Tuskegee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DVM2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to Tuskegee!!! Unfortunately I was unable to see Auburn where the students live but I will be returning to the area before school starts to find housing. I came from a much larger undergrad and I am a little concerned with how small and isolated Tuskegee is. What do the Tuskegee vet students do for fun when they are not studying? Is it difficult to meet other graduate students at Tuskegee or Auburn? I didn't get to hear much from the student body so I am looking for input!! Thanks :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I was recently accepted to Tuskegee!!! Unfortunately I was unable to see Auburn where the students live but I will be returning to the area before school starts to find housing. I came from a much larger undergrad and I am a little concerned with how small and isolated Tuskegee is. What do the Tuskegee vet students do for fun when they are not studying? Is it difficult to meet other graduate students at Tuskegee or Auburn? I didn't get to hear much from the student body so I am looking for input!! Thanks :laugh:

hello can u inform me about the clinical residency in tukegee ,,i want to join the system ,,,i am from egypt new graduated vet.

I am a student at AU so I can't tell you much about the school but I do know that a lot of the Tuskegee students live in Auburn and tend to spend there free time in the Auburn area. I don't think you will have any problems making friends. Everyone I know that goes to Tuskegee are really nice and fun people to hang out with. And the veterinary students tend to be a pretty close nit group.

If you are coming from a large city and/or larger university you may have some culture shock. Auburn is a pretty small town but don't be discourage its a wonderful place. You just have to work a little harder to find good entertainment.

Most people are pretty outdoorsy. Free time is spent horseback riding, going to the dog park, or spending the afternoon at Tuskegee National Forest or Chawakala State park. Auburn isn't very far from Logan Martin lake or the gulf coast if you like the beach.

There are plenty of bars down town but if none of those suit you, Auburn isn't very far from Birmingham, Atlanta, Montgomery or Columbus. It is also nice to be close to those cities to go shopping, go to concerts, etc.

I have a friend who is an upper classmen at Tuskegee vet school if you would like her email so you can ask more specific questions that I can't answer for you. Just let me know, I will be glad to pass it along.

Congratulations on your acceptance and good luck next year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello and Welcome to the TUSVM family!

I am currently a third year student at Tuskegee's vet school. So I can give you a little insight on what it is like here.

AUgirl is right, there are many TUSVM students that live in Auburn. However, all of us don't live there. Deciding on which town to live in really depends on the student. Some live in Tuskegee, some in Auburn, we even have people that commute from Columbus, GA or Montgomery, AL. It really just depends on what you are looking for.

I can say this though. It is easier to live closer to the school during your clinic years (3rd and 4th year). You have long hours in the clinic, surgery dogs to take care of, and you never know when you will be called in for a case. I had a few classmates move from Auburn to Tuskegee this year because they knew they would be at school all the time anyway. BUT Auburn has Walmart, Movies, and more places go out to eat and hang out. So it is up to you.

Please realize though this is vet school and not undergrad. There isn't much time for hanging out. Especially first year. You will probably be spending all of your time in the "pit". That is what we call our anatomy lab, but make sure not to call it that in front of the professors, lol. :laugh:

Most students will tell you, that they have never studied this much in their lives!! We spend so much time studying, that when we are not studying we feel guilty and are thinking about studying. It is a weird feeling, but it is a normal adjustment first year.

Tuskegee is a small, rural town with not too much going on. Which is not really all that bad considering you will most of your time in the lab or in your books (if you think I am kidding, I can put you in contact with some of our first years). But when we have the time, the vet students make their own fun. Our parties are legendary around here. We don't get many chances to cut loose, so when we do, we do it big. :D If parties are not your thing, there are other things to do. My classmates and I just went Kayaking yesterday. We don't get much free time, but by third year you learn to manage you time well. Most of us went home after that and studied.

Since we are such a small school, everyone pretty much knows everyone. I am proud to say that AUgirl is also right in saying we are a pretty tight nit group. We look at TUSVM as more of a family. Your classmates begin to feel like your brothers and sisters. Class pride (and rivalry) is a big thing here. For some it is a tough adjustment, but you will soon be identified by your class. People may not know your name, but they know you are a 2014er. The class begins to develop an identity of it's own.

When you first get here you will go to Veterinary Leadership Experience (VLE). That will be your first chance to get to know your classmates and the class of 2013. You will be assigned a "Big" from the Class of 2013. This is a student that is there to be like a big bother/big sister and help you get adjusted to TUSVM life.

It's not hard meeting people since we do have school events, in which all the vet school students are mixed up.

This year we implemented a program called "Building Bridges". This program which was designed to bring the vet students from Tuskegee and Auburn together. We had a big party at the beginning of last semester and it went well. I believe the program will continue next year. The previous year students from Auburn and Tuskegee road a bus together to the SAVMA (you will learn what this is when you get here) Symposium in Cincinnati. We competed in a few sporting activities together and got to know each other pretty well. I don't know what the history is between the two schools, but I know right now the students at both are pretty cool with each other.

This post is long enough, so I won't keep going, lol. I hope I answered most of you questions. If you have anymore please feel free to hit me up.

Congratulations and Welcome!!!! :D:)

hey guys, i was accepted to TUSVM as well!! im super excited, nervous and anxious..I am looking forward to meeting my class mates. not sure what to expect from the class of 2014, but hopefully everyone will be super friendly!
So im moving down from a city like hometown, So i was seriously considering Auburn, to ease the adjustment of the move.. but i definatley want one roomate for my first yr at least so i dont get all lonely.. Any suggestions on roomie hunting?

My class has a facebook page. There are lots of discussions on housing, roommates, etc. Check to see if TUSVM has something similar or try to find an AU vet student. I would also call the admissions office. They might possibly have a list of people looking for roommates and or people looking to sell/rent their trailers/apartments/condos. Good luck with the roommate search and congrats on your acceptance

So i was seriously considering Auburn, to ease the adjustment of the move.. but i definatley want one roomate for my first yr at least so i dont get all lonely.. Any suggestions on roomie hunting?

Have you tried an email to the TU c/o 2014 email? Since it's an official-ish form of communication for all the new students, you might have some luck there.

@ AUgirl, great idea about contacting admissions.. i would have never thought of that..

and yea i've checked out the yahoo TU email.. there are some nice places, but before i make the dive into a lease.. im cautious about the environment.. since im no where near to check out the apts, until i move down for the yr.. so im in a little pickle..:cool: I emailed c/o 2013 president today.. so hopefully he'll point me in the right direction :p

I would call Auburn Admissions office (office of academic affairs) too. Most Tuskegee students live in the Auburn area and commute in. It wouldn't hurt to check out the AU students who need roommates or are selling/renting places. Let me know if you need the phone number.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but interview invites went out today and I got an interview for SERP?
I was just wondering whether or not any of you guys that currently attend Tuskegee got in via SERP, or at least have any info about the program? I just curious about how many people they let into the program and how many spots they are competing for...
Thanks in advance!