Tulane MS Anatomy - Accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southerndr15

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am looking for anyone recently accepted into Tulane MS Anatomy program for the 2020-2021 academic year. Would you mind sharing your stats? (e.g., GPA, MCAT). I am planning to apply and was looking for others accepted to reference myself with.

Anyone currently in the program (2019-2020) please feel free to reply as well and share your stats!

Thank you in advance for your time during this pandemic and thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my acceptance a couple of days ago and to be honest, I'm surprised I got it.

2.99 cGPA, even lower sGPA, 322 GRE. When I spoke with the admissions department, they told me that my LORs were really what got me in. Best of luck with the application!

Edit: Also if it helps, here is the curriculum for the program. It's listed on their website as elective courses, but these are their recommended courses for the program.

FALL SEMESTER COURSESSPRING SEMESTER COURSES
ANAT 7065 Graduate Anatomy (11 credits)
This course provides in-depth knowledge of gross and developmental anatomy of the whole body. Includes dissection lab.
Course Director: Melanie Korndorffer, MD, FACS - [email protected]
ANAT 7055 Graduate Histology (5 credits)
This course provides knowledge of the cell, basic tissues and organs in the body, as well as systems-based histology. Includes microscopy and virtual labs.
Course Director: Lu Xu, PhD - [email protected]
ANAT 7120 Anatomy Research Seminar I (1 credit)
Seminars in department of SCB and the Tulane Cancer Center.​
ANAT 7575 Graduate Neuroscience (6 credits)
This course offers in-depth knowledge of the neuroanatomy and neurophysiology of the brain and spinal cord. Includes dissection lab.
Course Director: David Blask, PhD, MD [email protected]
ANAT 7240 Advances in Anatomical Sciences I (1 credit)
Current topics in anatomical sciences research.
ANAT 7130 Anatomy Research Seminar II (2 credits)
Seminars in SCB and Tulane Cancer Center. Student is required to present one seminar.
ANAT 7350 Anatomical Techniques (3 credits)
In-depth study of techniques in anatomical sciences including embalming, light and specialized microscopy. Includes mentoring in research lab.
ANAT 7250 Advances in Anatomical Sciences II (1 credit)
Current topics in anatomical sciences research.
ANAT 7090 Leadership in Healthcare (3 credits)
This course focuses on developing the skills required for potential careers involving leadership roles.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing and for posting the curriculum! Also, congratulations on being accepted!

About how long did it take to hear back from them once you submitted your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
It took about 21 days to hear back from the Anatomy program. I also applied to Medical Genetics/Genomics and Pharmacology and heard back in about 15 days.

Did either of you have trouble getting your documents in? My MCAT scores & transcripts are still not showing as received, even the electronically sent ones. When I emailed, they basically said I had to wait since Louisiana is under stay-at-home orders still :/

It took about 21 days to hear back from the Anatomy program. I also applied to Medical Genetics/Genomics and Pharmacology and heard back in about 15 days.
That's not too bad. I've been accepted into the Pharmacology program and just waiting to hear back from Anatomy. I'm worried about maybe not getting in and not finding out until after my response time for Pharm passes.

Did either of you have trouble getting your documents in? My MCAT scores & transcripts are still not showing as received, even the electronically sent ones. When I emailed, they basically said I had to wait since Louisiana is under stay-at-home orders still :/
I had all of my documents submitted before the stay-at-home order was in place so I'm not sure. Did you try calling them? They were really good over the phone the times I called.

I had all of my documents submitted before the stay-at-home order was in place so I'm not sure. Did you try calling them? They were really good over the phone the times I called.

Darn. No, but I will on Monday. Thanks for the idea.
I'm trying not to bug them, but Tulane is my preferred school and I have a backup acceptance elsewhere that is wanting a deposit fairly soon :/

Current Masters of Anatomy student here procrastinating studying for my last neuro exam. Feel free to ask any questions either here or through PM

Current Masters of Anatomy student here procrastinating studying for my last neuro exam. Feel free to ask any questions either here or through PM

Are you all going to class remotely? I've just put down my deposit but I haven't heard anything about how classes will be held in the coming fall.

Are you all going to class remotely? I've just put down my deposit but I haven't heard anything about how classes will be held in the coming fall.
We are, they've been extremely accommodating and encourage/welcome feedback from their students. Not just in my masters class but throughout all programs within the med school.

That being said Gross Anatomy would go terribly online. You just can't do Gross online. This sounds like an extreme case and if this happens not only will it create problems with your class but also with the T1 class and ACLP class since all 3 programs work in conjunction during Anatomy. I don't anticipate this happening though and I'm sure they will do everything in their power to get in-person instruction started before the next school year.

Has anyone in your class applied to med school while in the program? Or just waiting until you all finish the program?

Has anyone in your class applied to med school while in the program? Or just waiting until you all finish the program?
Yea, so there's about 19 people in the class who are doing this program for medical school

8 of the students applied during the program (2019 cycle to start med school in 2020). All 8 of them received an interview at either an MD or DO school. Currently, 4 were accepted into an MD school and 1 was accepted to a DO school

Tulane specific stats: 6 out of 8 students received interviews from Tulane this cycle (1 student did early decision at another school and the other not sure what happened with the interview).
1 out of 6 was accepted to Tulane (so far) and the rest have been placed on the waitlist. Still no word yet on the movement of this list for these students

Also, something to note, last year's masters of anatomy class (Class of 2019) had 2 students accepted to TUSOM class of 2023 (went from anatomy straight into med school). 2 students were accepted this year and will be matriculating in Fall (went from anatomy - applied during gap year - accepted into TUSOM). This is to the extent of my knowledge on this class. Not sure how many applied or if more were accepted.

Disclaimer: every class is different and it seems that the program is getting more competitive and receiving more recognition by the adcoms at TUSOM. It is NOT a bridge program. That is the ACLP program at Tulane. There is still no word on how many of the students in my class will be accepted in total this year. And there is still data to come for the rest of the class who are applying next cycle. All I can say is if you put in the hard work (get A's), make connections with everyone (med students, aclp, and faculty), and are involved with the community, you have a good chance of receiving an interview at Tulane. *again, every student/class is different but these are my experiences from this years class at Tulane*

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Yea, so there's about 19 people in the class who are doing this program for medical school

8 of the students applied this cycle. All 8 of them received an interview at either an MD or DO school. Currently, 4 were accepted into an MD school and 1 was accepted to a DO school

Tulane specific stats: 6 out of 8 students received interviews from Tulane this cycle (1 student did early decision at another school and the other not sure what happened with the interview).
1 out of 6 was accepted to Tulane and the rest have been placed on the waitlist. Still no word yet on the movement of this list for these students

Also, something to note, last year's masters of anatomy class had 2 students accepted to the class of 2023 (current med students), and 2 students are currently accepted this year and matriculating in Fall. This is to the extent of my knowledge on this class. Not sure how many applied or if more were accepted.

Disclaimer: every class is different and it seems that the program is getting more competitive and receiving more recognition by the adcoms at TUSOM. It is NOT a bridge program. That is the ACLP program at Tulane. There is still no word on how many of the students in my class will be accepted in total this year. And there is still data to come for the rest of the class who are applying next cycle. All I can say is if you put in the hard work (get A's), make connections with everyone (med students, aclp, and faculty), and are involved with the community, you have a good chance of receiving an interview at Tulane. *again, every student/class is different but these are my experiences from this years class at Tulane*

How are you handling the weird 11 month or so gap between graduating from the MS program and applying to medical school? When I mapped it out, it seems like after graduating in May of 2021, I won't be matriculating until August of 2022 (if I even get accepted).

Also when you say that 8 students applied this cycle, are you referring to applications that opened April 2020? I'm surprised that someone already heard back this early and had been accepted. Thanks!

How are you handling the weird 11 month or so gap between graduating from the MS program and applying to medical school? When I mapped it out, it seems like after graduating in May of 2021, I won't be matriculating until August of 2022 (if I even get accepted).

Also when you say that 8 students applied this cycle, are you referring to applications that opened April 2020? I'm surprised that someone already heard back this early and had been accepted. Thanks!
Sorry for the confusion, we are in a weird time period now where "this cycle" could literally mean two different cycles lol I'll add these edits to the original post.

For clarification, the 8 students who applied submitted the AMCAS app in 2019 before/during the program. They received interviews and acceptances during the school year (2019-2020). Those accepted, will be matriculating this fall to medical school (2020).

I was one of the students who was accepted to a med school (not Tulane, I am on the waitlist post-interview) so I can't answer your gap year question directly.

I can answer in terms of what my classmates have mentioned for their gap year plans. Here at Tulane, one student from a previous class worked at the department with all the same professors as an office manager! (she was also an unofficial TA). There are two official TA positions where you can become a TA for anatomy/histology for the following MS class (this looks good for Tulane specifically). Some are choosing to do research during their gap year here at Tulane as well. Some will work in a hospital setting. There are many possibilities and Tulane does a great job in offering students these opportunities during the weird transition of post-anatomy to med school matriculation. They won't hang you out to dry. You will have options and advisors to counsel you on which route is best.

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion, we are in a weird time period now where "this cycle" could literally mean two different cycles lol I'll add these edits to the original post.

For clarification, the 8 students who applied submitted the AMCAS app in 2019 before/during the program. They received interviews and acceptances during the school year (2019-2020). Those accepted, will be matriculating this fall to medical school (2020).

I was one of the students who was accepted to a med school (not Tulane, I am on the waitlist post-interview) so I can't answer your gap year question directly.

I can answer in terms of what my classmates have mentioned for their gap year plans. Here at Tulane, one student from a previous class worked at the department with all the same professors as an office manager! (she was also an unofficial TA). There are two official TA positions where you can become a TA for anatomy/histology for the following MS class (this looks good for Tulane specifically). Some are choosing to do research during their gap year here at Tulane as well. Some will work in a hospital setting. There are many possibilities and Tulane does a great job in offering students these opportunities during the weird transition of post-anatomy to med school matriculation. They won't hang you out to dry. You will have options and advisors to counsel you on which route is best.

Awesome, any neighborhoods you would suggest living?

That's encouraging to hear! Thanks. Do you have any tips for apply before/during the program? And any tips for the program? Like what might we except going in and study resources.

Awesome, any neighborhoods you would suggest living?
Depends on your situation. School of medicine is located downtown and all your classes will be there. However, the main campus is uptown along with the gym, best coffee shops, and social activities.

I'd say if you have a car commuting is easy but parking can get expensive ($80 a month I believe). They do have a free Tulane shuttle that goes from uptown to downtown and back

Downtown housing is either an apartment building or Deming Pavilion (graduate student housing). CBD is a cool neighborhood by downtown.

Uptown neighborhoods: Lower Garden District, Garden District, Uptown has a lot of off-campus housing options by willow st, freret st, Carrollton st

Ppl from the program lived all around, the ones bolded are the ones ppl lived at most. Living in downtown is very easy if you don't have a car however rent can get pricey.

That's encouraging to hear! Thanks. Do you have any tips for apply before/during the program? And any tips for the program? Like what might we except going in and study resources.
*long post alert*

Yea, get your secondaries in before the start of the program. We start with anatomy so it gets real hectic, real fast. So getting those secondaries in will save you time and allow you to focus fully on anatomy. With the exception of Tulane's secondary, get to know tulane before submitting that secondary. It makes it more personal. Also make connections, this is a big one. Reach out to faculty, you'll learn very quickly that there are some pretty important faculty who have an impact on you getting an interview with Tulane. Become friends with current medical students, the admissions committee says they value their student's opinions on interview day. I've seen medical students write endorsement letters for those applying and tulane really reads them and takes it into consideration, which is cool. Be involved in the community, Tulane is huge on community service so let it be known you want to be involved with the community around Nola in something you are passionate about, not just anything. And send updates to all schools about how you're killing anatomy.

In regards to the program, I'm gonna copy and paste what someone sent me last year plus add some stuff. It was good advice going into anatomy:

"- Anatomy is the first course take and it will hit you hard. Multiple lectures (1-3) a day, followed by cadaver lab which is the time you actually learn. Hopefully you have a team that is ready to role everyday. My team helped me out a lot with difficult topics. Written exam is 50questions and practical exam is 50 identify questions (an Atlas will save you!!!) and TBL quizzes are free points to boost your grade.

- Histology is the next major course but intensity drops from a 10 to a 5. Exams are more spread out and if your able to memorize the book, lectures and images you'll survive

- Neuroscience hits you hard the 1st week but its manageable (only 3 exams, no quizzes) so messing up on 1 exam your already messed up in terms of getting an A.

Overall the program was helpful but you feel like a 2nd rate citizen compared to the ACLP and Med students. Dr. Hill is ALWAYS helpful and willing to talk to you when your down which will happen. (this is true unfortunately but I do feel ACLP kids got better with this my year)

Exams:
50 questions in the morning (Clinically related) A-E sometimes F options which makes this difficult
50 questions in the afternoon (Cadaver practical - I think you get 10 mins per room to identify tagged organs/nerves/arteries) which sounds simple honestly but every human body is different so you might know all the Brachail plexus on your body but when you go to a different room with a completely different body then your like WTH is this. So study all cadavers. Sometimes you find TA's saying "wow the hepatic artery is very nice in Lab B table 3" Go to that body.
Youre either 100% right or wrong

Letters of Rec:
Yes they write you letters individually (No committee letter)
But word of advice would be is to get close to the head Professors (Dr. K, Dr. Blask, Dr. Hill, Dr. Xu) because you want a STRONG letter of recommendation not something that will hurt you

Studying:
I studied everyday. During Anatomy you have to study smart not hard or long because your in lecture from 8AM-11AM and then Cadaver lab 11AM-1PM and after that your mind will be drained because lab instructors and TAs walk around asking you questions and you feel dumb not knowing things and end up feeling lost and it builds up SO FAST. Don't be scared though, this is normal.

You’ll get 85% of the material you need for the written exams from going to lecture and taking good notes during lecture. In order to do good on the exams pay attention in lab analyzing & reviewing everything (including the atlas). Do all the review questions in the back of the Grays book multiple times & you'll 100% kill it."

Study Resources:

- BRS (Good for clinical correlation but it’s not vital, you can download the pdf for free & print out pages if you're more of a paper person )
- Atlas (very helpful when preparing for the dissection exam) most people used the Netter Human Anatomy Atlas (cartoon images) or the Anatomy: A Photographic Atlas (actual human images)
- The Masters lounge has Atlas that they have for everyone to use but my advice is to not buy the Atlas & just take one from the Master Lounge & use throughout Anatomy.
- Grays Anatomy textbook (gives you all the information you need + more includes great pictures) The review questions are your biggest resource for the written exam. Do them all. Do them all multiple times. It is worth it.
- When you purchase Grays Anatomy you get access to the online book which is good because there are mini quizzes at the end of each section
- Grant Dissector (is the book used in lab. I personally never used it to prepare for exams. Some ppl say it helped them b/c it gives you information that is sometimes not in the Grays Anatomy book)
- The lab cadvers are an endless resource for the practical exam. They give you a practical list of taggable structures before the exam. I cannot emphasize this enough: go to different labs/cadavers, quiz the medical students, learn with random people. Make friends with ACLP and med students along with your class. Do not just study with the same person/ppl for lab. Trust me the best way to learn is to put yourself out there. Everyone is very smart, I have been saved multiple times when a med student randomly says "the TA really liked our body's artery, look" and boom it was on the practical exam.

Sorry for the long post guys.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello! Just got my acceptance to the MS in Anatomy. I was wondering if there is any kind of resources on how to find roommates?

Hi everyone, I am looking for anyone recently accepted into Tulane MS Anatomy program for the 2020-2021 academic year. Would you mind sharing your stats? (e.g., GPA, MCAT). I am planning to apply and was looking for others accepted to reference myself with.

Anyone currently in the program (2019-2020) please feel free to reply as well and share your stats!

Thank you in advance for your time during this pandemic and thanks for your help!

FYI my stats are cGPA 3.1 sGPA a little lower. GRE 312. Had great rec letters and lots of research experience.

Hello! Just got my acceptance to the MS in Anatomy. I was wondering if there is any kind of resources on how to find roommates?
I don't know of any. If you call the office maybe they can reach out to other accepted students or even incoming ACLP's/T1's.

I had a friend who went to Tulane for undergrad add me to the housing and classified page, still looking for housing tho and it's stressing me out a bit lol

Darn. No, but I will on Monday. Thanks for the idea.
I'm trying not to bug them, but Tulane is my preferred school and I have a backup acceptance elsewhere that is wanting a deposit fairly soon :/
I had the same thing where my transcripts wouldn't go through for a while due to COVID. They finally did and I got my acceptance only 2-3 days after.

@blond.MD would you mind private messaging me? It seems I can't send one to you but you should be able to send me one. I have a quick question I'd like to ask.

Congrats on finishing up the program!! do you know anything about the Masters in Medical Genetics at Tulane?

Last edited:
Hello!! Congrats on finishing the program. How would you rate your experience? Any tips on going into the program?

Congrats on finishing up the program!! do you know anything about the Masters in Medical Genetics at Tulane?
Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't know much about that program. If you call the BMS office, they can connect with you a recent alumn of the program. 504-988-5043
Hello!! Congrats on finishing the program. How would you rate your experience? Any tips on going into the program?
Thank you! It's had its ups and downs, overall, compared to other masters and postbaccs, I'd rate it an 8.5. Communication was a big issue. Some courses need fine-tuning. Overall it's good and I recommend it. As for tips going in, just go in with a confident mind ready to make friends. Everyone starts off in the same boat. Be open to talking to faculty and students. This is your chance to improve as a student and applicant. Be ready to learn and study every day (at least for the anatomy block)!

Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't know much about that program. If you call the BMS office, they can connect with you a recent alumn of the program. 504-988-5043

Thank you! It's had its ups and downs, overall, compared to other masters and postbaccs, I'd rate it an 8.5. Communication was a big issue. Some courses need fine-tuning. Overall it's good and I recommend it. As for tips going in, just go in with a confident mind ready to make friends. Everyone starts off in the same boat. Be open to talking to faculty and students. This is your chance to improve as a student and applicant. Be ready to learn and study every day (at least for the anatomy block)!
Thank you for your response! Do you have any recommendations for housing?

Hi! Did you find any resources for finding a roommate? I’m struggling to find one.

Hey if you have any questions about this program, I don't mind answering it. I successfully graduated from this program in May 2019 and applying this cycle.