two book questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathResBlog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's time to start using my book funds. I've dug through lots of threads here and gotten some great recommendations, but I have two quick questions.

What do people think of Differential Diagnosis in Surgical Pathology? As a PGY-1, I basically know nothing. I couldn't find any good opinions on this book, and my program doesn't have a copy.

Regarding Mais's Quick Compendium of Clinical Pathology, is it worth getting the new edition (484 pages), or should I stick with the highly praised older edition (100 pages)? My program only had a copy of the old edition. I know about the typos.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's time to start using my book funds. I've dug through lots of threads here and gotten some great recommendations, but I have two quick questions.

What do people think of Differential Diagnosis in Surgical Pathology? As a PGY-1, I basically know nothing. I couldn't find any good opinions on this book, and my program doesn't have a copy.

Regarding Mais's Quick Compendium of Clinical Pathology, is it worth getting the new edition (484 pages), or should I stick with the highly praised older edition (100 pages)? My program only had a copy of the old edition. I know about the typos.

Thanks!

You talking about the Haber book? Honestly, I thought it was a waste of money. I've used it maybe twice in two years. When previewing, I typically go to one of the main surg path texts or a blue book. If I need a quick nugget of info, pathologyoutlines.com is much quicker (and heck, actually has color pics).

You talking about the Haber book? Honestly, I thought it was a waste of money. I've used it maybe twice in two years. When previewing, I typically go to one of the main surg path texts or a blue book. If I need a quick nugget of info, pathologyoutlines.com is much quicker (and heck, actually has color pics).

I wouldn't be that hard on it..
But it does share space with pathologyoutlines.com, and outlines is find text searchable...

But for >$200 bucks it is not a bad pathology book for residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haber is getting a bit dated. Don't spend your book fund on it. The 2nd edition Cheng/Bostwick book is the same concept and is newer.

I wouldn't be that hard on it..
But it does share space with pathologyoutlines.com, and outlines is find text searchable...

But for >$200 bucks it is not a bad pathology book for residents.

The book certainly does what it's supposed to, I just think it's lost most of it's relevance now that pathologyoutlines is out there. I can have my answer in less time than it takes to get the book off the shelf. Now that more and more people are using web-enabled phones, there's even less reason to have a hard copy of an "outlines" type book.

There might still be some use to the book for boards study. I'm not sure.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll steer clear of the Haber. Any thoughts on the Mais editions?

Thanks for the info. I think I'll steer clear of the Haber. Any thoughts on the Mais editions?

I haven't used them yet, so can't comment intelligently. Most people who took boards this year were still using the older edition (errors and all).

I suspect the newer edition has everything in the older edition plus more. I know of one person who bought the new one while still having the older one, there is more in the new one.

I just picked up the new 2nd Ed Mais on the recommendation from some sr residents & a recent grad that just took boards...haven't come close to finishing it yet but it seems less daunting than Henry's.
~$105 on amazon for the new edition.
I don't think I would have purchased it this early if I hadn't started with chemistry, though.

what's a blue book?

I just picked up the new 2nd Ed Mais on the recommendation from some sr residents & a recent grad that just took boards...haven't come close to finishing it yet but it seems less daunting than Henry's.
~$105 on amazon for the new edition.
I don't think I would have purchased it this early if I hadn't started with chemistry, though.

I bought all 3 Quick Compendium books for $270 from ASCP. I'm not sure if they're still running the same package deal. If you plan on getting all 3, just get them all at once.

----- Antony