Tulane SOM Class of 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does everyone sooner or later receive one of these financial aid letters? I haven't received anything like that in the mail, but no one ever told me to expect one either.

Members don't see this ad.

Does everyone sooner or later receive one of these financial aid letters? I haven't received anything like that in the mail, but no one ever told me to expect one either.

Did you fill out your FAFSA and send it to Tulane? Did you fill out the addendum? If you did all this, you should call FinAid right away, I think those of us who didn't get in off the waitlist probably got ours in early May. It's somewhat of a process because you have to fill out paperwork through your lender as well, so you should call about this as soon as possible.

On an unrelated note, how good of a bargain is the AMSA book sale? For example, if the list price for Netter's is $75, how much would it probably be used at the book sale? I'm trying to figure out if I should just buy the essentials online now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello future classmates...... I m looking for a roommate for a lower garden district condo. Its a great safe neighborhood (close to restaurants, shops, bars, etc..). Rent is $1050 including all ulilities (electric, cable, internet, condo fees). Here is the craigslist post. If anyone is interested contact me through craigslist.

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/roo/737849686.html

Where could I find this to set up my email? the webmail website on the school page is down, or I can't access it. Thanks!

the Tulane Help desk at (504) 862-8888 or toll free (866) 276-1428 are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

I was told today by Ms. Joia that we can't set up an email account until August 5th. She said, via email, to just fill in my contact email wherever I am asked for a Tulane email address.

I had been trying to call the Help Desk to set it up but they couldn't find me anywhere in the system because I am not actually registered for any classes yet.

Hope this helps.

For those who have been accepted off the waitlist in the past month -- has anyone received any information yet? I'm being told that I'm still not even in the system (my deposit was in by June 16), so financial aid hasn't been able to start on my package. I'm getting nervous! Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

I have not yet received any packet yet. I too had to call twice bc the first time, I was also not in the system yet. They have begun processing (I hope), I tried calling this week to get a status bc I don't want to cram all the paperwork right before I make the big move but getting ahold of someone in fin aid via phone is pretty tough, I always get the vm, and no one calls me back :( so I guess we just sit tight and hope they are getting done! Anyone else from the waitlist having the same problem???? Has anyone from the WL actually gotten their award letter yet??

I was accepted off the waitlist in late May, and I called the fin aid office last week and was able to talk with someone, who was really really nice btw.
They basically said that if you submitted fafsa and addendaum, then you are fine. They are just reviewing documents and doing some extra work they need to do, which takes a long time they said.
He also said that you are most likely to receive bunch of loans, however much you need to cover your cost of attendance, and pretty much no grant unless you get a merit-based scholarship, which is very limited in Tulane he said.
He said you don't need to pay tuition fee on the orientation day so don't worry about it and fin aid is awarded couple weeks after class starts anyway.
I guess all we can do is just sit and wait. =)

Ok, here's the deal. I've experienced the pain that is Tulane's Financial Aid office, since I was a masters student last year. They are very courteous, but don't expect anything they process to be on time, ever. If you want something now, you are going to have to call 5 times a day to get it. 70% of the time they don't answer the phone and emails are rarely answered within 5 days or receipt. I got off the waitlist and I actually have my financial letter after hours of calling and pleading.

Once you get the letter and start to work with them, things can also be dicey. If there are ever any problems with your aid, don't wait for them to fix it. Call your lender and take matters into your own hands. I wish someone had told me this at the time.

Anyway, chances are most of you will have no problems except for the annoyance of constant tardiness on their part. If you can deal with that, you'll be fine.

I've been waiting for my award letter since May. I've called about four times since then trying to get an idea of when it would be completed. I emailed my FinAid counselor (listed by your last name on their website) and he was very prompt about emailing me back.

I asked for an estimate on the type of loans I'd receive so I could make plans for my expected interest, consolidation, etc. Here's the breakdown he told me that I could expect. I'm your average middle-class guy, btw.

$ 8,500 subsidized Stafford Loan
32,000 unsubsidized Stafford Loan
26,124 Graduate PLUS loan.

I think the Stafford loans are fixed at 6.8% and the Graduate PLUS loan will be at 8.5%

Thanks for the feedback, guys -- I'm glad I'm not alone! Everyone in Admissions and Financial Aid has been super kind and helpful, and have assured me that everything will be processed in time. I think they were in the process of physically moving offices last week, so I'm sure everything is extra busy right now. I'm sure we'll all be fine ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
The class schedule website lists our exam schedule. Judging by this schedule it looks to me like we will have Anatomy and Cellular/Biochemistry from August through October and then Anatomy, Histology, and Physiology from November through the end of the semester. Does that sound correct? Is there only one exam each for Physio and Histo?

Just looking for a clear understanding as I decide what books to buy.

The class schedule website lists our exam schedule. Judging by this schedule it looks to me like we will have Anatomy and Cellular/Biochemistry from August through October and then Anatomy, Histology, and Physiology from November through the end of the semester. Does that sound correct? Is there only one exam each for Physio and Histo?

Just looking for a clear understanding as I decide what books to buy.

Hey! Welcome to Tulane! Check my post a page or two back in this thread, I listed the changes to your curriculum. I also address the temptation to buy books early...

Also, referencing the schedule posted at http://www.som.tulane.edu/courses.html you will see that the last Anatomy exam is 24 Nov, which should coincide with Thanksgiving. After that you will begin Histo/Physio, which will have multiple exams extending into the Spring Semester. Right now they just have the Fall Semester schedule up so you only see the 1st exams for Physio/Histo which will be before the winter holidays.

Hope that helps!

Anyone getting these study aides from the 3rd and 2nd years?

Last edited:
Anyone getting these study aides from the 3rd and 2nd years?

I purchased them -- it sounds like they are a pretty fair price for what you get. I haven't been able to view them yet, however.

I also bought the 37$ PO's... I feel a little weird that they arn't official which I found out today.

I guess I'll wait until orientation to buy anything else that comes my way!

I also bought the 37$ PO's... I feel a little weird that they arn't official which I found out today.

I guess I'll wait until orientation to buy anything else that comes my way!

I'm so confused -- it sounds like the T3 notes I just bought are actually included in the official, sanctioned notes from this year's T2s. The T3 who sent the e-mail advised anyone who bought the T3 noteset to "look for a refund" -- what does that mean? Shouldn't they just offer us a refund? It sounds like there was some miscommunication between the classes...

I talked to a second year and she said that this Eddie guy isn't exactly on the up and up.
He's just offering his note sets at a ridiculous (IMO) price. She said that he was actually fired from the note taking service last year. Just what I heard through the grapevine.

My thoughts are to wait until school actually starts. See what books are good, see what note sets are good.
The only reason people would "graciously" offer notes to over-eager M1s BEFORE school starts is because that is the easiest way to make a fast buck on a product that may not merit it.
If the note sets are actually good, buy them the 2nd day of class.

Is anyone else confused about our schedule and curriculum?

The Owl Club Book List names books from:

• Anatomy
  • Biochemistry
  • Embryology
  • Histology
  • Immunology
  • Microbiology
  • Neuroanatomy
  • Pathology
  • Pharmacology
  • Physiology
The Courses and Schedules website lists our exams in only:

• Anatomy
  • Cell/Biochemistry
  • Physiology
  • Histology
  • Biochemistry of Disease
  • Neuroscience
  • Inflammation
Does anyone understand this discrepancy?

Here's the skinny, folks:
1) There is apparently an "Official 1st Year Guide" being put together by the Noteservice. Previously, old classes just sold their notes to the incoming class. But this year, what we've been told is that our class and the T3s put together a study pack that is specifically designed for your new curriculum. Be aware that our curriculum and the T3's was virtually identical with most of the same course directors, but yours has changed significantly. Any offers from individual T2s or T3s to sell you their notes or last year's notes are unsanctioned and will not correspond with your new curriculum. The new "official study pack" will probably (but not certainly) be offered to you by whoever is in charge of your Noteservice or by the director of ours, Dustyn Williams. We've received an email from Dustyn telling us not to sell old notes or study guides, but individuals will do as they please, I'm sure. I'd wait for the official pack as it has been designed with the help of your new course directors. But wait to read that they are from the official Noteservice and that is how you will kno they are legit. I think Dustyn/Noteservice may have already emailed you to clarify this. He/Noteservice is legit. If you already bought them from individuals (T3s or T2s) and feel robbed now (understandably) I'd email them you want a refund and if they refuse tell them you'll email the Dean, b/c what they did is unsanctioned.

2) The Owl Club book list is written for 1st AND 2nd years, that is why it includes books for classes you won't be taking this year, eg pathology, micro, etc. Like I said in earlier posts on this thread, you should really WAIT TO BUY YOUR BOOKS until you get here. It's tempting and exciting now, but you will waste your money. August-Nov you will be taking Anatomy and Cell Bio/Biochem. look at your exams here, http://www.som.tulane.edu/courses.html even if you can't log on to the schedule yet, you can see the exams...these are the ONLY classes you will be taking this fall!! (& FiM of course, but no texts or tests there) Def wait to buy Physio/Histo since you wont be starting that til Dec.

3) Remember a ice-chest and beer for the tubing trip. No glass bottles or styrofoam coolers on the river. I suggest Coors Light with cold-activated cans, the blue mountains means it's refreshing.

Does anyone from the previous classes have any idea about what our weekly schedule will look like? I have a wedding to go to in my home town on the weekend of the 16th. I am thinking about going home on Friday evening but the latest direct flight is at 5 pm. Taking commute into consideration along with a general idea of class schedule, does anyone know if I would be able to make this flight without missing class. Would you advise catching a morning flight on Saturday?

Looking to get off on the right foot.

Does anyone from the previous classes have any idea about what our weekly schedule will look like? I have a wedding to go to in my home town on the weekend of the 16th. I am thinking about going home on Friday evening but the latest direct flight is at 5 pm. Taking commute into consideration along with a general idea of class schedule, does anyone know if I would be able to make this flight without missing class. Would you advise catching a morning flight on Saturday?

Looking to get off on the right foot.

Schedule for Friday, August 15:

9-9:50am: Anatomy lecture
10-10:50am: Anatomy lab
2-2:50pm: Cell Bio

is embryo a part of anatomy?
yes.

bazooka said:
9-9:50am: Anatomy lecture
10-10:50am: Anatomy lab
2-2:50pm: Cell Bio
so yah, even if you have to miss this one class, just get the notes and you'll be fine! By second semester, people were taking 4 day weekends w/o worrying about it. As long as you can get the notes you'll be fine!

Last edited:

the Tulane Help desk at (504) 862-8888 or toll free (866) 276-1428 are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

we are all in the system now (you can check by searching for your name on the tulane.edu phonebook). call the number above to activate your email.

What's everyone think about the guidebook.. I'm not sure to buy or not to buy and we only have till Monday. I was hoping to be able to ask previous students if they thought it was worth it to buy it or not before I spent the 200 dollars on it.

What's everyone think about the guidebook.. I'm not sure to buy or not to buy and we only have till Monday. I was hoping to be able to ask previous students if they thought it was worth it to buy it or not before I spent the 200 dollars on it.

Uh oh, I don't think I received any information about this (just a mention from the T3, Drew, that the T2s would be making a noteset available at some point). Is today a deadline?

Uh oh, I don't think I received any information about this (just a mention from the T3, Drew, that the T2s would be making a noteset available at some point). Is today a deadline?

the first orders had to be placed by monday but they said you can still get them. ill post the website if no one else does when I get to nola and settled.