TMDSAS: Turn down acceptance and reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IamDO26

Reaction score
I understand this is a common topic but I am attempting to look at it through TMDSAS exclusively.

I have received admittance to a medical school that costs 30k+ more than all other TX medical schools. Additionally, it is not fully accredited. They have no associated hospitals and clinical rotations will be located all over a large portion of the state, which is a very large area in TX.

I am curious how it would look if I dropped and reapplied. I like the idea because it would allow me to remain on waitlists until school started. I also feel like I have a better application.. I took my second MCAT in July and didn’t get the score back until August which is arguably on the late side for TMDSAS. I have continued with non clinical volunteering and have added over 150 hours and added 100 hours of research. I am about to start volunteering at a hospital in my home town to add some clinical hours.

This wasn’t my initial plan, my premed advisor recommended that I look into it. She believes I could get into one of the cheaper, more established schools. She says she has seen a student do this before and be successful.

How would this look through TMDSAS. I’m assuming every school would know that I have applied and been accepted. Would I be immediately thrown out due to that? Would I have the opportunity to explain my reasoning? I feel like I know so much more about the application process now, having gone through it, and could improve upon a lot in a reapp. Both by adding hours and rewriting essays.

I have not done anything yet. I am seeking help before making any decisions. I am aware that this is a huge decision that could greatly impact my future. It is not something I’m taking lightly.

Members don't see this ad.

I understand this is a common topic but I am attempting to look at it through TMDSAS exclusively.

I have received admittance to a medical school that costs 30k+ more than all other TX medical schools. Additionally, it is not fully accredited. They have no associated hospitals and clinical rotations will be located all over a large portion of the state, which is a very large area in TX.

I am curious how it would look if I dropped and reapplied. I like the idea because it would allow me to remain on waitlists until school started. I also feel like I have a better application.. I took my second MCAT in July and didn’t get the score back until August which is arguably on the late side for TMDSAS. I have continued with non clinical volunteering and have added over 150 hours and added 100 hours of research. I am about to start volunteering at a hospital in my home town to add some clinical hours.

This wasn’t my initial plan, my premed advisor recommended that I look into it. She believes I could get into one of the cheaper, more established schools. She says she has seen a student do this before and be successful.

How would this look through TMDSAS. I’m assuming every school would know that I have applied and been accepted. Would I be immediately thrown out due to that? Would I have the opportunity to explain my reasoning? I feel like I know so much more about the application process now, having gone through it, and could improve upon a lot in a reapp. Both by adding hours and rewriting essays.

I have not done anything yet. I am seeking help before making any decisions. I am aware that this is a huge decision that could greatly impact my future. It is not something I’m taking lightly.
You can DM me the details to discuss

Reactions: 1 user