Tulane vs Jefferson vs Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MF

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.... been lurking around for a while now. I've got a question for you. I'm a NY state resident, and I've been accepted to Tulane, and interviewed at Jefferson and will be interviewing at Tufts. I can't seem to get a priority list together to decide where to go. Anyone have anything that can help me?
thanks
MF

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted at Tufts and Tulane. I think they're both great places, but I felt like the students were much happier at Tulane than at Tufts. The curriculum at Tufts is more traditional--lots of sitting in lectures. Boston is great, but I love New Orleans also. Everyone I talked to at Tulane seemed very happy, and I got the impression the students study and play together there. I can't give you any info on Jefferson.

I'm a first year at Tufts and have mostly good things to say about it; don't know much about the other schools. But as a side note, Tufts is doing a major overhaul on the curriculum next year, with classes from 8-12:30, PBL and labs in the afternoons (though not every day), and a modified block system where students take 2 interrelated classes at once in blocks throughout the semester. I think this is a great improvement over the current 9-5 day (which really isn't 9-5 if you know which classes are worth attending and which aren't). As far as reputation and location, I think Tufts has the edge over both Tulane and Jefferson. I don't know about student happiness at the other schools, but I would say that the students are generally happy here. Your decision will probably depend on your impressions at interviews and which city you like best (Boston, New Orleans, or Philly). Everyone has a different opinion on this, but I definitely recommend attending the interviews at Tufts and Jefferson. All 3 are very good schools. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replys!....... anybody else have an idea?

Tufts: i would go to Tufts. isnt much closer to your home? also, i think that tufts is ranked much higher and is much more recognized then tulane. dont get me wrong, i think tulane is great too, but if i had the choice, i would pick tufts. aslo, tufts is one of the oldest med schools around (i think i read that someplace) maybe that's why its much more recognized. anyways, you gotta decide soon. good luck and let us know what you decide.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by MF:
•Hey guys.... been lurking around for a while now. I've got a question for you. I'm a NY state resident, and I've been accepted to Tulane, and interviewed at Jefferson and will be interviewing at Tufts. I can't seem to get a priority list together to decide where to go. Anyone have anything that can help me?
thanks
MF•••••If I were you, I'd go to Tulane. According to the quote above, it's your only option right now anyway, right?

Welcome, lurker!!! :D Tulane, hands down., if you can stand the heat and humidity (would have been a big problem for me). I've interviewed at all three. Tufts is just waaaay too expensive. Jefferson did not impress me, seemed stodgy. Tulane students are the happiest.