Tulane MS in Microbiology & Immunology Program info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eman13261

Reaction score
I realize that there are tons of forums for the other Tulane MS programs but there is not one with sufficient information on their micro & immunology program. I was recently accepted and received some info from the program director and wanted to share it to help anyone applying to postbac programs.

The program is new (~5 years) and is VERY comparable to their other MS programs like anatomy, pharmacology, biochemistry, cell & mol bio. It piggybacks off the structure and objectives of these already established programs. Similar to all their other programs the main goals is to enhance the applicant's resume for health professional schools. It will not change your ugpa you will be provided a (hopefully) shiny new grad gpa. They have minimal data on their students due to the age of the program but I was told the number was ~70% who applied were accepted to med school their first time with others still applying in their gap year.

Whether or not is is a "true" SMP is subjective. The host school is an MD school, it has relatively high success rates and classes are taught by SOM faculty. Still a new program so it's hard to tell. However it is clear that it is not a traditional masters that would not be viewed as representative of a challenging med curriculum. The program director stated that there are 3 classes (advanced immunology, medical micro, and medical biochemistry) that are designed to mock med classes and in fact go into more detail than their med school counter parts. Yes you read that right, more detail, take it with a grain of salt. Classes are taught in the SOM by their faculty. You will receive a masters and have the opportunity to complete a thesis track by generating a review paper or a non-thesis by just taking more credits (30 vs. 26). You will be paired with an advisor and faculty mentor and have the opportunity for clinical advisement, shadowing, research, ect.. A committee letter will also be provided upon request that will emphasize the difficulty of the program to demonstrate your potential to succeed in med school...if you do well.

***As a side note I was told that the MS in pharmacology will no longer be taking their pharm class with M2 students due to some rearrangement in Tulane's SOM.***

Overall it seems like a great program and I plan on attending Fall 2018. Tulane has a respectable record with their postbac success and I would argue this will be no different. Apply to this program if you are interested in micro and immunology. If you like anatomy or biochemistry more, then apply to those instead. They all share the same objectives but you'll be learning about something you actually enjoy.

Like all SMP-styled programs you are taking a risk and it should be noted that while doing well will definitely help you, doing poorly will likely be the end of your medical career. Don't start thinking "I'll just do really good and I'll get into every program I want!". I have a 3.2gpa 2.9sgpa 510 MCAT and will likely be taking a semester or two of DIY postbac as well. There is no easy way in if you need gpa repair. Make a solid plan, put in the work, prove yourself, network with faculty, never stop doing ECs and do your best. No program will ultimately determine your merit, it is your responsibility to take advantage of every opportunity that a school and community have to offer.

Hope this helps!!! :):)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
First of all, congrats! All of Tulane's programs are great and you can't go wrong with either just pick the subject you enjoy.

I do not know that stat. I know that the ACP program which requires a waitlisted app for a US med school has ~95% acceptance rate to Tulane med. My assumption would be that after succeeding in a Tulane MS you're more likely than a non-Tulane applicant to get into their SOM (if you've networked well). But to my knowledge there is no formal interview or acceptance linkage you just have to take advantage of faculty recommendations and get your foot in the door.

For both the MS Microbio and biochem there are required courses that are "medical school equivalent" so there is no avoiding them. A high GPA is key to succeeding in these programs and thus gaining acceptance into a med school. These classes make that possible and separate SMPs from a traditional masters. Truthfully I think you're only fooling yourself if you want to avoid the "harder" classes. Your goal is to demonstrate that you can do well in med school and there is no loophole around that if your gpa needs reinvention. It's also to make sure that YOU can handle it. Doing poorly in medical school equivalent classes means you will not do well in the real thing and that's just the hard truth.

I'd say just take a mixture of classes that you find interesting and put in the work. You'll be fine. They don't accept people that they think will fail out and never achieve a med school acceptance. Just make sure you keep up your GPA, do some more ECs and network.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found this reply on a similar inquiry. Basically reiterates my previous points/advice but from a Tulane faculty member.

As the Director of the Master's in Medical Genetics and Genomics at Tulane I would like to add some thoughts and information. I am also on the Admissions committee for Tulane Medical School.

First of all, the post's title says "Tulane Genetics vs Mississippi College MS" - but the person got into Tulane Microbiology MS, not our Genetics program. There is a difference: both are great programs. We have been around longer so we have better stats regarding the percentage of students who go on to Medical or DO school (around 90% eventually - but not always the year after they finish.) I would bet Micro will have similar stats.

Regarding which Masters to pick: I advice students to think about what they like to learn. I have a passion for Medical Genetics as does all my faculty. And I believe genetics will affect every specialty and is the wave of the future of medicine. We want students who are interested in genetics. I think almost all Post-bacs are close to equal in terms of helping you get into medical school. Admission depends on so many factors that the post-bac is just one. It is useful for showing you can do graduate level academics. So choosing among them I believe, should be more about what you will enjoy learning for that year.
/QUOTE]

Another update about the program. If you decide to do the 30 credit course based track (which is generally recommended to pre-med students) you have the opportunity to take a biochem shelf exam (NBME). This means that after two semesters of your equivalent M1 biochem course you will be taking the same standard final exam as other M1 students. Great opportunity to show med schools that you can handle the workload. There are also research courses each semester which are 1-2 credits and graded as pass/fail based on a final paper. For the research you need to reach out to the PI of whatever lab you wish to join, similar to a new PhD student.

I was just accepted into this program for 2019-2020.

I received the email before actually receiving the letter.

Reactions: 1 user