Tulane SOM Class of 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone gotten any info on the MD/MBA program, or know when we need to apply by? I´ve gotten a bunch of stuff on MPH, but nothing on the MBA.

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone gotten any info on the MD/MBA program, or know when we need to apply by? I´ve gotten a bunch of stuff on MPH, but nothing on the MBA.

seems like you apply sometime during T1 after taking the GMAT.

MD/MBA: In 2004, the School of Medicine , in conjunction with Tulane's Freeman School of Business has established a 5-year combined MD/MBA Program. Students desiring entry into this program will typically apply to the business school during their first year of medical school after taking the Graduate Management Assessment Test (GMAT). Students accepted into the combined program complete three years of medical school and then complete a full year at the business school. The final year of the program is completed spending a semester at each school. The program aims to train physicians with an appreciation of business practices, commerce, and the market place.

from http://www.som.tulane.edu/departments/admissions/special.html

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish we could get some info on the match list with regard to graduates of the MD/MPH program. People claim that it really gives a leg up for residency, but I'd like to see some hard evidence.

would a current student mind looking at a craiglist listing for me and letting me know if it seems like it's in a relatively safe area/that i wouldn't be getting horribly ripped off? let me know and I'll PM it to you.

I'll give another opinion if you'd like, I'm from NOLA

do you know how many T4's successfully matched (pre-scramble)?
also, is there any info on what % got their top choice, what % got one of their top 3, etc.?

That info is rarely given out. However, you can estimate the number of scramblers by counting how many people matched only to a preliminary or transitional year, and then adding maybe another 5 or so who successfully scrambled into a full residency. There may have been more, but that's a reasonable minimum estimate.

That info is rarely given out. However, you can estimate the number of scramblers by counting how many people matched only to a preliminary or transitional year, and then adding maybe another 5 or so who successfully scrambled into a full residency. There may have been more, but that's a reasonable minimum estimate.

I saw only 1 that was only preliminary ... There were others but they had another result with them..

There were nine who matched only prelim or transitional, by my count.

In your opinion, do you think Tulane does better than the national average as far as matching goes? When you went through interviews, was Tulane well regarded by residency directors? Sorry for all the questions!

I don't have the statistics handy with me but from what I've heard from fellow classmates, upperclassmen, and the T4's that actually matched, Tulane itself carries much weight in its name during matching, hence its students do fairly well. From word of mouth, I heard that maybe 10 students may have had to scramble during this match? But it seems that it isn't uncommon at all and usually more will scramble (I think it occurs usually when people are applying to really competitive residencies such as anesthesiology, derm, or radiology).

Tulane's good reputation seems to be known nationally as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
In your opinion, do you think Tulane does better than the national average as far as matching goes? When you went through interviews, was Tulane well regarded by residency directors? Sorry for all the questions!

Pre-Katrina, yes. Post-Katrina? I think we do far better in medicine than surgery, and that's largely because we have well-connected people in our medicine department whose opinions are respected at top programs. So on the medicine side of things, you see people match maybe better than they really deserve. While on the surgery side of things, you'll see applicants who interview well and have good grades and scores go unmatched.

At least, that's the trend I've seen these last two years.

You can match in any field, from Tulane, and a number of people do match well each year in surgical fields. But on the whole, they don't match as well as they would have in a medicine field. Does that make sense?

Hey future classmates. Has anyone heard much about Deming Pavilion? I went and took a few tours a few weeks ago, and it just looks like the standard college apartment set up. Is this a do or a don't? And if it's a don't, anyone looking for a roommate?

I currently live in Deming. It's not too bad, pretty clean (I think it depends on location of your room with regards to the dumpster) without any roach problems so far and is conveniently close to the school. However, you do get sick of the place within a year because it's kinda run like dorm style. If you're not too picky about where you live, then you may not mind it much.

What I would recommend is that you fly down to search for housing if you would rather live off campus. Otherwise, it may be better to live in Deming for just the first year, or first semester for that matter prior to searching for an official home because it gets really tricky to figure out where the safer areas are in New Orleans without seeing it for yourself.

Deming is actually pricey for its size and you can get a lot more affordable and bigger places off campus but that's usually if you're living with a roommate. There seem to be several decent 3-2's throughout the city. However, I'd highly recommend to make use of the crime maps and seeing the property yourself before signing any lease because New Orleans areas are really unpredictable; you can go from a nice neighborhood on one street to a really crappy one on the next.

Hey--

There are some things I can't quite remember if anybody would care to take a stab at it it'd be greatly appreciated.

1. Is it just P/F or is it the H/HP/P/F/etc.. I thought P/F after Katrina but I don't know if that's true or something I just made up lol

2. How much time do you have second year to do board prep

3. How are rotations during 3rd and 4th year? How many electives etc.. I can't really find a good schedule of them.. just the descriptions.. and wasn't sure where they all fit in when..

4. What is the foundations of medicine course?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.. thanks

Hey PlayMeSomeMusic,

Since I'm only a first year student, I'll give you the bits and pieces that I do actually know.

1. The classes are P/F for the first two years and then during your third and fourth years I believe they rank you in quartiles (so essentially if you're ranking 1 or ranking 25, you'll be in the same quartile).

4. Foundations in Medicine is a course which teaches the various aspects of medicine that are beyond the basic sciences courses. For instance, at Tulane, we're required to perform a certain number of service learning hours (basically volunteer work) which will count towards our grade in Foundations in Medicine. It's actually a good way to get students out of the usual study mode and into the community to get a better idea of what's going on outside of the medical school world.

Other stuff they teach and carry out in Foundations are ethics groups, nutrition sessions, EMS rides, jail visits, and standardized patient sessions.

Hope this helps somewhat!!

Hey PlayMeSomeMusic,

Since I'm only a first year student, I'll give you the bits and pieces that I do actually know.

1. The classes are P/F for the first two years and then during your third and fourth years I believe they rank you in quartiles (so essentially if you're ranking 1 or ranking 25, you'll be in the same quartile).

4. Foundations in Medicine is a course which teaches the various aspects of medicine that are beyond the basic sciences courses. For instance, at Tulane, we're required to perform a certain number of service learning hours (basically volunteer work) which will count towards our grade in Foundations in Medicine. It's actually a good way to get students out of the usual study mode and into the community to get a better idea of what's going on outside of the medical school world.

Other stuff they teach and carry out in Foundations are ethics groups, nutrition sessions, EMS rides, jail visits, and standardized patient sessions.

Hope this helps somewhat!!

Thanks for that info! I'm down in new orleans right now checking it out, and i was wondering if you could give me some more info about how much you all are actually in class? I know one of the schools I'm choosing between is on the 8-12 sched with one afternoon a week w/ a preceptor, which really appeals to me. Any info you can give me would be great!

I think the schedules vary with each semester and day of the week. I believe first semester since we had anatomy lab, we'd be in lab in the mornings and then have like one to two classes in the afternoon. The latest we've ever ended was at 3 but that's not very frequent once you're done with cell biology in the first semester (if there are curriculum changes, this may be different for you guys). At some point in the fall semester, everything ends at 12. If you have something specific for Foundations class that day - like nutrition group session or ethics session - then you may go till like 2:30 or 3.

That and we have a lot of online resources so some students after a certain point just won't even come to class at all because they feel they get more done when they study on their own. I kind of do both when I feel the lecturer is worthwhile listening to. However, attendance is not mandatory so if you're better off at studying on your own, no one's going to stop you.

Preceptoring is done once every block (depending on your specific group's Foundations and your preceptor's schedule) so about once every month. Otherwise, if you wanted to see your preceptor more often, you're more than welcome to do so as long as your preceptor is fine with it.

Overall, I'd say the schedule at Tulane SOM for students is pretty flexible. Tulane really does strive to improve everything for its students.

In second year, I feel we have plenty of time for board studying. This year we end in the beginning of May and most people take Step 1 in late May or June. You're studying all along in spring semester as well, plus you study for the shelf exams which counts as step 1 studying.

(Or you can do things like read message boards for classes you're not even in instead of doing more Qbank questions...but who would do that???)

BUT, the curriculum is changing, beginning with the next incoming class, I think (c/o 2013?). They're rearranging parts of first year, and moving genetics from 2nd to 1st year. I don't know the specifics, but I have heard second year will then end in late March/early April and rotations will start in June rather than July. Don't take my word for it though; just what I've heard.

hey students- does anyone have anymore info on the murphy oil building and what's going to happen for the students. also, where do students typically work out? i'm a huge morning fitness person and would like somewhere i can go early in the morning. thanks!

hey students- does anyone have anymore info on the murphy oil building and what's going to happen for the students. also, where do students typically work out? i'm a huge morning fitness person and would like somewhere i can go early in the morning. thanks!

the letter they sent out about a month ago said that the SOM would start moving there (classes and all) in may. so it seems we'll be there almost the whole time. also, there's supposed to be a workout facility in the murphy oil building, which is supposed to be top notch and obviously much more convenient than riley (undergrad campus where we also get free fitness privileges).

the letter they sent out about a month ago said that the SOM would start moving there (classes and all) in may. so it seems we'll be there almost the whole time. also, there's supposed to be a workout facility in the murphy oil building, which is supposed to be top notch and obviously much more convenient than riley (undergrad campus where we also get free fitness privileges).

Yeah, I heard the same thing about classes all moving to poydras, all except for anatomy, which I think will still be in the old med school building while our class is disecting cadavers.

Yeah, I heard the same thing about classes all moving to poydras, all except for anatomy, which I think will still be in the old med school building while our class is disecting cadavers.

So does that mean 1st and 2nd year classes are going to be there, or just one of the two years?

I'm pretty sure the building on Poydras and the Murphy Oil building aren't the same thing? What I heard is that the classes will be moved to the Murphy Oil building? :confused:

Last I heard (yesterday, from one of the deans), T1s will be in the main auditorium in 1430 (old med school). T2s will be in the new auditorium in 1555 Poydras. Everything currently on 10th floor of Poydras (student lounge, admissions, deans) is moving to the Murphy building soon. As more space is completed in the Murphy building, I think more things will move over there, like auditoriums for classes I guess.

do they look at our personal statement (from the MD app) when you apply for MD/MPH? my personal statement covers a lot of my public health goals, so I was thinking about using parts of it for my career statement (yes, I know it's due today)

I am a MSIII at LSU -NO and know a guy that wants me to advertise some houses for rent/ sale That would be perfect for a group of incoming 1st yr med students:

6771Marshall Foch
4 Bedroom 2Bathroom
$1900 p/month Call 504 908 8881
Too many amenities to list. This house is on a premier street in Lakeview. This section of Marshall Foch is back with many kids, neighbors etc. Very safe and not your typical street.
Deck in back, nice yard with shade huge tree, play or entertainment room, office, formal dining. Everything is brand new in this house! Awesome kitchen all granite custom cabinets and all stainless steel appliances. Note on this house is well over $1900. We are leasing for less so we can hold until market rebounds….

6951 Louis XIV
4 Bedroom 2Bathroom
For Sale or Lease
Sale Price $287,000
$2050 p/month Call 504 908 8881
Too many amenities to list. This house is on a premier street in Lakeview. This section of Lakeview is back with many kids and families, neighbors etc. Very safe and not your typical street.
Huge Backyard, almost the size of another lot. Huge tree, play or entertainment room, office, formal dining. Everything is brand new in this house! Awesome kitchen all granite custom cabinets and all stainless steel appliances.

5386 Fleur De Lis
5 Bedroom 4 Bathroom
$420,000 Purchase
$2900 p/month 504 908 8881
Too many amenities to list. This house is on a premier street in Lakewood and was valued at over $600,000 pre Katrina.
Deck in back, nice yard with shade, media room, play or entertainment room, office, formal dining, library etc. Everything is brand new in this house! Awesome kitchen all granite custom cabinets and all stainless steel appliances. Note on this house is well over $2900. Great Pad for Medical Students, close to downtown hospitals and uptown boozing.

I can probably arrange to get pics emailed if interested.

my email:

[email protected]
or PM me here and I can get you in touch with landlord.

for current MD/MPH students,
which core MPH classes do you recommend taking online? which should definitely be taken in the classroom?

Is anyone concerned about housing? I'm currently abroad and I'm not sure how to do this apartment hunting thing from Asia. Should I fly down two weeks before orientation and try to find a place? Or should I secure a place without having seen it? What are the rest of you doing? Any advice would be great!

I just replied to your PM. I can send you a picture of each house if interested but I need an email addy b/c I can't remember how to post pics. Houses are all safe. New Orleans isn't as bad as you see in the media. I mean, there IS crime...but mostly thug vs. thug, wrong neighborhood type stuff.

Is anyone concerned about housing? I'm currently abroad and I'm not sure how to do this apartment hunting thing from Asia. Should I fly down two weeks before orientation and try to find a place? Or should I secure a place without having seen it? What are the rest of you doing? Any advice would be great!

I would highly recommend that you actually see the place rather than just sign a lease without looking at it. I did that prior to matriculation and it turned into a huge fiasco resulting in me and the girl who was to be my roommate back then in losing our deposits. The place looked decent online but not so in person according to her (she'd arrived two months before I did).

If you really want to live off campus (as opposed to Deming), then I'd say either ask an upperclassman who's planning on moving out or just come in person and see the places yourself. New Orleans is a pretty old city so the houses around town are also pretty old as well so you gotta be really careful when looking around.

That and the safety of the areas really vary sporadically.

How early would you recommend going down to NO to look at places to live?

I don't know if anyone mentioned this already, but if you are going to be here over the summer before T1 (if you're doing MPH or anything), I would highly recommend subleasing a place for the summer. Then you have time to actually go see other places and really meet landlords and check out the locations before you sign a year-long lease. I got stuck in a kind of crappy place for a while when I moved a couple years ago because I just didn't have time to look before I moved down. There are plenty of subleases that will be available - PM me if you want me to pass on any of this millions on our listserve.

Anyone get their financial aid package yet?

Sorry to clutter your forum with this, but if anyone needs a place for June or July (either or both), we have a room we want to sublease.

3br/2ba, new stainless steel kitchen, w/d, lots of space, lots of windows. Rent is ~$580 per person. Roommates are me (will be studying for boards through June 10, then starting third year July 7) and Chris, a current T1 (I think he will just be hanging around all summer). We're both MD/MPH, tropical medicine. It's about a mile from school and also close to the gym. Here are some pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2364341&l=6bd89&id=4909290

PM or email me ([email protected]) with more questions if you're interested.

Trying this again: does anyone need a roommate for this coming school year? Looking at apartments in the 450-750 per person per month range. I have some options in mind already (including a very nice 500/month place I lived in last semester) but I´m also open to options. I´m also trying to do this from abroad, so it is kinda tough.

even though it's been asked, I wanted to ask again. What MD/MPH class do you recommend taking online? And, can I take any of the MPH classes online during the summer? How do I find out? I'm abroad but will be home for the summer. I want to be able to get a head start on the MPH but still see my family before moving to NOLA. Thanks!

Hey guys!

I just got moved off the "acceptable range"!! I thought my fate had been sealed but my persistence (borderline harassment) finally paid off! I'm in Africa doing my MPH internship until July 20 so I'm going to have to hit the ground running when I get home. Any suggestions on finding a quick place to live? Also, is there a website with all the information for entering students. I feel so rushed now..

Can't wait to meet all of you in August!!

congrats!

I just talked with dr. beckman and she said shed be emailing the housing site later this week or next. hopefully we get more info soon about orientation

Thanks for the link! Does anyone know anything about the real estate market in New Orleans?? I was planning on buying a condo if I stayed in Bham because it's a good place to invest in downtown real estate. I don't know if that's the same for New Orleans. I may have difficulties talking my parents into signing a mortgage with me there. Plus, since Tulane is so much more expensive than UAB I don't know if it will even be an option. Advice anyone??

Hello Class of 2012! I also got off the acceptance range and will be looking for a place to stay... Have we missed much in terms of paperwork, health clearance, email addresses, etc???? I don't really know what to do next! Looking forward to meeting you all soon though!!
:)

I would highly recommend that you actually see the place rather than just sign a lease without looking at it. I did that prior to matriculation and it turned into a huge fiasco resulting in me and the girl who was to be my roommate back then in losing our deposits. The place looked decent online but not so in person according to her (she'd arrived two months before I did).

If you really want to live off campus (as opposed to Deming), then I'd say either ask an upperclassman who's planning on moving out or just come in person and see the places yourself. New Orleans is a pretty old city so the houses around town are also pretty old as well so you gotta be really careful when looking around.

That and the safety of the areas really vary sporadically.

Do not make the mistake of living in Deming. There are tons of incredible housing options in a variety of neighborhoods, all reasonably close to the medical school (biking distance). Where you live completely depends on your personality.
I have lived in 2 neighborhoods (Mid-City and Central City) and found both places on craigslist. Central City is pretty gangstagrillz, but it's real. There is no "safe" place to live, so you have to be smart about where you are and what you're doing at all times.

I just heard on Tuesday and am so unbelievably excited...does anybody currently live in Boston? If so, I would love to meet up and get to know some of my new classmates!

Congrats to everyone!

If an applicant is not in your top group of applicants, why do you offer them a scholarship off the waitlist? Any Insight?

Tulane was basically my first choice from the second I decided I wanted to be a doctor, but I was waitlisted. Full Scholarship to my state school, acceptance to 2 top 10 schools, but no love from Tulane.

Phone call from Dr. Beckman monday @ 9:30 am offering me a place in the class/ scholarship at the same time. Did this happen to anyone else? Is this strange?