Tulane SOM Class of 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlayMeSomeMusic

Always waiting...
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I couldn't help myself. Everybody else seems to have a thread and I'm too excited about Tulane not to post! Congrats to everyone else that's heard!

Members don't see this ad.

Very excited here as well!

Congrats to the both of you. I take it that you two have decided on Tulane for certain.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!

If y'all have any questions, I'm a T1, New Orleans native, and former Tulane undergrad.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and try and help out when I can.

I got the letter as well. Thrilled and unless I hear from my fav state school soon, which would give me a real decision to make, here i come New orleans

Not completely for sure but it's definitely in my top two. How about you?

I know it's rather early, but I am planning on it. I loved the school and what it has to offer.

Congrats!

If y'all have any questions, I'm a T1, New Orleans native, and former Tulane undergrad.

don't u have something better to do, like cram for block 2 exams :laugh:

Congrats to all of you~ my application at Tulane was complete 2 wks ago... I love everything about the school (and NOLA too...) and would LOOOVE to be part of this class!:)

Congrats!

Page - Do you have any thoughts on the MD/MPH program?

Very excited here as well!

Congrats to the both of you. I take it that you two have decided on Tulane for certain.

I loved Tulane, but I'm not certain. It's funny, because the day before my interview at Tulane, I bumped into a 3rd or 4th year Tulane student studying in a coffee shop on Magazine who said that he'd been really torn between Tulane and Loyola. I can definitely see his point. There are a lot of similarities between the two. And both are GREAT schools. I'm going to go back for an informal second look at Loyola next month, and I'll see about taking a trip back to NOLA when I can wing it.

Congrats to the rest of you posting in this thread!

Members don't see this ad :)
TULANE c/o 2012!! Can't wait!

if you don't mind me asking, when did you interview? i'm still patiently waiting to hear back from them...

oh, congrats btw.

Checked my mail today after being out of town for the holiday...and acceptance! YES!!! There's a pretty good chance this will be where I end up next fall!

Hey everyone! So my computer is currently dying a slow death and I'm looking at getting a new one. I was just wondering if there was any type that is popular at Tulane or works best with their technology, etc. I was thinking about a mac, but I don't want to be the only one there with one. This may be a stupid question, but just thought I'd ask. Thanks!

I'm not sure about the technology on their end lots of people in my masters program and undergrad and the class I took with the pharm students had all different kinds of laptops so I'd think most would work. I was thinking about a mac too just an fyi

Hey everyone! So my computer is currently dying a slow death and I'm looking at getting a new one. I was just wondering if there was any type that is popular at Tulane or works best with their technology, etc. I was thinking about a mac, but I don't want to be the only one there with one. This may be a stupid question, but just thought I'd ask. Thanks!
lots of students in our class have macbooks. you won't be the only one. use whatever you're comfortable with.

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to SDN so I JUST discovered this thread! Count me in on the Tulane excitement!! Congrats guys!! :D Does anyone know when second visit weekend is and if it's paid for?!?! :p

Page - Do you have any thoughts on the MD/MPH program?

Depends on what you wanna do in life. if you wanna have the MPH in front of your name or want to be involved in administrative work do it. It won't help you when it comes to residency and you are better off doing research.

Congratulations guys. You're going to love it here. This is coming from a current T1 who has always been in the north/northeast his entire life from birth to grad school. Im loving it down here!

Depends on what you wanna do in life. if you wanna have the MPH in front of your name or want to be involved in administrative work do it. It won't help you when it comes to residency and you are better off doing research.
Good point. Keep in mind that getting an MPH means you'll have to pay more $$$. So unless you really envision yourself, at least partly, doing some public health work (or hospital administration in which case MHA), I would advise against it. Schools make the assertion that getting another degree will greatly enhance your residency application and in part this may be true, but only if you plan to sacrifice some of your time at your tenure in med school to attain it, be willing to pay for it, and be willing to use it. Tulane's MD/MPH program is pretty well established. You have a few options on how to get it, with many students opting to start MPH classes the summer before medical school begins (which means I think, you can also start and finish, during that summer, histology earlier than most other T1s- our current TAs are mostly MPH/MD students who started early). Others sign up when the year starts and start classes in the second semester or the following summer (not sure). I considered getting a MPH but with a MS on my belt ($$ debt already on my belt with Tulane's tuition=no go), I chose not to go for it. However, Tulane's MPH school is also one of the top schools in the country, and is located in one of the best cities to use your MPH to its potential. The med school definitely highlights its program and is one of the flagship attractions that Tulane espouses. Good luck with your choice, I love Tulane and loving NOLA. Stress is defintely much lower than most of my other peers in other medical schools and all the while, Im having fun. And to be perfectly honest, Im having just as, if not more, fun than when I was in college. There's alot to be said about that. Like Page, I'll also try to check in now and then to see if I can answer any questions. Or feel free to IM me.

Page... I hate studying the skull.

SO happy that i can join this thread! where do most med students live?

SO happy that i can join this thread! where do most med students live?

Congratulations!

From what I remember, many students live in the uptown area, which was roughly 10-15 minutes from the school depending on traffic. It looked like a really nice area, and was near Audubon Park.

How much more $$ is doing the MPH? And are there any cell phone providers that are especially good or especially bad? My contract is about to expire :mad: yay congrats to everyone who got in!

I live uptown, a 3-4 minute drive away from school in a really nice area of town. Rent is cheap where I live cause I found a pretty good deal. You can cut down the driving time if you know the right routes to take. Im about a 7-10 minute bike ride away from Audobon- and its amazing to bike/jog there- easily one fo the best scenics in the city.

As for $$, im not entirely sure, my MPH friend says its around $40K more since you are essentially paying for additional graduate schooling ($10,000 per summer since you will need to do a bunch of MPH stuff during the summer). Do it if you are interested in it, and see yourself using it somehow. The brochures tends to advertise for MPH in the sense that you'll be more competitive for residencies, which I think is an unfair way to advertise it because its a crapload more money for an already expensive tuition and while it might make u stand out a little bit more, you have to ask yourself if the time and money falls in line with what you want to do with an MPH.

Verizon is a good cell phone provider down here.

I had Cingular (which is now ATandT and my dad is convinced is crap so take this for what you will) last year while I was down there.. I had service even in the med school building or some other places where most of my friends didn't. In fact, some of them didn't bother to turn their phones on silent because they knew they couldn't get any calls where we were at in the school.. But I still did have service.. so at least last year it worked well.. as far as currently I wouldn't be able to comment.

I have Cingular/AT&T with blackberry. As far as the auditorium where T1 classes are held, you will not get reception. For most areas of the building with lab and lecture- you will get really crappy reception. Verizon seems to get pretty decent reception here wherever you are in school. I have to borrow friends' verizon phones to make calls from the lounge. I wouldnt change to verizon though, cingular/tmobile phones are way cooler and the service is better at home in NJ :cool:

Last edited:

Last edited:
road tripped from DC to Houston via New Orleans and went to the French quarter with some of my friends from the undergrad, I'm excited.

hi all!

I got my letter on christmas eve (yay!) and was super excited. I will most likely be there in the fall. anyway, just wanted to say hi.

maybe we can network for housing or visiting new orleans again (my interview was one of my only times in the south) when it gets closer to the fall! :)

I got in!!! I had to read the letter five times before I could believe it, still hasn't sunk in I dont think. Can't wait to meet everyone next Fall!

Yes acceptance is such a good feeling! I couldn't see myself anywhere but Tulane, and I will see all of you in the fall as well! Anyone have any kind of information on how grants/loans work? Are you able to cover most expenses with Stafford loans or do you need to take out the Graduate Plus loan as well??

You choose a lender (T.H.E. tends to be the most popular one). Then they will work out all your financial aid for you. For the most part you dont have to do too much work to make finaid go smoothly. You'll get your award letter and you can choose to take the alloted aid or change the amount given to you. Make sure you go for unsubsidized and subsidized stafford loans, another available option is gradplus and perkins loans. The rest that are unable to be covered by government loans will most likely have to go through a private vendor (which in many ways may be better since it seems that the US government is doing away with loan deferment and cutting down on repayment duration in residency). I forget how much Stafford is allotted (if you used stafford in college, this will cut down on how much is available to you since staffords, I think, have a lifetime borrowing limit). generally speaking you will pay for your education with a mix of stafford, gradplus, perkins, and private loans. stafford will pay for a huge chunk of it (for me roughly a little more than half) while the rest for living expenses come from my other loans

Just a word of advice. Save money for the first few weeks of school. You wont have your financial aid until a few weeks after school starts, so you'll need to fund your own social acitivites, rent, etc.. You can purchase books with your ID card and it gets debted from your tulane account until your aid arrives, but for most other things you'll need to fund it yourself for a while. If yu really need the money early, I think u can file for emergency funds.

does anyone know when the deadline for fin aid is? thanks.

does susana email you confirmation that she received your acceptance to the offer of admission? i didn't get one but wasn't sure if that was because of the holidays.

also, for financial aid, will tulane send us more info about it? i know they didn't cover it at all during the interview day, while a lot of other schools do.

Your confirmation will be a mailed photocopy of your deposit check. cant hurt to call, but be patient if you mailed in the check you should receive a copy back soon.

A packet will come in the mail with financial aid information eventually. I forgot when mine came, i remember it coming in April/May. I think April 15th is deadline for financial aid, but file your fafsa early and get all your supplementary financial aid forms sent out asap. Earlier the better.

I got my acceptance letter on Christmas Eve -- it was the best gift I ever received in all my life!

Anyone got any info on when the second visit is usually scheduled?

There is no official second look day (not that Im aware of). I can, however, answer whatever questions you may have or show you informaly around if you come down to NOLA if Im not too bogged down with exams or classes :)

I got my acceptance letter on Christmas Eve -- it was the best gift I ever received in all my life!

Anyone got any info on when the second visit is usually scheduled?

An upperclassman can give you a more definitive answer on this, but from the searches I've done on SDN, it doesn't seem like there is a second look weekend? Congratulations though!! I know how ecstatic you must feel right now :)

thanks for the helpful replies, braluk!

anyone interested in having a sort of informal second look and checking out the school and new orleans?

I will be there all weekend... for the National Championship game!!!!