turning down interviews..when?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdurfa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

was wondering when/why one should start turning down interviews? i was recently invited for an interview at hopkins for early/mid feb. i know its pretty late in the season and they ARE rolling, but also - i dont think i realistically have much of a shot there anyhow. but at the same time, i am not currently holding any acceptances.

any advice?

disclaimer: i know there are many without interviews and my intention is, of course, not to undermine such a situation by potentially wanting to turn down an interview at a prestigious school - so PLEASE dont flame me on that. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

besides the complete lunacy of turning down an interview at HOPKINS, if you don't want to go to school there, then don't bother interviewing.

its not really a tough decision, dude. Would you like to go there or not? If not, then don't bother, if you wouldn't mind going if it were the only place you got in, then go.

But ****, if nothing else just do it so you can say you interviewed at Hopkins, lol.

Personally, I don't think its a good idea to turn down any interview if you don't have a back-up plan i.e. an acceptance somewhere else.
Go, it wouldn't hurt you in any way. Getting an interview signifies that you have a 33% or 50% (however you look at it) chance of getting in - you never know, it could be your lucky shot.

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont think i realistically have much of a shot there anyhow.

If Hopkins didn't think you had a shot, they wouldn't waste their valuable time and resources by inviting you to interview at their school.

No disrespect to you, but even if you don't think you have a shot, your opinion doesn't really matter:p It's up to Hopkins, and they seem to be leaning in your favor.

You dont turn down an interview until you have a acceptance to a school you'd rather go to instead. And even then I say, interview at all the schools you get an invitation from. You never know one place might offer you a scholarship while another doesn't.

don't go. you don't deserve it.

j/k. even if you don't want to go there, go to the interview to meet the type of people that do want to go there, and then report back to sdn.

don't go. you don't deserve it.

j/k. even if you don't want to go there, go to the interview to meet the type of people that do want to go there, and then report back to sdn.
lol...taking one for the team huh ;)

As others have said, you have as much chance as anyone else who is offered an interview in February. And schools don't continue to interview if there's basically no chance for any further candidates to be accepted. That would be a waste.

I would never turn down an interview offer from a great school if I didn't have a great acceptance somewhere else. And with no acceptance yet? You would kill yourself later on if you didn't end up getting accepted anywhere else.