Tutoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UnbrokenThread

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have the opportunity to do some tutoring for the school. They will pay me 7.80 /hr to tutor in classes that I have already passed.

Also, some people in my current classes want me to tutor them for the rest of the quarter, and in the following classes in the sequence.

When putting this on a resume would these things be separate. The first is more like a job, while the second seems more like volunteering, but I am not sure.
 
that wage is crap. if you're that good, put up some posters and offer to tutor people on your own. you can get $30/hr pretty easily that way.

make the money and list it as a job.
 
I tutor as a volunteer, but I used to tutor for 10.75 an hour at my old school (btw, your pay is terrible).

The first one is, however, a good EC. The second one seems like group studying, but may it can count as simul-tutoring.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Get yourself some better wage. I've made a lot more money doing just that. See if you can teach groups - there's tutoring + leadership = great EC.
 
I have the opportunity to do some tutoring for the school. They will pay me 7.80 /hr to tutor in classes that I have already passed.

Also, some people in my current classes want me to tutor them for the rest of the quarter, and in the following classes in the sequence.

When putting this on a resume would these things be separate. The first is more like a job, while the second seems more like volunteering, but I am not sure.
It's better if they are listed separately, one under Employment-nonMilitary and the other under Teaching. A stronger volunteer teaching position would be where you are performing an off-campus community service, ideally for someone or an organization with marginal economic resources, perhaps in a poor school district.
 
Yeah they pay very little amount to classroom tutors. If you want to make money though check with private tutoring. Anyways I would list them separately.
 
You also do like... 2 hours of work a week as a classroom tutor/TA. In my university's case, we got paid a "wage" that's supposed to include hours we attend lecture, but of course the tutors don't.
 
I also got a job teaching physics and being a supplemental instructor for organic.($8/hour)

I've deferred to the fall because of MCAT prep, but realistically this is going to cut into my clinical job I have right now ($10/hour).

I support myself so the pay is pretty important. I have a solid leadership ec already, but being employed by the school teaching mcat relavant courses seems pretty big to me. I'm going to have to sleep on it.

OP, I think tutoring for a school > free lance tutoring. Anybody can tutor math 092 and call themselves a tutor. Few get the opportunity to do it under school circumstances. The pay just sucks.