Tulane Pharmacology vs. Drexel MSP-MBS Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strawberry.p

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I just finished undergrad and have to decide by June 1st which SMP program to attend. I am reaching out for some advice on whether to attend Tulane's 1-year MS Pharmacology program or Drexel's Medical Science Preparatory-Master of Biological Science (MSP-MBS) program. I have researched on SDN for hours and cannot make a decision. I would really appreciate any and all input!

My undergrad cGPA is a 3.3 and my sGPA is a 3.0.
My MCAT is a 23 - I took it under pressure last November before the big 2015 change and obviously wasn't ready - so I plan on devoting serious time to MCAT prep.
I was a Molecular Biology & Biochemistry major, and a Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies minor.

So, I am leaning towards Tulane because it is a 1 year program, meaning it'll cost significantly less. Also, the program has built-in community outreach. And I have read that Tulane has a better reputation.
On the other hand, Drexel is a 2 year program, which means more money. But it also has an emphasis on basic sciences for the MCAT and built-in MCAT prep.

I guess I am worried that although Tulane seems more attractive (1 year, cheaper, and in NOLA), the curriculum might prove to be more challenging and risky. I am worried that I may not do well, regarding GPA, because of challenging coursework crammed into 1 year. Or if I do well in all the courses, I won't have had enough time to dedicate to the MCAT.
But if I go to Drexel, it may be the safer option in terms of having 2 years to complete graduate school coursework, get a great GPA, and have dedicated time to get great MCAT scores.

Does this situation make sense? Please ask any questions that may help in advising me.

ALSO, does anyone have more info on what the coursework is like for Tulane's program and Drexel's Medical Science Preparatory-Master of Biological Science (MSP-MBS) program? And any general opinions on either program?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I would not bother with the SMP/grad school route for Fall 2015. You mention the expense, which is a good thing to consider at this point. But the more important question is, can you perform better on the MCAT?

Before you sink a year (or two) of your life into a program like the ones you've mentioned, you really need to crush the MCAT. Thinking you'll have time to study for the test during the year isn't reasonable; you need to have all your ducks in a row before you start your SMP. That means maxing out your undergrad GPA, making sure all your ECs and letters are ready to go, and (most importantly) earning a satisfactory MCAT score.

Some people aren't good test-takers, and you may be one of them. Don't learn this fact during a 1-2 year program costing tens of thousands of dollars. Instead, consider taking a year off to take a few more undergrad classes and study full time for 3-6 months for the MCAT. If you do well (i.e. >32) then consider the SMP route. Otherwise, you're making plans and spending big bucks assuming that this difficult test will work out.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all!

I just finished undergrad and have to decide by June 1st which SMP program to attend. I am reaching out for some advice on whether to attend Tulane's 1-year MS Pharmacology program or Drexel's Medical Science Preparatory-Master of Biological Science (MSP-MBS) program. I have researched on SDN for hours and cannot make a decision. I would really appreciate any and all input!

My undergrad cGPA is a 3.3 and my sGPA is a 3.0.
My MCAT is a 23 - I took it under pressure last November before the big 2015 change and obviously wasn't ready - so I plan on devoting serious time to MCAT prep.
I was a Molecular Biology & Biochemistry major, and a Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies minor.

So, I am leaning towards Tulane because it is a 1 year program, meaning it'll cost significantly less. Also, the program has built-in community outreach. And I have read that Tulane has a better reputation.
On the other hand, Drexel is a 2 year program, which means more money. But it also has an emphasis on basic sciences for the MCAT and built-in MCAT prep.

I guess I am worried that although Tulane seems more attractive (1 year, cheaper, and in NOLA), the curriculum might prove to be more challenging and risky. I am worried that I may not do well, regarding GPA, because of challenging coursework crammed into 1 year. Or if I do well in all the courses, I won't have had enough time to dedicate to the MCAT.
But if I go to Drexel, it may be the safer option in terms of having 2 years to complete graduate school coursework, get a great GPA, and have dedicated time to get great MCAT scores.

Does this situation make sense? Please ask any questions that may help in advising me.

ALSO, does anyone have more info on what the coursework is like for Tulane's program and Drexel's Medical Science Preparatory-Master of Biological Science (MSP-MBS) program? And any general opinions on either program?

Thanks!
Without a better MCAT the SMP will be essentially useless for you.