Tulane vs Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drglass

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've narrowed down my acceptances to these two. I'm pursuing an MD/MPH degree and am hoping to end up at a school that will advance an international career and where I will be the happiest! Thanks for any advice.

Tulane
Pros
  • 4 year MD/MPH (could save a year of school and graduate with my class)
  • many, many student run health clinics
  • very student happiness oriented
  • very social student body
  • NOLA is very cultural/exciting

Cons
  • aspects of NOLA are rough
  • far from friends/family/east coast
  • pricey tuition
  • i've heard the school can seem disorganized at times

Georgetown
Pros
  • DC location (close to int'l organizations/connected to east coast)
  • MPH at Johns Hopkins (#1 program in country) (tho logistics of this move might be hard)
  • support system: close to friends/family
  • place 85% of students into 1st or 2nd choice match

Cons
  • pricey!! living alone is unaffordable
  • guinea pig class to new curriculum
  • quality of learning facilities?
  • student run clinic seems hard to get involved in compared with Tulane

Summary: Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at both places and found Tulane/Nola to be very exciting ! If you know for sure that you want to do an MD/MPH then doing it in 4 years will be awesome in terms of time and cost. And I think Tulane also has a good public health program and Nola is a great place for experiences/opportunities in public health.

Georgetown on the other hand is higher ranked but honestly students did not seem too happy on my interview day. If you have been in the area all your life and want a change, Nola will be refreshing and the weather will be a welcome change compared to the east coast. I think both schools are pretty much equally pricey. Basically boils to what is more important to you. Good Luck!

I interviewed at both places and found Tulane/Nola to be very exciting ! If you know for sure that you want to do an MD/MPH then doing it in 4 years will be awesome in terms of time and cost. And I think Tulane also has a good public health program and Nola is a great place for experiences/opportunities in public health.

Georgetown on the other hand is higher ranked but honestly students did not seem too happy on my interview day. If you have been in the area all your life and want a change, Nola will be refreshing and the weather will be a welcome change compared to the east coast. I think both schools are pretty much equally pricey. Basically boils to what is more important to you. Good Luck!
tulane for the 65 k you will save by not having to pay an extra year of tuition for your mph. FYI the mph tuition alone at hopkins is over 60k...

Thank you for your reply! 4 year MD/MPH is definitely killer, and I'm going to Georgetown's second look day so hopefully will be able to determine how happy students are :)

Members don't see this ad :)
tulane for the 65 k you will save by not having to pay an extra year of tuition for your mph. FYI the mph tuition alone at hopkins is over 60k...

Yes I believe that is because it is an 80 credit MPH, whereas most other 1-year MPH programs are only around 40 credits. Double the credits, double the cost unfortunately...I'm just wondering if the name recognition is worth it for an international job. Thank you for your response!

Thank you for your reply! 4 year MD/MPH is definitely killer, and I'm going to Georgetown's second look day so hopefully will be able to determine how happy students are :)
Ok please share how you feel about the second look, I am also curious to know more about Georgetown.

Reactions: 1 user
Not biased at all here, but I say Tulane... so I can get off the WL at Georgetown

To be serious though, I'd say the 4 year MD/MPH at Tulane would be really hard to pass up because I'd like to that as well. Also their tropical medicine is nifty

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile