TUNCOM vs MUCOM vs AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CLAF211

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Feeling torn. Currently accepted to both MUCOM and TUNCOM, and have scheduled an interview in 2 weeks at AZCOM.

Some important and attractive changes to TUNCOM coming up: the new dean (formerly of KCUMB) seems to be implementing some great new programs: all of 4th year will be electives, creation of an "honors" track for students doing well who think they may want to go into a competitive specialty (gets you into that specialty earlier than otherwise would happen), movement towards a systems-based curriculum (which MUCOM already has, and I think I'd like), increased movement towards fostering research ops for students longer than just a couple months.

MUCOM seems to have some solid ward-based rotations, though, which I think is an asset. I'm turned off by the limit on audition rotations, though, as a blatant policy versus advising each student on a case-by-case basis. I like my autonomy.

My primary concerns are solid rotations (per a friend at TUNCOM, lack of inpatient/ward rotations is the biggest con experienced) and being somewhere that supports me and sets me up for success in a competitive specialty if I choose to pursue one. Primary care is obviously important, but I don't want to feel like I don't have the administration's support if I feel a specialty is what I want to do.

All schools are a plane ride from home and cost isn't really a turnoff (except for potentially AZCOM, but look at their match lists!). I just want to put myself on the best possible path to get the highest quality education I can!

Your thoughts? All are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Just pedantics really but the new dean of TUNCOM was only the clinical rotations dean of KCU not the full dean (who is Dr. Dubin).

MUCOM and TUN are still fairly new while azcom is very much established. If the cost is to much of an influence I personally choose MU TUN simply because the clinal rotations are stronger and there seems to be more of a research hub in that area than TUN.

If you can deal with the financial blow, Id go with AZCOM.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Among these, I would def pick AZCOM if you get in.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the thoughts so far! @AlteredScale I didn't mean to imply he was the dean, just meant to indicate he was coming from KCUMB. I got the feeling that he's taking things that worked at KCU and plans to roll them out at TUN.

Any more thoughts? Is AZCOM really that preferable over TUNCOM?

Thanks for the thoughts so far! @AlteredScale I didn't mean to imply he was the dean, just meant to indicate he was coming from KCUMB. I got the feeling that he's taking things that worked at KCU and plans to roll them out at TUN.

Any more thoughts? Is AZCOM really that preferable over TUNCOM?
Seeing is believing. My experience interacting with the students and faculty was that AZCOM has a more proactive vibe.

Despite SDNs unfounded love for MUCOM, it's still a new school and not proven to be worth a damn yet.

You're interviewing for a wait list spot at AZCOM at this point and it does not move much (unless you have a stellar MCAT. They have a massive hard on for high MCATs).

TUNCOM is okay. When I interviewed there it was a pretty depressing atmosphere. But anyway.

AZCOM >>>>>>>> TUNCOM >> MUCOM.

Reactions: 1 user