities, and I enjoy living in cities. I wouldn't let New Orleans keep you from attending Tulane (nor would I suggest going to Tulane simply because of the city). I would focus more on what Tulane has to offer you and then work from there.

I think sometimes also, that New Orleans may get an unfair representation in the news- because it doesnt come close to topping some of the other dangerous cities in the United States with medical schools in them. However, it is New Orleans and it is a media hotzone. That said, I believe the campuses (at least the med campus) was damaged before, but mostly everything is back up and running again and are moving a good portion of their classrooms and such into Poydras- Tulane has leased out a large portion of it including a new student lounge- I hung out there when waiting for my interview, and it had an amazing view. The new building looks like this

020906_1555_large.jpg

and

inside020105_poydras.jpg

and finally

1555_poydras.jpg

Dont get me wrong though, New Orleans is not by any means the safest place to be, but I think, as with any student, if you mind your business (no drug dealing or prostituting ladies and gents lol) and be smart at night, you will be safe. There will be bad areas of the city and good areas, Tulane students seem to be doing just fine- most seem to be happiest in the uptown area/garden district but there are certainly other locations in the area. I havnt heard much specifically about the program per se, except that they often have their top waitlisted students that applied to their med school attend these type of programs at their school to boost their chances. I havnt heard many negatives, mostly positives. Im sure you can find some reviews of the program on this forum

Members don't see this ad :)
If you got waitlisted anywhere when applying, Tulane Anatomy Certification program would be a great choice. Also look into their MS in neuroscience or cell molec bio. I'm personally applying for cell molec bio and am very familiar with it if you have further questions. (I'm senior in undergrad there and a lot of the MS students are in my classes)

http://cell.tulane.edu/masters.htm
http://www.tulane.edu/~neurosci/neurosci.html

hi there:)

I'm wondering if anyone has any information on or is applying to master's programs at Tulane... I am currently looking into the master's in pharmacology program there, but I'd like some more info about it and the website seems to be lacking a little bit. Anyone attend that program now or know anything about it? Also, is anyone from New Orleans that can tell me more about what the city is like now and what it's like to live there after Katrina?

I have a low GPA but a good MCAT score and that didn't get me into med school the first time around. I want to do post-bac work, but I don't want to do a program that doesn't offer me a usable degree or a program that I feel like I'm repeating coursework. Any suggestions on good options?

Thanks for any input or opinions!

hey just got in, what do you all do for housing

Mind me asking what your stats were? Do you know if the school has social/racial etc. preferences?